Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:09 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times

Advertisements

Lookin for a couple recipes for Okra. I had a Cream of Okra soup a long time ago and it was really good. ?
Also other recipes for Okra...fried etc.

Thanks,
HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 10:30 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
Okra soup? That's a new one on me!

I like to boil okra til not quite done, drain the water and put a can of Rotel tomatoes in it and heat thru til the okra is more done.

Of course, the best way on earth is to fry it.......it's good by itself, but I also like to cut it in small pieces and mix it with pieces (thin slices) of yellow squash and chopped onion....dampen it a little and mix it with a little corn meal....drop it into a big skillet of very hot grease (maybe an inch deep)....when it starts to brown, turn it over and stir around.....turn the heat down some so it'll cook thru....I usually turn it back up just before taking up so it'll be good and brown. Drain it on a paper towel because it does tend to retain grease and salt good.

That's my way.......look forward to hearing what other people do with okra!!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:31 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
Default Ok of the Okra...

good idea to use the squash. I don't think too many folks are short on Yellow or Zucchini now...

Thanks,
HW

Old 08-11-2008, 02:50 PM

52,690 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Default Fried and Battered

Unless I use it in gumbo, I'd much rather fry it.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:48 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Unless I use it in gumbo, I'd much rather fry it.
How do you make your gumbo?

Ours is just sliced okra, chopped white onion, tomatoes and salt/pepper...and I always add cayenne to mine if I'm making it only for myself.

I must be the only Texan in the world who doesn't like fried okra/squash....OR...green tomatoes!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 04:11 PM

52,690 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
How do you make your gumbo?
I'm still trying to fine-tune it. I'll get back to you when I get it right.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:01 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
I like okra fried, cut in thin slices, rolled in a mixture of yellow cornmeal and flour (less flour than cornmeal), panfried. I'm also like GayleTX in adding to it, but I've never tried it with squash. One time I went to fry okra for supper, didn't have enough for a mess, so went out in the garden and got some green tomatoes. I cut the okra slices a little bit thicker, cut the green tomatoes and onions into chucks (rather than slicing the green tomatoes) rolled it all in the cornmeal/flour mixture and fried it and really liked it, so what started out as trying to stretch the okra turned into a new dish.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
A friend of mine turned me onto smoked Okra. I am not kidding. It sucks out that snoughty flavor I have disliked as a child.

Smoke it on a pit previously used for brisquet. I can tell you, I loved it with smoked tomatoes, jalapenos and onions.

Frying okra is like frying a booger - sorry, Okra is a tempermental veggie in my house.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:43 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
A friend of mine turned me onto smoked Okra. I am not kidding. It sucks out that snoughty flavor I have disliked as a child.

Smoke it on a pit previously used for brisquet. I can tell you, I loved it with smoked tomatoes, jalapenos and onions.

Frying okra is like frying a booger - sorry, Okra is a tempermental veggie in my house.
Hmmm, I was wondering if okra was good--never tasted it. Now after reading your comment I don't want to ever taste it!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:56 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
I love okra--even steamed and boiled. When we lived in Akron, Ohio, our best friends had never eaten okra. On a trip to Texas, we got some fresh okra and took home and steamed for them. The wife of the couple took one bite, tried to swallow it, and threw up. It was the "snotty" effect. But, once you get past that, okra is a delicious dish. And, that effect doesn't exist when it is fried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas