Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 11:13 AM

595 posts, read 2,729,922 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to check out this thread....I've been watching it grow and finally decided to look at it. Way to much to read....anybody want to give me the high points?

Old 12-27-2007, 11:21 AM

138 posts, read 514,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
Just wanted to check out this thread....I've been watching it grow and finally decided to look at it. Way to much to read....anybody want to give me the high points?
Houston is more Int'l and Dallas is more of a real Texas city. That was basically what I got.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:27 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,594,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogod View Post
What definition are you referring to?
"""1. free from local, provincial, or national ideas, prejudices, or attachments; at home all over the world."""?

Thats a vague definition, and I dont know how you can say its a "fact" that Houston is more of that than Dallas. I don't know that Dallas is more cosmopolitan than Houston, but I do know that its not a fact either way, its just an opinion.
Sense 3 would probably be the one that fits the best.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:14 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,433,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogod View Post
Downtown Dallas is at 19.5%, downtown Houston is above 10%.

See: http://recenter.tamu.edu/mreports/
On the Dallas and Fort Worth report check page 45, for the Houston report check page 36.

Some other interesting things to note in those reports:

There is a lot more office construction and renovation going on in downtown and uptown Dallas (> 1 million sq feet each) than downtown Houston (55,000 sq feet).

Dallas almost has the same amount of office space as Houston without including the Fort Worth side of the area. But it does have a much higher overall vacancy rate (almost double).

Office spaces is much more spread out in the Dallas area than in Houston, where it seems like they are more concentrated into a fewer smaller districts. That bodes well for mass transit in Houston.

Dallas and Fort Worth have about 5.7 million sq ft of office construction going on, whereas the Houston area only has about 3.6 million sq ft.

Downtown Houston has 30 million sq ft of class A office space, whereas downtown Dallas has 23 million. Uptown Dallas has 6.5 million.
Dallas CBD office space is not even close to Houston CBD: http://gkc2.cbrichardellis.com/LocalReports350.asp

Uptown Houston has 31 million square feet of office space.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:28 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,156,264 times
I didn't know that my stating that Dallas FEELS more cosmopolitan than Houston to me would cause such problems. I also stated it was an opinion.

Why do I think that?

Everything is based on each of our personal perceptions. With the oil refineries and oil industry in Houston, it seems very Texas to me.

My sister used to work in fashion in the markets in Dallas, and when I visited there, people from New York, Paris, etc. were interacting with the Dallas fashion scene. To me, in my opinion, that made the Dallas I was in feel more like a city that could exist beyond Texas. Again, it is just my personal perception. I certainly understand other people feeling differently. I did not base my statement on fact--just on personal opinion and perception. I understand why others might feel differently.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:37 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,433,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I didn't know that my stating that Dallas FEELS more cosmopolitan than Houston to me would cause such problems. I also stated it was an opinion.

Why do I think that?

Everything is based on each of our personal perceptions. With the oil refineries and oil industry in Houston, it seems very Texas to me.

My sister used to work in fashion in the markets in Dallas, and when I visited there, people from New York, Paris, etc. were interacting with the Dallas fashion scene. To me, in my opinion, that made the Dallas I was in feel more like a city that could exist beyond Texas. Again, it is just my personal perception. I certainly understand other people feeling differently. I did not base my statement on fact--just on personal opinion and perception. I understand why others might feel differently.
That's fine. Its your opinion. We you are down in the NASA area of Houston, and astronauts, scientists, and engineers from all across the globe are walking around and doing what they do, it makes Houston feels more cosmopolitan to me. Much more than fashion.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:19 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,594,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
Petroleum refineries and fuel exploration are found all over the world. What Houston has going on is not your every day Texas tea farm.

Quote:
My sister used to work in fashion in the markets in Dallas, and when I visited there, people from New York, Paris, etc. were interacting with the Dallas fashion scene.
Well, there's just as much as a fashion scene in Houston, so...

I still stand by my comment saying that cosmopolitan isn't really a term that allows opinion.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:31 PM

26 posts, read 149,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Dallas CBD office space is not even close to Houston CBD: http://gkc2.cbrichardellis.com/LocalReports350.asp

Uptown Houston has 31 million square feet of office space.
Downtown Dallas has less office space than Houston. I mean, it should be that way, seeing as we have DT FW as another core for the area not too far away. DT Houston has roughly 50% more office space than DT Dallas in both the reports you linked to and the ones I did. But as you can see in the reports I linked, class A space between the DT Dallas and Houston is not that different. And its almost the same if you include Uptown Dallas across the freeway.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Sense 3 would probably be the one that fits the best.
So Houston "belongs to all the world", but Dallas doesn't. You are honestly telling me you think that is a fact and not an opinion?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
That's fine. Its your opinion. We you are down in the NASA area of Houston, and astronauts, scientists, and engineers from all across the globe are walking around and doing what they do, it makes Houston feels more cosmopolitan to me. Much more than fashion.
Don't you think Dallas has the same thing with the tech industry in Richardson, Plano, and Las Colinas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas