Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:05 PM

14 posts, read 37,370 times

Advertisements

We have been having a great time, although at times frustrating, starting over. We have been hitting garage sales, thrift stores and dollar stores. It's hard though cause it seems like a lot of things here are way more expensive then Seattle, but other things are cheaper so I guess it equals out in the end. Does anyone know of any good thrift store here in Corpus Christi? We only found one so far and it was not good at all. No dishes to speak of mostly clothes and furniture.

Thanks for the best wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 08:13 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeggy3 View Post
We have been having a great time, although at times frustrating, starting over. We have been hitting garage sales, thrift stores and dollar stores. It's hard though cause it seems like a lot of things here are way more expensive then Seattle, but other things are cheaper so I guess it equals out in the end. Does anyone know of any good thrift store here in Corpus Christi? We only found one so far and it was not good at all. No dishes to speak of mostly clothes and furniture.

Thanks for the best wishes!
There are three Goodwill stores in the area - they tend to have a lot of dishes but they need to be checked on a regular basis. There will be pockets of stores on Ayers and on Agnes street. The Good Shepard store is at 6 points on Alameda. Big Lots on SPID (2 locations) is also a good place to check. Watch your newspaper for Garage Sales and Estate Sales which will be on the weekends. Church Rummage sales happen from time to time. If you only buy one paper a week - make it the Friday paper so you will know what is happening on the weekend.

List of Thrift Stores in Corpus Christi

Corpus Christi Used Merchandise

True story - back in the late 1970's, I was with my Mom at a "Used Merchandise" store (this was before the word "Thrift Store" was use) and bought a set of brown dishes ($8;00 for the set) because I needed some extra sandwich size plates and I like the bowls for chili. Years later I was going to get rid of them and my son asked me to pack them away for him to use in college. He has been married for 7 years now and out of college for at least 12 years ... still using those same dishes. I keep trying to get him/his wife to let me sell them on Ebay. Turns out that the ugly brown dishes are very collectable. A while back, I could have sold each plate for about $20 and some of the serving pieces for $50. You just never know what you will find in those places, or what it will turn out to be in the future. They just won't give up those ugly brown dishes.

If you deal with any small, independent stores - be sure and ask if they can do any better on the price - they expect that.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:37 PM

14 posts, read 37,370 times
Thanks for the links. Very helpful. I have been to the big lots, wow they have a lot of stuff.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:13 AM

56 posts, read 121,037 times
Worked out well, I have a position with a company I use to work for in Michigan. I will be starting on the 13th in Houston, and doing my training in Michigan this week. Woo Hoo, Bye Michigan...

Old 03-22-2009, 06:07 PM

Congratulations Quentin!

Welcome to Texas - I hope it all works out for your family. The secret to any move is openness to the change you will surely find. Texas is much different than Michigan (says the woman who has never been to Michigan ) but I do know for a fact (after traveling quite a bit around the country) that Texans are just a bit different. IF you are determined that you will like it here - it's a certainty that you will love it here.

Don't be shy about reaching out to neighbors and introducing yourself. Texas is a friendly place.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:32 PM

56 posts, read 121,037 times
Thanks for the Advice Kibby. And yes, I am Certian I will like it there. I cant wait to get into a new place and start making some new friends. Time for a new fork in the road of life

Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
This whole thread makes me want to cry. There is nowhere to go to in this recession.

Y'all are going to get droves of people moving to TX in search of work because of the ABC news story. Then your unemployment rates will rise.

People are still moving to NC despite its very high unemployment rate. For years, it was "the" place to go, so it's hard to change that reputation.

I'd like a job. Somewhere.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
This whole thread makes me want to cry. There is nowhere to go to in this recession.

Y'all are going to get droves of people moving to TX in search of work because of the ABC news story. Then your unemployment rates will rise.

People are still moving to NC despite its very high unemployment rate. For years, it was "the" place to go, so it's hard to change that reputation.

I'd like a job. Somewhere.
It's a fact that unemployment will rise in a recession, it won't matter what state you live in. Some will be better than others. What will ultimately make the difference are the business practices, laws and regulations in various states. We now have both a recession AND and an Administration/Congressional majority that is anti-business.

Business is what drives the economy - it only makes sense to go to the pro-business states. That's what business does, they relocate ... the people follow and the states grow. The flip side is that the anti-business states never work out why they are doing so poorly.

Sometimes growing pains are a little rough but we always get through it.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:00 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
i remember that era very well........

many many many people from michigan and upstate new york migrated to the houston area......
I am an original Texan but was living in Akron, Ohio then (1980), having been transferred by my employer. I had to get out. The rubber industry was moving out of town, unemployment was high (I had a job, thank God), the weather was depressing, and the empty buildings, houses, and factories just made me ill. I had to take a huge loss on my house, but it was worth it to get out of there. My move back to Texas in 1981 was the best decision of my life. We have been very happy here even though I took a pretty large cut in pay when I quit my job in Akron and moved here.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:53 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
does anyone know exactly what news station or show did a report on Texas recently? Was it Good Morning America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas