Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 10:36 PM

96 posts, read 206,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
How do you know Obama is "smarter" than I am? I've read that his IQ is around 125. Mine's higher. Moreover, his supposed intelligence seems to be clouded by an overly healthy ego and arrogance. You're venturing into Obama's "silly season" here.

These people are probably the smart ones -- he can't even fill his cabinet. The Treasury Department, in particular, is empty:
Three more Obama nominees withdraw from running - Telegraph

Taking the money is not showing support for the stimulus. It's not like the money wouldn't be given out or the plan wouldn't proceed if some states didn't take it. It would just go to other states/groups. If some odious liberal group was handing out $100 bills, you bet I'd be there to collect my share of them. Doesn't mean I agree with their philosophy but I wouldn't turn down money that could benefit me personally.

Apparently, you missed my point about Texas, though. You seem to want to argue politics and there is a specific forum just for that. I was trying to get the conversation back to TEXAS. And, again, it seems to me that you are enjoying the benefits of living in a fiscally conservative state while championing far left tactics. So, you're actually the REVERSE of GOP guvs taking money from lefty programs.
So your admitting that Texas will benefit from the stimulus. I agree. And please stop with the whole "you don't deserve to live in texas" rhetoric, I fought in the military for this country, i can live anywhere i please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 10:47 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatx26 View Post
So your admitting that Texas will benefit from the stimulus. I agree. And please stop with the whole "you don't deserve to live in texas" rhetoric, I fought in the military for this country, i can live anywhere i please.
Nowhere did I say you "don't deserve to live in TX." Histrionics and hyperbole aren't valid.

And I also didn't say that "Texas will benefit from the stimulus." I don't know that ANY state will, in the long-term. I think Texas will weather the storm better than most and THAT will be attributed to the fiscal conservatism practiced here for many years, not a short and limited infusion of money from the feds.

It is quite possible that the projects and programs that begin with the stimulus money cannot be continued here (or anywhere) for very long -- once the money runs out, it's gone and we can't afford to fund unless the STATE has the money to continue them and they do prove to be beneficial. THAT WAS MY POINT. Finite, stimulus-funded projects may simply employ people for six months or a year and then put them back on the unemployment rolls.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:47 PM

398 posts, read 1,416,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinatx26 View Post

it's only putting off the inevitable and making it worse.

borrow spend borrow spend...

Old 03-06-2009, 10:59 PM

96 posts, read 206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Nowhere did I say you "don't deserve to live in TX." Histrionics and hyperbole aren't valid.

And I also didn't say that "Texas will benefit from the stimulus." I don't know that ANY state will, in the long-term. I think Texas will weather the storm better than most and THAT will be attributed to the fiscal conservatism practiced here for many years, not a short and limited infusion of money from the feds.

It is quite possible that the projects and programs that begin with the stimulus money cannot be continued here (or anywhere) for very long -- once the money runs out, it's gone and we can't afford to fund unless the STATE has the money to continue them and they do prove to be beneficial. THAT WAS MY POINT. Finite, stimulus-funded projects may simply employ people for six months or a year and then put them back on the unemployment rolls.
Which would you rather, put them on unemployment and let them sit at home and post on CityData, or put them to work? Either way, Texas would still need money from the Federal gov't to cover the large amounts of unemployment we would be paying. And this way we can get some much needed repairs done to some of our roads. Texas is also applying the largest portion of its stimulus money to education. This will definately be something that will benefit us in the long run.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:08 PM

303 posts, read 845,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuimanu View Post
Oh?

Then I suppose you find Anarchy good? Have you seen what Anarchy has done for Somalia lately?
Here's a good description, though it's over 4 years old: BBC NEWS | Africa | Living in Somalia's anarchy

Quote:
Although Somalis are able to survive and some are even prospering, everyone I spoke to in Mogadishu is desperate for a return to some semblance of law and order - schools and hospitals can only follow security on the new government's to-do list.

"I just want a government, any government will do," one man told me.

We all seem to enjoy criticising our governments but life in Somalia shows the alternative is far worse, as Hobbes wrote 350 years ago.

A former Somali army major, now a refugee in London, summed up life without a government very well.

"There is nothing you can do when kids with guns steal everything you have, even your clothes. I'm from a small clan, so I was unable to fight back," he said.

"Here, there are rules which people respect and so you can get on with your life in peace."

Old 03-07-2009, 09:34 PM

3 posts, read 10,756 times
So far the IT business is still going ok here. If you are in the IT field, check around Dallas. Lots of jobs still, of course certain IT jobs are 'recession proof' while others are not. That's what I love about networking, that's one job impossible to outsource to India! Just the downside is not a lot of newer networks going up but the need to keep the ones already up.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 PM

20 posts, read 83,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I would say a big reason TX is doing well is because the government actually balanced its budget. Also TX has a rather limited government so business can be more successful here. CA is learning the hard way when you think you can tax people and then try to use the government to master plan an economy.

Only good government is no government.
Thank you!!! Yes, I am glad there is finally some diversity in the White House, but where the hell is Obama gonna get all this money??? Our childrens, childrens, children will still be paying it off!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:38 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
Even if we had no national debt, you think our taxes would be cheaper? You think health care would be cheaper? You think Income tax would be abolished? Smurf no.

We'd still be screwed by the man and still have to give half our checks to the government. And at the same time the government would be giving illegals free health care and free education to their kids.

The National Debt means nothing but a war against the dumb countries still giving us money.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:32 AM

470 posts, read 1,162,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post

Only good government is no government.
I agree government at times can be bad but we need government, the tricky part is finding the right balance. The total 100% hands off approach will not work in most cases. You sound like one of those far right wing nuts and not a middle of the road person like I always thought you were killer....

Old 03-09-2009, 10:57 PM

3 posts, read 18,968 times
My husband got laid off from his computer tech job because the owner simply couldn't afford to pay his wages anymore. Guess a degree and military service don't get you jack when everyone's broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas