Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:28 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Texas is a fantastic place. It's not for everyone, but it is for me. And I am not a native Texan, although it is my home and probably will be for the rest of my life.
Same here. Texas is my home now and the members of my family that live here feel the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 04:30 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
DH and I are both native Texans. We left a few years ago because he got a job offer we just could not turn down. The move was right for us, and we found OKC to be a wonderfully nice surprise, but our hearts will always be in Texas. Don't know if we will ever get to move back home. Most all of our family is there, and we get back there all the time. We are there once or twice a month, not counting DH's frequent business trips there.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:26 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
I fully plan to leave Texas as soon as the transportation industry picks up. I previously worked as a city planner, and transportation analyst with several transportation agencies through the west part of the country. But now, city budget cuts have taken their toll around the nation, which leaves jobs rather scarce for the time being.

Never did I think I would still be living in the Austin area after 8 years of truly experiencing "how the other half lives". I guess that would be the Texans! The culture, environment, and overall arrogance is enough to drive anyone crazy, especially about such an overall substandard state in this country. And the double whammy comes while living in Austin. Extreme arrogance over an EXTREMELY ordinary unremarkable place. As a California native, I have yet to meet a California transplant in this area who can stand it here. (many were forced from their homes in CA due to foreclosure, and live here JUST to have a nice home)

To make the pain easier to deal with, I spend a good amount of my free time with many friends that I have in the Dallas area. Dallas is clearly the star of Texas, and with so much high end people and areas up there, you can actually forget you are in Texas (briefly). I have such great times in Dallas/Plano/Addison/Frisco,etc, and have met so many great people up there. It's funny because not ONE of them will ever come down to Austin to visit me. Most of them wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near Austin. I can't exactly say that I blame them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Just curious as to why folks have left Texas? I would be interested in the rationale......Thanks in advance....

Old 03-27-2011, 12:11 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I fully plan to leave Texas as soon as the transportation industry picks up. I previously worked as a city planner, and transportation analyst with several transportation agencies through the west part of the country. But now, city budget cuts have taken their toll around the nation, which leaves jobs rather scarce for the time being.

Never did I think I would still be living in the Austin area after 8 years of truly experiencing "how the other half lives". I guess that would be the Texans! The culture, environment, and overall arrogance is enough to drive anyone crazy, especially about such an overall substandard state in this country. And the double whammy comes while living in Austin. Extreme arrogance over an EXTREMELY ordinary unremarkable place. As a California native, I have yet to meet a California transplant in this area who can stand it here. (many were forced from their homes in CA due to foreclosure, and live here JUST to have a nice home)

To make the pain easier to deal with, I spend a good amount of my free time with many friends that I have in the Dallas area. Dallas is clearly the star of Texas, and with so much high end people and areas up there, you can actually forget you are in Texas (briefly). I have such great times in Dallas/Plano/Addison/Frisco,etc, and have met so many great people up there. It's funny because not ONE of them will ever come down to Austin to visit me. Most of them wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near Austin. I can't exactly say that I blame them.
Wow, you sound like an arrogant snob. I'm pretty sure Texas will be even more glad to see you go.

Last edited by Two4damoney; 03-27-2011 at 01:09 AM..

Old 03-27-2011, 01:25 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,781 times
Tired of the heat, crime, high number of abandoned pets running up and down the street, people dumping their dogs out highway 16 where we use to live, constantly hearing about the drug war near the border (no it didn't affect my day to day life in San Antonio, but hot damn I'm tired of living near/hearing about it), tired of stop and go rush hour traffic, tired of my not knowing Spanish being such a big deal, tired of not having seasons, tired of dry river beds, tired of droughts and water rationing, tired of burn bans, tired of high number of diabetes and high percentage of obesity, tired of being known as living in an "obese state," etc etc..

So my wife and I moved to Iowa 3 months ago!

Small town, enjoy all seasons, low crime rate, full and wide rivers, actually good news on the nightly news, no rush hour traffic to speak of, ...heck yeah, sign me up!

The only thing I miss from Texas is my family and listening to Lisle and Hahn in the morning. Where we are now is just a much better place (school comparisons, crime, etc etc) to raise a family. Sorry Texas...

Old 03-27-2011, 01:44 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,781 times
Quote:

I suspect it's more that your friends don't want to drive down to Austin to visit you, rather than it being something specifically against the city. Do you find yourself always having to drive to Dallas to visit them...? Might be time to reevaluate those relationships...

You're in the city known for it's live music, with "more music venues per capita than any other U.S. city." You're telling me you've experienced all Austin has to offer, and it's just an "extremely ordinary unremarkable place?" And that people from California wouldn't appreciate the abundance of music, opportunities for musicians, culture of musicianship that Austin has to offer? Something sounds way off...and I'm a guy who moved AWAY from Texas (San Antonio)and found happiness elsewhere. I'm not a blind Texas fanatical, but something sounds way off to me about your post..

Old 03-27-2011, 01:52 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
Yeah, I agree. California was a good state to live in at one time. Not anymore. My family is here in Texas but I have friends that I call back in California once in awhile and they all say they want to leave and move to another state.
As a native Californian who went to college in Texas I have to say I agree. California WAS a great state but, sadly, no longer is. That's why I'll be returning to Texas.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:26 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Quote:

What is it with people who move to Tx and then gripe and whine that this is their only choice. How about trying N. Mexico or Arkansas? If you can't stand it, why do you stay? Why not go back home to the land of milk and honey? For every whiner, there are 9 new residents who actually appreciate living in Tx.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Seems as though I answered a similar thread but I can't find where I have said anything in this one.

I left Texas over forty years ago due to military service, school and a career but now I am back. Texas has good people, good music and lots of space. What else is there?

Old 03-27-2011, 05:58 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Quote:
As a California native, I have yet to meet a California transplant in this area who can stand it here. (many were forced from their homes in CA due to foreclosure, and live here JUST to have a nice home)
My family has built homes for literally hundreds of California transplants who have been happy here for decades. Many of them have had several homes built by my Father as their economics rose with their careers. I guess you just aren't running in the right circles to hear the success stories.

Quote:
I know a lot of folk in those areas. Work with a bunch of them on various projects around the country. Some I count as friend, others I wouldn't wish on a rattlesnake. Heard someone say once that it takes all kinds and their buddy replied; nope, all kinds are just here.

Just as all Texans are not country rubes or cow-**** kicking hicks, not all Dallasites are really Texans. Many are migrants of the fashion or financial industries and are no more enamored of Texas than you claim to be and have never adopted a "Texas" mentality. Home is where the heart is, not simply where you hang your hat. If you found a bunch of discontented people to hang with, great! Just don't try to sell them to me as representatives of Texas.

Now, I will admit that Austin is a tough sell to most Texans in that it has been a magnet for out-of-staters and "hippy" types for generations. That has left a lot of Texans wondering if there was any Texas left in our capital. Myself included. It was a hard decision for me to leave San Antonio for this liberal centric town, but I have to admit it is not nearly as bad as I had feared. There are a lot of nutcases, and most of them are very politically minded and "vote early and often", but there are a lot of nice people here. I am glad I am where I am.

During my stints outside of my home state of Texas, I have lived in Virginia, Alabama, North Carolina, California (north and south) and have spent extended periods in Colorado, DC, Philadelphia, and Toronto. They are all great places to visit and have good things going for them. There are parts I would love to bring back to Texas, but nothing I would like to leave Texas for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas