Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 11:49 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,974,118 times

Advertisements

What can i expect from Galveston when i visit the last week in Dec? I know it wont be back to normal but will hotels/restaurants be open?

G Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:52 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Some things are open now, but I understand that service is very slow as these places are running skeleton crews. It may be slightly better in December.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
FWIW, I looked at the web site for one of Galveston's largest hotels, The Flagship, and it said that they won't reopen until January.

Flagship Hotel

I saw on TV that they took heavy damage, so other hotels may be open sooner.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:37 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,268 times
We were just there last weekend checking in on all of the in-laws. Lots of stuff still closed, at least 2 or 3 organizations still giving out free meals to residents, etc. About 1/3 of my husband's family members had land line phone service working. There is still trash piled up on residential streets. It is being picked up, but there is so much that it will just take a while. There are at least two dump sites where they are taking everything - one by the old Sea-a-Rama and the other near the post office on Broadway. If you have your windows down when driving through many of the residential areas, you get a strong whiff of mildew with a bit of mold thrown in. (People who are there - and don't leave the island - have already gotten used to it and don't smell it anymore.)

Here is a list of what is currently open: Galveston hotel/restaurant update/ (http://www.galveston.com/news185/ - broken link). That website is pretty actively managed, so I would suggest you keep checking there for updates as you get closer to your trip. More businesses will be open by December, but as tstone said, service is slow in some places right now and may continue to be so due to fewer employees. You can expect most of Tillman's hotels/restaurants (San Luis, Hilton, Landry's, Saltgrass, Rainforest Cafe, etc.) to be running at about normal speed, though, because he is able to pull staff from other locations if needed and because he doesn't want to lose out on so much potential $$ (I mean he wants to put money back into Galveston's economy). Moody stuff should be at full power, too. There were work crews at pretty much all of the Seawall hotels during our visit, so a few more of those should be open by late December. The Flagship was in sad shape long before Ike... Currently the concrete between Seawall and the hotel is pretty much gone.

The Strand was a virtual ghost town except for the people running the hoses to evac. the water from businesses. I do think some Strand area stores/restaurants will be open by your visit, but not all of them will be. Poor Yaga's can't catch a break - I hope they will bounce back.

The Lone Star Bike Rally has been moved to mid-December and I know some places are striving to be open by that time. As you said, the island won't be back to normal by the time of your visit, but it is on its way there. You will have a good variety of hotels and restaurants from which to choose. (If you are staying more than a few days, you might also consider a vacation home rental, especially those managed by individuals. They aren't all open yet, either, but I'm sure most of them could use the money since they will probably be hit harder right away from the loss of revenue. There are a few different websites to find vacation rentals, but you can also find links to them through the main galveston.com website.)

Have a wonderful trip!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:39 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
I wouldn't be too discouraged from going, but just use caution while there. There is still some work to be done there, but a lot of the places on Seawall are functioning again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas