Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2006, 10:47 AM

246 posts, read 1,248,272 times

Advertisements

We've been researching Round Rock as well as the northern part Texas for the past year for relocation. We've been wondering if any locals can help us, we want somewhere were the housing isn't insane like here in vegas (300k for a 1,300 - 1,500 sq ft home), also looking for a lower crime rate (understandably the Dallas area being a big city will have crime) and good schools. Thank you for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2006, 09:29 PM

4 posts, read 18,648 times
Default Round Rock vs. Dallas Arlington etc

I have lived in both the general Austin area and south of Dallas in the Lancaster/DeSoto/Duncanville area. I still live just south of Austin because I have owned a home here for a long time and because my 19 year old son never wants to leave, however, I think there are many things that the Dallas area has that is better. Their transportation system is more upgraded and manageable than the insane traffic in the Round Rock Austin area. The school system in Suburbs of Dallas have good reps (NOT Dallas ISD). I think it depends on what you are looking for. I can tell you good and bad things about both.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:27 AM

7 posts, read 22,862 times
Default Dallas vs Round Rock

A native Dallasite, and having recently been to Round Rock to check it out for my family, I can tell you what I know. Dallas is a huge city so yes of course there is lots of crime. I dislike the extreme summer heat and the crime. Summers are slightly better in Round Rock but beware of which school your neighborhood would be in. I am told by professionals and people who live there that out of the 4 high schools in Round Rock only 2 of them don't have gangs and riots and crime and the other 2 do. The 2 to not go with are Stoney (something) Fork? Point? one of those, and Roundrock High.

They're putting in a rail system from Leander to downtown Austin where it only has a few stops and will get you there in 10 min. Sounds pretty nice. Still, the traffic is still too horrible for me in that area. I actually had a better time of traffic in Dallas than I did Austin/vicinity. However, I could live happily in Georgetown, just north of Round Rock, as long as I don't have to drive into Austin often. Give me Temple or Georgetown personally.

South of Austin is okay, I used to live in San Marcos. Big college town and as I recall, not much to do. I saw more scorpions there and in Kerrville than I ever did anywhere else. But it's sure pretty there. Whereever you move, just check the crime rates first and good luck.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:06 PM

12 posts, read 89,406 times
I've lived in Arlington all 16 years of my life. I can give you info for all three subjects you've mentioned.

Housing - The housing in Arlington is pretty cheap. The city of Mansfield, just south of Arlington, is a growing city with a lot of land so you can get a n ice house for a little as $130,000 where the same house would easily be over $500,000 in more desirable locations.

Crime - Dallas and Fort Worth and Arlington are big cities, so of course they will have more crime. Of the three, Arlington has the lowest crime rate.

Schools - I'm not in the AISD (I go to a private school in Fort Worth) but I know the AISD isn't too bad. Martin High School (in Southwest Arlington) is one of the better schools in the area even though is has a huge student population (4,000+). There was a recent problem with "fight clubs" at a school in Southeast Arlington. The inner-city high schools of Arlington aren't the greatest, but they are not bad at all when compared to those of the DISD (avoid Dallas ISD at all costs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas