Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:34 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

what did we learn from Katrina--that you can teach some people but most never learn--even when it is a first hand experience...
that some people's thoughts are about as complex and far-reaching as the end of their noses...
that FEMA still has not learned how to respond and prepare for a hurricane

that the Govenor needs to call out martial law next time and forcibly evict anyone that is believed to be in a danger zone...or just turn off the phones and let them fend for themselves...

that most homes built in the hurricane zone were pretty worthless for being hurricane strong so our state building code/standards need to be drastically improved before people start to rebuild....
and since that is expensive building--most people won't be able to afford to rebuild...so there will be lots of vacant land along the water front...

that insurance rates for normal people living away from the water are going to go up...significantly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 03:50 PM

468 posts, read 1,887,239 times
If somebody is planning to ride it out, that's ok with me. But they need to be prepared to ride out the aftermath too. They need to be totally self sufficient to survive for a week or two after the storm passes and not depend on the feds to extract their sorry a@# because there's no electricity, water, gasoline, grocery stores, Walmart, McDonald's, etc.. I get a kick out anybody who actually thinks their cell phone will work after something like Hurricane Ike.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:57 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,091 times
>>that most homes built in the hurricane zone were pretty worthless for being hurricane strong so our state building code/standards need to be drastically improved before people start to rebuild....<<

I thought the same and I noticed many houses didn't have hurricane shutters for the windows or weren't boarded up.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
I believe part of the problem is that the city leaders and state told people that live in NON-flood zones or on the northern edges of Houston to "stay put". They did not want a rerun of what happened w/ Hurricane Rita. Over a 100+ people died from being STUCK in the traffic jam that Rita created. You had people clogging the arteries of the way out that really did not need to leave. Therefore, those that REALLY needed to leave where better off staying home and dealing w/ high winds and flood waters. Sure beats being stuck in your car out on the highway during a hurricane.

Along w/ the hurricane shutters - which I would put on my house PRONTO if I purchased a beach front or close to the beach property. Would you not already have the plywood needed and cut to size to reuse with each threat over time??? Do they just take it down and throw it away even if those sheets of plywood are okay. I'd have them already cut to fit and numbered. Find a safe place to keep them in the garage or something and have them ready to go. Sure beats having to do it all when your trying to evacuate and you can spend that valuable time dealing w/ getting out and preparing for it for things you can't have in advance like water & food.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:41 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
I call it ignorance and lack of common sense.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:07 AM

189 posts, read 628,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I call it ignorance and lack of common sense.
I agree... some people just seem to have the inability to think ahead or plan for the future.

My husband and I were amused when we read on the internet about a couple who had refused to evacuate when they were confronted by a police officer.... so the officer requested that they write their name and social security numbers on their forearms in permanent marker. The couple then decided to evacuate.

Maybe people just fool themselves into believing... this really can't happen to me... it's just easier to believe that than turn the TV off and get off your tush and prepare.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:05 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Quote:
Would you not already have the plywood needed and cut to size to reuse with each threat over time??? Do they just take it down and throw it away even if those sheets of plywood are okay. I'd have them already cut to fit and numbered.
I wonder about this as well. WE had a beach house and we had the plywood all cut and stored, holes predrilled for the scews etc.... took us a few hours of hard family labor to get it all boarded up. During Alicia a tornado ripped the roof off and blew out the walls a bit...but we didn't loose 1 window!

SO...everytime there is a hurricane warning (even in Flordia...) you see a run on plywood etc... and people cutting an driling holes etc...to board up.

And Hurricane shutters are a great invention..

Old 09-16-2008, 09:55 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Heh...got friends in Vicotria...they though Ike was coming their way, so they went to get their pre-cut plywood...which someone had scavenged by SOMEONE for some home project since the last hurricane

Old 09-16-2008, 01:37 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I think the media loves to focus on the few people that think they should be completely supported by the gov't and don't think they should have to plan ahead more than 10 minutes. I think you can tell if you kind of read between the lines (or between the quotes) that most people are doing okay, if not grand, at least in the mainland areas.
I think that's it. I think most people were prepared and are faring fine, as fine as can be said anyhow. I don't really think that many people are whining and complaining... it's the media sensationalizing things, as usual. People are cleaning up, helping each other, and meeting up at local watering holes to share their tales. I've driven around town some and I haven't seen the massive lines of traffic like you usually see. There are some long lines for gas in some areas, but you can tell the traffic is MUCH MUCH MUCH less than normal. Not that many people are out in comparison to a normal day. I remember seeing lots of people gassing up the two days prior to the hurricane, though.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20
I think the media loves to focus on the few people that think they should be completely supported by the gov't and don't think they should have to plan ahead more than 10 minutes. I think you can tell if you kind of read between the lines (or between the quotes) that most people are doing okay, if not grand, at least in the mainland areas.

I think that's it. I think most people were prepared and are faring fine, as fine as can be said anyhow. I don't really think that many people are whining and complaining... it's the media sensationalizing things, as usual. People are cleaning up, helping each other, and meeting up at local watering holes to share their tales. I've driven around town some and I haven't seen the massive lines of traffic like you usually see. There are some long lines for gas in some areas, but you can tell the traffic is MUCH MUCH MUCH less than normal. Not that many people are out in comparison to a normal day. I remember seeing lots of people gassing up the two days prior to the hurricane, though.

I third all this. In fact, a friend of my sisters, who did not evacuate, has not been one to ask for handouts. In fact, since many of her neighbors are also stuck in their neighborhood they have been really helping each other out. People are sharing their food, water and if they have working cell phones, those as well. That's how my sister found out that she was alright. But, the media chooses not to air these stories for some reason. When I was younger and hurricanes came through, we actually prepared well in advance. We filled all the bathtubs and sinks in the house with water and any available cartons and thermoses, etc...with water, Cooked any food that would possibly go bad otherwise so it could be eaten right away, boarded up, checked all the trees as much as we could. We did fine. One thing my stepdad, who ended up coming here yesterday said....No matter how much the media hyped get out of town, run for your lives, etc...even he had a hard time believing a Cat 2 would really do what this one did. A lot of people didn't leave because they thought the media was blowing things out of proportion. And he's no stranger to hurricanes himself, having grown up in Florida.

[+] Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas