Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:45 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
I might be guilty of trolling a bit. But Texans are just too easy. Look, I live in Texas, I'm not from there, I, too, have traveled widely and I just don't think Texas is terribly unique. Everywhere I go has good points and bad but all too many Texans are guilty of overlooking the bad when it is inside their border. The fact that a number of people here got their backs up over a simple observation only confirms it in my mind. If Texas is so great, it can stand a little criticism, eh?

You know the "Don't Mess With Texas" bumper stickers? Do you think that "Don't Bother With Texas" stickers would sell? I think they would really fly off the shelf.
Um, you do know what that bumper sticker actually means, don't you? Since you live here, you must know that it's the anti-litter campaign slogan. True, some Texans have expanded on the original intent but either way the slogan is by Texans, for Texans and about Texas.

Why in the world do you care? You won't change the way we feel about our state. Of course we all know the problems within our state. No one said otherwise. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't enjoy the more positive aspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 11:37 PM

225 posts, read 342,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Um, you do know what that bumper sticker actually means, don't you? Since you live here, you must know that it's the anti-litter campaign slogan. True, some Texans have expanded on the original intent but either way the slogan is by Texans, for Texans and about Texas.

Why in the world do you care? You won't change the way we feel about our state. Of course we all know the problems within our state. No one said otherwise. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't enjoy the more positive aspects.
I agree with you that everyone should enjoy the more positive aspects of wherever they live (and work on the negative), I just run into so many Texans who have put Texas on a pedestal and really run down the rest of the nation and world. You rarely catch people from other states doing this sort of thing, and not because their states are substandard, just because with a few exceptions, residents of other states don't think that way.
I guess my aim here is to get those overzealous Texans to stop taking the state so seriously. After all, it is just a piece of land in the end.
...And yes, I know about the anti-litter campaign, but it would appear that I am in the minority there.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:34 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
nope i didnt say criticism is not allowed. heck, every regular here knows how much i have criticized South Texas and how much I dislike it. like i said, people DO need to hear all viewpoints based on everyone's experiences.

Quote:
I am not unhappy living in Texas, just like I was not unhappy living in lots of other places. You have to make of it what you can. Some Texans behave like the overly patriotic - meaning you completely love it and never speak ill of it, or you should get out. I will point out where Texas can improve and I'll praise Texas when deserved. Sorry, you don't own the rights to the Texas brand and it sounds like you could benefit from a critical eye in any case. Maybe you should start a Texas thread where no criticism is allowed. Then it will just be glorious big hats, ranches and wildflowers. Sigh.
So what about my bumper sticker idea?

Old 09-16-2008, 07:26 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
What Texans do you hear running down the rest of the world (California excepted, and I think that's a mutual thing)? I hear Texans that are very proud of their state and prefer to live there over anywhere else, but that's not quite the same thing as "running down the rest of the world", now, is it?

Old 09-16-2008, 07:27 AM

189 posts, read 628,909 times
Quote:
I agree with you that everyone should enjoy the more positive aspects of wherever they live (and work on the negative), I just run into so many Texans who have put Texas on a pedestal and really run down the rest of the nation and world. You rarely catch people from other states doing this sort of thing, and not because their states are substandard, just because with a few exceptions, residents of other states don't think that way.
I guess my aim here is to get those overzealous Texans to stop taking the state so seriously. After all, it is just a piece of land in the end.
...And yes, I know about the anti-litter campaign, but it would appear that I am in the minority there.
If you see it as just a piece of land... then you are not on the same brain wave as me. What I love about Texas isn't the size.... it's the people! The people here are so caring and genuine..... plus about 95% of all my family live here. And I wasn't born here... my parents were one of those people who had to move away for a short period of time and got back here as fast as they could. I also have lived in a different state for the past 5 years... so it isn't because of inexperience of living in another state..... I just basically LOVE Texas! I couldn't wait to get back here to all my friends and family and fellow Texans!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Here is a shot from a few years back. I took this in Paris, from the east end of the Champs Elysees (Place de la Concorde). Hotel Crillon.

It's amazing how far-reaching Texas' influence is.

Last edited by PanTerra; 09-16-2008 at 09:12 AM..

Old 09-16-2008, 11:03 AM

225 posts, read 342,298 times
Was that to honor Lance Armstrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: