Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:54 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times

Advertisements

How would it be in today's world?

I know that this is an impossible question to answer and there were so many events that would have shaped its history, not least the Civil War.

Also, TX was much larger back then, but all aside, what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 03:10 PM

492 posts, read 962,066 times
In 1836 or at the formation of the Republic, Texas had an embassy in London. Near that location is now the Texas Embassy Cantina, tex-mex similar to that you can find in Texas today, margaritas and the appropriate yuppie crowd.

Texas would have faired well as a Republic, including a larger hispanic citizen population. Many of the maps used today for oil/gas exploration still show the original land plats and their hispanic owners, with subsequent subdivisions.

I believe the Civil War would have been less important with regard to the Texas Republic than it might have been as a state. And of course, the other 56 states wouldn't be a drag on its economy.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:52 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Mexico would have taken back over. Texas was bankrupt and defenseless when it joined the US. When Texas was a republic, Mexican troops marched unchallenged to San Antonio occupied it for a few days just to show that they're letting Texas be free temporarily.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Mexico would have taken back over. Texas was bankrupt and defenseless when it joined the US. When Texas was a republic, Mexican troops marched unchallenged to San Antonio occupied it for a few days just to show that they're letting Texas be free temporarily.
Mexico might have taken back over TEMPORARILY, but given the fact that they have never been able to manage their affairs very well, it would not have taken long for Texas to return to her Republic status.

Mexico is--and has always been--a corrupt goof. As much as I've traveled the country....and love their food and their people (those who don't cross illegally), Mexico has proven itself incapable of governing itself, let alone any territory it might manage to acquire!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:03 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Hmmmmm....

I LOVE these questions involving historical speculation/alternative history. Gotta think on this one...

Meanwhile, kudos to the OP!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:07 PM

31 posts, read 54,417 times
We'd have our own 'fence', currency, great business model (with lots less regulations/taxes/punishment fm no growth lib dummies in DC), be a great subject matter for specialize/trade with other nations etc... like a Hong Kong (with lots of land for crops/oil/production etc..)

I would be safe to say we'd be better off, but since none of us can rewrite history....

Only state that can legally fly the TX Flag same level with US flag....

Old 03-15-2009, 05:11 PM

17 posts, read 35,837 times
I think there would have been another equivalent of the War of 1812 when England tried one last time. Most Americans today have no clue how close we came to losing that war.

I think Mexico would have launched another major campaign to retake Texas but I also believe eventually, Texas would have prevailed and been ruled by an Anglo government, with Mexican and Anglo cultures commingling successfully, just as many were already doing in large part.

Mexicans have always fared better under Anglo governments than in Mexico. The answer is clear. All totalitarian forms of government - and make no mistake Mexico is one, oppress the people and steal the national treasure. Mexico is a rich land with vast resources and people who are a good, hardworking family -oriented culture.

Many Mexicans today are being misguided by all the militant movements within their country and inside ours. They are told they are not good people unless they take back what was taken from them. Throughout human history geographical conquest has been at the core of governments being able to pit the masses of people against the masses of people occupying the greener pasture.

Our Texas history was not quite that simple, but was essentially a land grab right under Mexico's nose. Mexicans took it from the indigenous peoples who were here before them, and it's the same old story for eons. But we have to ask ourselves, if Mexico were to annex Texas (since we are being so hypothetical) what would our living conditions become? Just like Mexico of course.

The Republic of Texas would have also most likely gone down the same sad path the U.S. of A. has and that is, the people become involved with amassing their wealth and materialism and get too busy to retain power, so the politicians and special interests plunder the national treasury and pass draconian laws which further usurp that power and rob the people of their liberty.

That too, is the theme throughout history. Governments are corrupt because man is corrupt. Man is corrupt because man has a sin nature. Not a popular message today but, whattya want for nothin . . . a rubber biscuit?

Old 03-15-2009, 05:37 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Default What If Texas Had Remained A Republic?

Well, America sure would be much poorer for it.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:01 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,332 times
Might have survived despite the above-mentioned attempts by Mexico to retake. A possibility would have been a "free state" with legalized gambling and prostitution etc (like pre-Castro Cuba or current Nevada or more-so) that remained "offshore" for purposes of vices and banking to be utilized by the rest of the U.S.'s brigands and opportunists. It would have needed to be treated as somewhat of a "protectorate" of the U.S. with explicit treaty-bound promise of military backup from the US in case of invasion by Mexico or other powers. I'm sure a super-Texas Rangers might have been developed with U.S. advisors that could have eventually provided Texas with it's own security.

I think if the original founding fathers of Texas had realized how much oil and ranching wealth (along with the newer technology industries) and population growth would have occured over the next hundred years they might have opted for the conditional independence I described above.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,292 times
Texas ski resorts in the Republic panhandle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas