Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you favor?
Houston TX 32 45.71%
Denver CO 38 54.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:56 AM

197 posts, read 797,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
How long have you lived in Houston? And how long ago was it? Why should you demand other people to tell you when you yourself never give details, only complain incessantly?

Great points.
But perhaps we need to all stop feeding the troll.
Over 40 years
I did not "demand" - get your facts straight.
My complaints are valid & truthful - & you can't handle the truth

Moderator cut: see my DM

Last edited by Bo; 07-10-2009 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 12:13 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Maybe best is SE Texas. Your type of reply is what always gets the Houston vs threads started. Dallas and Ft Worth have museums, shopping venues, hotels and cultural attractions that rival and exceed anything Houston has to offer.
The only thing Dallas has that rivals Houston is their football team. And even that is changing. I sure wouldn't bet on the Cowboys winning more games than the Texans next year.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The only thing Dallas has that rivals Houston is their football team. And even that is changing. I sure wouldn't bet on the Cowboys winning more games than the Texans next year.
Actually their lightrail kicks Houston's tail! Not only do they have further lines but they were foward thinking enough to have them grade-separated so it won't interfere with street traffic. Houston has no plans of doing that, not even on the new planned lines.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:39 PM

469 posts, read 1,452,085 times
They both have their good points, but I've got to go with Denver. I love visiting Colorado, it is so beautiful. Plus, I love four seasons, and Houston does not have that.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:47 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Listing: Houston Museum District
"With more than seven million annual visits, the Houston Museum District is one of the top cultural districts in the country. Eighteen institutions make up the Houston Museum District, and 11 are free all the time."

Houston Museum of Natural Science is the 3rd most visited museum in the country (after the AMNH in NY and the Smithsonian).

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
"The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, is the largest art museum in America south of Chicago, west of Washington, D.C., and east of Los Angeles. "

America's Best Restaurant Cities - ForbesTraveler.com (http://www.forbestraveler.com/food-d...ies-story.html - broken link)
1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. L.A.
5. New Orleans
6. Houston
7. D.C.
8. Atlanta
9. Boston
10. Las Vegas

About Houston Theater District - Houston Theater District, About Us (http://www.houstontheaterdistrict.org/en/cms/68/ - broken link)
"With 12,948 seats for live performances and 1,480 movie seats, the Houston Theater District ranks second behind New York City for the number of theater seats in a concentrated downtown area."

"Houston is one of only five cities in the United States with permanent professional resident companies in all of the major performing arts disciplines of opera, ballet, music and theater."

"Houston Grand Opera is the only opera company in the U.S. to win a Grammy, a Tony and an Emmy."

So in arts/culture/restaurants, I'd say Houston has great standing over a much further reach than just southeast Texas. A lot of people would find that comment rather insulting.
In fact, I'd say it has great standing in the entire southern half of the US.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 06:24 AM..

Old 02-27-2009, 03:10 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Actually their lightrail kicks Houston's tail! Not only do they have further lines but they were foward thinking enough to have them grade-separated so it won't interfere with street traffic. Houston has no plans of doing that, not even on the new planned lines.
Okay, that too. Definitely. Our public transportation sucks, to put it kindly.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 PM

132 posts, read 351,143 times
Not everyones cares about going to the theatre. I've never been.

I think it all depends on what someone wants out of life, whether Denver or Houston is better for them.

I like Houston because Housing can be very affordable and I believe most people are friendly.

Denver generally has less crime than Houston and has four seasons and mountains not far away.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:53 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
I wouldn't live in Houston for anything. Denver I would definitely consider.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:31 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,089,411 times
Interesting reading these comment. Check out the comments on the Denver side:

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...ouston-tx.html

Don't worry, I love Houstonians but Deverites really have not been there and don't know how friendly y'all can be.

Thanks for running this experiment C2H!

Denver Aztec

Old 03-04-2009, 09:51 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,974 times
Wasn't too impressed with Denver. Cute but then so are Seattle, Phoenix, San Diego, et al.

Denver is probably cool if you like relative geographic isolation but want a somewhat sizeable city with mountain ranges surrounding you.

Houston is massive but there's a raw charm with the diversity and cornucopia here. I like the diversity of pedestrian hoods here, old and new...from Midtown to the Strand in Galveston to Kemah's Lighthouse District to Sugarland to Rice Village to the Montrose to the growing Washington Ave scene to Hillcroft/Little India to White Oak to New Chinatown to 19th Street Heights to Old Town Spring to downtown to The Woodlands and all! Houston is just FULL of some neat s--t.

Denver is just 16th Street or downtown? Any other viable entertainment areas? Houston's downtown is not as focused as Denver's but it is still a good option here. Just one of many in the H-town metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas