Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:29 PM

233 posts, read 835,293 times

Advertisements

Hi-
What's Laredo Like?

I've never been S. of San Antonio.

Thanks,
fallguy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 18,942 times
The mexican food is really good. The people are friendly but they like to stare. I don't think they mean anything bad by it...they just like to stare...lol. I grew up there and moved away. When I go visit, it has changed a lot in that there are shops, restaurants and hotels.

Whatever you do, don't go across the border. The drug problem is really bad so most store owners have brought their shops to Laredo so there is no need to go across the border. People get killed over there. It's not worth the risk.
I'm not sure what kind of info you are seeking so ask and I'll try to answer more specifically.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 18,942 times
I forgot to mention that one of the best times to go is in February when the George Washington festivities are running. They have jalapeno eating contests, big carnivals, a parade, The Georges Washington debutantes in their stunning dresses, and a really neat Jamboozie festival downtown where a bunch of bands play on different street corners and you can walk around and listen to all the bands and drink and eat. They section off the whole town center. You can google for info.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:38 PM

17 posts, read 88,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
Hi-
What's Laredo Like?

I've never been S. of San Antonio.

Thanks,
fallguy
Good Keep it that way. You are very fortunate. trust me. I live close to laredo.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patterson7 View Post
Good Keep it that way. You are very fortunate. trust me. I live close to laredo.

Patterson, can you elaborate? What is it you do not like about Laredo?

Old 07-20-2009, 04:42 PM

7 posts, read 32,328 times
hi, ive been to laredo and every place has it's ups and downs. Nuevo laredo mexico isn't that bad either...the violence is coming down and as long as you stay away from druggies and gangs you shouldn't have a problem

Old 07-20-2009, 07:48 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalo2378 View Post
hi, ive been to laredo and every place has it's ups and downs. Nuevo laredo mexico isn't that bad either...the violence is coming down and as long as you stay away from druggies and gangs you shouldn't have a problem

Now you say the druggies and gangs? Are they in Laredo Mexico or Laredo Texas?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:11 PM

556 posts, read 1,562,789 times
It has been described as the Armpit of Texas (and this by my very liberal, tolerant, inclusive sis-in-law)...

Last edited by Pontificator; 07-20-2009 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: Typo - doh!

Old 07-21-2009, 03:06 AM

13 posts, read 37,005 times
I feel sorry for Laredo. When I was 16 I went there with my Mom and grandparents because my grandma went when she was in her 20's back in the 50's and wanted to go again. We ended up leaving the next day because it was so "rough". Lots of gangs and illegal activity going on. Easily the most dangerous city in Texas. The city could have so much potential, that's why I say I feel sorry because it could be such a cool city right there on the border but with the drug cartels and stuff its just not safe.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 AM

14 posts, read 65,886 times
I just went to Laredo for the first time last week. Needless to say, there are no gang shoot outs in the streets, no drug lords stealing your kids and it doesn't stink.

The media likes to portray Laredo as a horrible city but from what I saw it is like any other city. It has its good parts and its bad parts.

I am choosing to live on the North side of town. It fits my lifestyle better and its what Im used to ( coming from Houston) but I have no issue with the South side.

Downtown was SO NEAT. It reminded me of shopping in Mexico.

Everyone was so nice and down to earth. Everyone seemed to know everyone else. Everything you could ever want to do is within 5 minutes. I love that the city has a wide selection of resturants and stores all along the freeway.

It isn't home for me, but It isn't horrible either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas