Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:39 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,464 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will move (legally) to USA next year. I am brazilian, white, and I intend to live in Texas, preferentially in a small city. I like simple things.
My life plan is to buy a house (simple) to live and a heavy truck to work like owner truck driver.
I choice Texas because many people say in Texas has many baptist and I am baptist. Is it true?
I would like know how the texans see the foreing? Anyone can help with informations or sugestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
Do you speak Portegese or Spanish? Texas speaks english primarily, but alot of people speak Spanish. So you'd be ahead if you speak Spanish. Obviously, you know english also, so your ahead there. Certainly being from another country is NOT a problem in the US. We all started from somewhere else, if you count ancestors. I don't know what religion is most common in Texas. Certainly Baptist is one of the common religions, but not the only religion. There is alot of tolerance for different people and religions, so none of your choices would be offensive to anyone....that I know.
It sounds like you have a good plan. Anywhere in Texas would fit the bill for what you want. I wish you success in your endevers.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Keep in mind Texas covers some of the largest land area of any U.S. state, and we have many many towns and cities. You may want to be more specific about where you want to live, like near a lake, sea, forest, hills; so people can give you accurate informantion. Best wishes to you.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:14 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Catholics are the most predominant in Texas

However it's a ''minority majority.'' It's likely if you add up all non-Catholic Christian denominations, that will be the majority.

Rule is generally north half is Baptist, south half is Catholic:

http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.c...urchbodies.gif

Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 AM

13 posts, read 15,131 times
What part of Texas do you wish to re-locate to amigo?

Old 08-22-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianOutlaw View Post
What part of Texas do you wish to re-locate to amigo?
Hi Indian Outlaw,
I make not a decision yet. When I arrive I will choice. Maybe I'll wish a small town near a big one. I don't know. I accept sugestions.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Do you speak Portegese or Spanish? Texas speaks english primarily, but alot of people speak Spanish. So you'd be ahead if you speak Spanish. Obviously, you know english also, so your ahead there. Certainly being from another country is NOT a problem in the US. We all started from somewhere else, if you count ancestors. I don't know what religion is most common in Texas. Certainly Baptist is one of the common religions, but not the only religion. There is alot of tolerance for different people and religions, so none of your choices would be offensive to anyone....that I know.
It sounds like you have a good plan. Anywhere in Texas would fit the bill for what you want. I wish you success in your endevers.
Hi ShaneSa,
Thank you for your interest.
I speak portuguese, Spanish and (bad) English.I love USA and the Americans because its tolerance for different people. The decision to move is a dream since when I was a boy. Now the time is coming. I hope all will be good.
(Forgive my bad english)

Old 08-22-2008, 05:35 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Here is a link to another religion map of the United States. Just click on the religion you want to know about and it'll show you the percentages. Most of the Catholics are basically living along (and inward somewhat) the Mexican border.

You will find many Baptists in Texas, so don't worry about that.

Map Gallery of Religion in the United States

Old 08-23-2008, 07:38 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Hi ShaneSa,
Thank you for your interest.
I speak portuguese, Spanish and (bad) English.I love USA and the Americans because its tolerance for different people. The decision to move is a dream since when I was a boy. Now the time is coming. I hope all will be good.
(Forgive my bad english)

your english is far far better than most american's 2nd language......

this is the only nation that i can think of that does not teach its children a 2nd (or even 3rd) language during most of their school years......

Old 08-23-2008, 08:37 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Default Welcome to Texas and America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Hi,

I will move (legally) to USA next year. I am brazilian, white, and I intend to live in Texas, preferentially in a small city. I like simple things.
My life plan is to buy a house (simple) to live and a heavy truck to work like owner truck driver. I choice Texas because many people say in Texas has many baptist and I am baptist. Is it true? I would like know how the texans see the foreing? Anyone can help with informations or sugestions?
Many years as an official of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, I had the opportunity of showing an official of the Brazilian Ministry of Agriculture (Ministério da Agricultura, Pecuária e Abastecimento or MAPA ) the agricultural aspects of Lubbock, Texas. We had to use a Portuguese translator from Texas Tech University at Lubbock but it worked out fine.

There are many Baptists in Texas. My family who are all native Texans are also Baptists. Also I should say that I was also once semi-truck driver. It is a very honorable profession.

Good luck in your move and stay safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas