Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you could live in any of the four, with the same standard of living, which one would you live in?
Dallas 60 22.47%
Houston 86 32.21%
San Antonio 48 17.98%
Austin 59 22.10%
None of the above 14 5.24%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:00 AM

188 posts, read 521,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Well, I guess we can all agree San Antonio is the most laid-back. Beyond that, looks like it's anyone's guess, depending on the "scenes" we're involved in, what part of town we live in, and our personal experiences.

Interesting. How does this work then? You say people in Dallas and Austin are friendly, but also pretentious and standoffish, and don't really like to talk? The word "pretentious" has negative connotations, so I'm not sure what pretentious but not in a negative way means. Likewise, Houstonians like to talk more than Austinites, but are not as friendly? Your post is full of contradictions that do not compute, like the bolded part, for example.

It is possible to be both pretentious and friendly. Being pretentious may be a negative trait, but the dictionary defines being pretentious as the expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature, in which both Austin and Dallas are full of it. However, the people there can still be cordial and neighborly. It's easier to talk to Houstonians as they have no problem talking to strangers, but they don't appear to be as 'friendly' like people are in Austin. People in Austin like to brag about their friendliness, which is very true, however it also turns out that Austinites are more reserved and think that they are the greatest in their own minds.

And I thought my posts made sense. Believe it or not, it is possible for people and cities to have both positive and negative traits. I try not to write things off completely, or make any absolute judgments or conclusions, if that makes any sense. I would think that it would be rather closed minded if I did.

Last edited by TXperson; 03-02-2009 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 04:43 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
I'm not familier with what you're talking about, you may want to find the article and/or link to post it.

What I know happened is the city legitimately changed the FBI UCR methods and came under criticism claiming the drop in crime wasn't due to an actual decrease but the different reporting method.

DPD Police Cheif Kunkle's 2008 statement reguarding the 2008 crime rate:

Crime in Dallas dropped 10 percent in 2008
By STEVE THOMPSON / The Dallas Morning News

(only a portion of the article)
"But political pressure – brought in part by the comparison – has spurred the department over the last few years to undertake a massive review of the way it records crime. As a result, it realized that in some cases, Dallas wasn't following the FBI's reporting rules to the letter, making the city look worse in relation to its peers. The agency has made changes accordingly, causing some drops in the numbers that aren't related to actual drops in crime. Even so, agency officials believe most of last year's drop was real."
"Those changes should have already been absorbed in this year's numbers," Kunkle told reporters after the committee meeting, pointing out that crime dropped in categories untouched by the accounting changes. Murders, for example, dropped from 200 in 2007 to 170 last year. That's the lowest figure for any year since 1966, Kunkle said. The city's drop in crime during 2008 was the largest since 1993, when crime fell about 15 percent. It was also the fifth consecutive year of overall crime reduction."

Link: to entire article
Crime in Dallas dropped 10 percent in 2008 | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/010608dnmetdallascrime.3f66bb1c.html - broken link)
Here, find it: //www.city-data.com/forum/texas...smackdown.html

Old 03-03-2009, 04:53 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Why? I've already proven my point.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:16 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
I keep reading that Houstons traffic is the worst, esp if your heading downtown...

Old 03-05-2009, 09:26 AM

118 posts, read 314,444 times
I voted Hou because it is the only city with sea access...

Old 03-05-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewcomer View Post
I voted Hou because it is the only city with sea access...
that can be a negative as well - Hurricanes.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:11 AM

of these 4, which would you consider to have the best (least worst)traffic?

Old 06-27-2009, 12:43 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
That's a tough one actually. My first thought is San Antonio. Houston and Dallas have good freeway systems, so traffic moves better. Austin doesn't have the road infrastructure the other cities do so traffic moves more slowly.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:53 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Houston. It's the greenest if the big four. I like green. Not a fan of the Hilll Country look. Not a fan of lots of concrete ( Dallas except in the Park Cities and around White Rock)

If O&G was centered around the Tyler Texas area, I'd be happy as a clam.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:07 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
No to San Antonio and Austin.

I live in Houston now ,and love it! I also love Dallas too, especially since I feel more at home there because it being so close to my hometown, Waco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas