Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,174 times

Advertisements

Wow, this thread reminds me of the South Park episode that took place right after the election.

Were I Republican, I would have had a hard time voting for McCain. Why? Sarah Palin. She couldn't even manage her own family. McCain would have been the oldest man voted into office. What if something happened to his ability to govern the people? At least if Obama dies, which is less likely, we have someone with much more experience to watch out for us.

And all this stuff about Texas seceding? complete bull. Would never work. All those major corporations that were mentioned? They'd all pull out. Relocate. There's more people in the rest of the country to sell things to. They're not going to bother with import taxes, etc. if they don't have to. Also, Major Corporations would all probably pull their stores, because presuming the US did embargo Texas, the Major Corporations would not want to **** off the US. Again, There are more people in the rest of the country then there are in Texas.

So cloth prices would skyrocket. Anything that could not be grown or bred would not be a food option. Electronics would cease to exist. No cable, no dish, no internet, no common things like toilet paper, paper towels, soap. I'd wager water, gas, and electricity would stay. But mattresses, wood (there may be trees in Texas somewhere, just no where near where I live...), cars, carpets, our US passports, would slowly go away. Even when we figure out how to get the goods in through Mexico, there's going to be a cost, and then this state will be as or probably more expensive to live in as California. Maybe not for rent, but for day to day things... yup.

And besides, what makes Texas so special that would make the US want to keep it? Cheap land. Which for now, they still have in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Minnesota, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 03:06 PM

7 posts, read 20,419 times
why wait for texass to secede. i say we preempt them and kick the bone heads out. the best texans are rejects from tennessee and kentucky anyway. wonder where texas would have been with out the volunteers from ky and tn at that little skirmish called the alamo.... texass, a whole nother country...... maybe if your lucky mexico would take you back.....they almost have anyway.........

Old 04-17-2009, 06:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
We don't have to secede..the State Dept has us listed as a country that Hillary visited this year

State Department Lists Texas As A Foreign Country

Old 04-17-2009, 07:52 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We don't have to secede..the State Dept has us listed as a country that Hillary visited this year

Well I guess we should thank the Obama administration for its support of Texas independence.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:55 AM

343 posts, read 942,514 times
This ranks high on the anti-americanism scale. I cant believe that buffoon Perry even brought it up. That says alot about this governor. This also goes to those people who support it. You people are very anti-american. I am glad Texas is moving more to the moderate/liberal side. In a short few years these extreme right-wingers will be pretty much extinct.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:10 AM

4 posts, read 15,198 times
Rather than secede, let's just draw the line in the sand (this time) with the 10th Amendment to the US Constitution. I would still like to visit the other states without a passport. (Couldn't get one under Napolitano's right-wing conspiracy enforcement action, anyway.)

Old 04-18-2009, 07:34 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Not too long ago, the state that makes maple syrup wanted to break away, heck, they wanted to also impeach George Bush. Nothing new here, it's just that Texas actually has a history that makes this all the more exciting and it's kind of exciting even though it will never happen!

Old 04-18-2009, 07:36 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

HA!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:02 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
It doesn't make much of a difference really, whether Texas goes away or not.

The way I see it, the U.S. of A. is destined for some sort of geopolitical split anyway.

Ironic ... the treaty refered to in these threads has more to do with border disputes than anything else, and upon after reading a speech that Sam Houston gave at the Kentucky State House one year, I come away with the impression that Texans didn't much care if they were considered a Republic or a State, just so long as they were "away" from Mexico.
Secondly, Texas never would have had to become a Republic if the then President Martin van Buren wasn't so afraid of Mexico. (annexation of Texas happened in 1845 under President James K. Polk)

The only way that Texas will be able to split away from the Union, is if 3/4 of the States in the Union vote to nullify the Constitution, and dissolve the Fed. This would give Texas, and other States, the choice to either remain in the Union, or not.

Dissolving the Fed? Our Constitution allows for it.

Another possible way for Texas to depart the Union, would be to purchase it's way out.

Texas ... What makes the State so special is the fact that they aren't so very special afterall. Texas is just as befuddled and clueles as, let's say, California and New York might be.

Though Texas might produce a mere 36% of our nations oil, and though it boasts a pretty cool Space Center, I find it highly doubtful that Texas, all by it's little ole self, could find the cojones within itself to go it alone. There's a big difference between being loud and arrogant, and being revolutionary.

If and when this geopolitical split comes, Texas will be joined by the likes of New Mexico, Oklahoma, Lousianna, and maybe Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri and possibly Mississippi and Georgia.

Throwing a few other States into the mix can present a whole 'nuther outcome altogether.
With Oklahoma, the oil production alone jumps from 36% to a better average of 42%. (more than enough to support a new Republic made up of no less than 5 former States)

Texas does have it's very own power grid, apart and separate from the east and the west grids, so Texas being the leader after any sort of split would just stand to reason. But any presumed Texan leadership would have to come at a cost, in that, folks in the State would have to settle down and acknowledge the fact that they (Texans) absolutely are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Last edited by bigskydude; 04-18-2009 at 10:13 AM..

Old 04-18-2009, 10:39 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
But any presumed Texan leadership would have to come at a cost, in that, folks in the State would have to settle down and acknowledge the fact that they (Texans) absolutely are not the sharpest tools in the shed.
Jealous? :0P

You got to give Texas and Texans their due at this moment, whether you like it or not. Lots of people around the US are just envious of us right now, especially when you're looking at ridiculous unemployment rates outside of Texas. Texas indeed is a model for the rest of the US. Personally, I hate all this media attention on Texas because we already have way too many people moving here. Of course, we always lend a hand...even like we did during the Great Depression when people left the North and came down South to Texas:

Last edited by doss1; 04-18-2009 at 10:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas