Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 11,712 times

Advertisements

I'm starting a new job in New Braunfels, TX (currently living in New York City) in several months and would like to get opinions regarding best place to live (i'm a male, in 30's, without kids.)

I prefer Austin over San Antonio, but I know it's too far to commute everday between Austin and New Braunfels.

I was thinking however of living in San Marcos, which would allow me to work in New Braunfels but still be close enough to Austin. I could also live in San Antonio or even New Braunfels.

Does anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 07:05 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
In San Marcos, you'll likely be surrounded by college kids. Back in the day, SWTSU was a BIG party school, though I don't know if it still is today. But still, I wouldn't want to live in a college town again...

Old 11-22-2008, 09:43 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,673 times
new braunfels is a pretty cool town and its close enough to austin san marcos and san antonio. commuting on 35 is not recommended

Old 11-22-2008, 10:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
New Braunfels is a very nice town with alot to do.It is right in the heart and close by everyhting that is the hill country.But even then it will be a huge chnage from new york city.I'd take it over San Marcos any day.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:59 PM

6 posts, read 29,833 times
Check out the Stone Oak area of San Antonio (around 1604 & 281). I am originally from New Jersey, and I prefer San Antonio over Austin, San Marcos and New Braunfels. It all depends what you are looking for.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:09 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
hwy to NB/SM/SA/Aus is pretty much wall to wall traffic lot of the times---and some big trucks rolling through--driving back and forth between SA and NB would not be my idea of fun commute but plenty of people do it the opposite way--live in NB and work in SA because they don't want their kids in SA schools
there are people who do the same in Austin/NB--live in one and work in area of the other...
lots of people drive 40 mi each way commute and don't think too much of it...
but no public transport out that way except SA and Austin city buses and the college bus in SM...

NB is more family town--SM does have lots of college kids in town and around town--but it is pretty with river going through it--NB also has a river and in summer town is full of people at Schliterbaum water attraction and people riding the river...
my pref would be to live around Gruene on the river--out in the country--maybe around Wimberly in hill country or around Lake McQueeny
some of the roads around there are two lane, not that well built for heavy traffic and if you get behind someone pulling hay or heifers you could have to wait to pass...
Seguin used to be nice town but having I-35 trump I-10 has really taken the wind out of its progress over the past 15 yrs or so...

Old 12-07-2008, 11:54 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
North of new braunfels is a very nice area and far nicer than San Antonio or even central austin in may opinion. Austin itself is a nice area but the best areas to live have moved to the outskirts unless your rich IMO. I#5 is a major factor if you have to travel it as pointed out. That IMO makes seguin even a better choice now; unless you thoink taffic means nothng . Seguin is a short easy drive to NB as is many towns north of it.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:12 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,800 times
Simple question drychicken, have you actually ever been to San Antonio? Not just as a two day tourist but actually explored the city for a few days?

Old 12-07-2008, 03:14 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
but plenty of people do it the opposite way--live in NB and work in SA because they don't want their kids in SA schools
The same SA schools that are better ranked than New Braunfels schools?

SA has 15 districts within the city itself. The two largest being NISD and NEISD. Both are very good districts. Just check it out at greatschools.net

Old 12-09-2008, 10:44 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,684 times
It still is as of 2008 Still live as ever and they have extended the bars back to 2am
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
In San Marcos, you'll likely be surrounded by college kids. Back in the day, SWTSU was a BIG party school, though I don't know if it still is today. But still, I wouldn't want to live in a college town again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas