Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM

11 posts, read 33,269 times

Advertisements

I've read multiple threads regarding utility companies and high cost of electricity.

I thought I'd ask a different question.

Is there something in the works that will help decrease high cost of electricity for the state of Texas in the near future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
The cost of electricity isn't going down, anywhere, anytime. However, some users do learn to become more efficient in their use of their electricity.

Texas leads the nation in the development of wind farms. You may have heard Boone Pickens speak of them. Texas is agressively pursuing that development and leads the nation in wind powered electricity. The challenge there is getting that electricity from west Texas to large cities.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 PM

71 posts, read 206,713 times
Solar panels are increasing in efficiency and are getting much cheaper. There are companies aiming for $1 a watt, which would make solar viable.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:27 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,485 times
The problem is not the wind - it's generated power transmission and reliability when the wind is not blowing. WillysB is on the mark.

We're working on it. In the interim we will pay for low sulfur coal from Wyoming and and natural gas to keep the turbines turning and pray that rainwater keeps all hydroelectric plants supplied from lake water at their maximum hydraulic head pressure. Tomorrow it will be 100F at my house so I currently have little concern over running my AC unit and its impact on my carbon footprint (man, I apoligize if I sound like I'm whining).

T Boone says 10 years to solve the problem - I say 20 with some improvements in electrical energy storage technologies and the use of tidal wave energy.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brently54 View Post
Solar panels are increasing in efficiency and are getting much cheaper. There are companies aiming for $1 a watt, which would make solar viable.
I take it you are talking about nanosolar? First off that company does look promising except they can't ramp up their production even though they've developed 1gw/year production machines. They say they are sold out of their product for the next 12 months which gives the impression that they are shipping their product. As far as I know, I've seen nothing in the general public. Who knows if that product will even make it to market. Some big electric utility will probably buy them out and throw the technology in the basement or make private pv solar farms. Which makes a lot of sense because first solar is doing the same thing. Only selling it's production to large scale pv systems. Heaven forbid that people install pv panels on their roof and say the hell with electric companies.

Last edited by killer2021; 08-07-2008 at 01:18 AM..

Old 08-07-2008, 10:34 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie B F View Post
Is there something in the works that will help decrease high cost of electricity for the state of Texas in the near future?
Start demanding nuclear power. We've got too much tied up in natural gas, coal is filthy, and wind/solar isn't efficient enough yet to be cost effective. If we built some nuclear plants we could carry the state through the period of time it will take for wind/solar to become more cost effective.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
nuclear has a small margin of error--I really do not trust anyone to deal with the complications of using nuclear fuel for energy--

Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Electing some Democrats to the state lege and governor's office is probably your best hope for re-regulating the electricity industry in Texas. Clearly, deregulation hasn't worked as promised.

In the meantime, your best bet is to move to a city like San Antonio which has a municipal electric utility.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:19 PM

11 posts, read 43,182 times
Deregulation is always the best option. The LESS government interferrence, the better.

If the DEMOCRATS would allow us to build more COAL plants and NUCLEAR plants to provide more electricity, we would have CHEAPER rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Electing some Democrats to the state lege and governor's office is probably your best hope for re-regulating the electricity industry in Texas. Clearly, deregulation hasn't worked as promised.

In the meantime, your best bet is to move to a city like San Antonio which has a municipal electric utility.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:09 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
nuclear has a small margin of error--I really do not trust anyone to deal with the complications of using nuclear fuel for energy--
Nuclear energy is much safer than 20 years ago... look at the technology that we have devloped for France that we hardly even use. It's clean, safe, and inexpensive. The only question is what to do with the waste, but even those processes have been improved in recycling the waste for reuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas