Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,884,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL As you well know, Cathy -- my dear friend -- I consider myself a native Texan AND Southerner. Proud of both, and no contradiction in the least as in the realm of basic history and culture. The former is just a very unique part of the latter! Which in turn is another way of stating a variety on the truth that "Texas is Texas".

Regardless though, this subject will never reach total agreement (hell, I even wonder if the thread itself will ever fade from existence! LOL). Oh well, I DO think almost EVERYONE concurs that -- whatever else Texas may be -- it is NOT Midwestern! LOL
No, no contradiction at all.....after all, Texas was a major shipping port and a part of the old Confederacy, LOL!!

Unique it was, unlike any of the other states that made up the Confederacy, with a similar culture only in the very eastern part that shares the state line with Louisiana, which--along with MS, GA and AL--is as deep southern as you can get.

Texas should have listened to Sam Houston!

And no, we will never agree on this, but that doesn't keep us from being friends and fellow Texans!

No matter where I live, I'll always be a Texan...but not a southerner... *ducking and running*

Old 01-25-2010, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 16,153 times
Default Slo in da souf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
I mainly want to prove a point to my neighbor from up north, he's never wrong and according to him "We's sho is slo don here n da souf", but seriously he is the type of person that can't be told anything unless you're agreeing with him and if he see's where the majority of your posts say's that Texas is in the south maybe I can rub it in his face.

Rub it in. I have lived in the midwest, and we are definately southern. If he wants to know the difference, let me make it simple. We may be considered slow because we are not running for dear life to:
(a)get out of the cold and driving snow in the winter
(b)get away from tornados in the spring
(c)get away in the summer, period and
(d)get out of the cold and driving snow in the winter
and it's too #%$& hot too do anything fast down here in the summer. Unless you live in Amarillo or El Paso, you may get slapped calling a Texan a midwesterner.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 16,153 times
Default Proud Southerner

I'm a black woman who's proud to be a Texan. Yes, there are parts in the panhandle and out west that may be considered southwestern. But for the most part we are southern. The midwest in cold and depressing-or just depressing, take your pick (if you disagree, spend a few winter days in Wichita, Ks or Cleveland, OH-then get back with me). Geographically and culturaly we are southern, don't believe me, go down to Port Arthur or galveston in the summer and tell the difference between there and Mobile or New Orleans. Or visit Houston or Dallas at the right time and you may get a taste of Atlanta. Yeah, we were the last ones to free the slaves and yes, black folks were only allowed to go to the fair on the first monday in oct. until 1972, and although we preffer beef to pork and breakfast burritos, I'm southern and proud of it.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:23 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,065,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchbaby View Post
I'm a black woman who's proud to be a Texan. Yes, there are parts in the panhandle and out west that may be considered southwestern. But for the most part we are southern. The midwest in cold and depressing-or just depressing, take your pick (if you disagree, spend a few winter days in Wichita, Ks or Cleveland, OH-then get back with me). Geographically and culturaly we are southern, don't believe me, go down to Port Arthur or galveston in the summer and tell the difference between there and Mobile or New Orleans. Or visit Houston or Dallas at the right time and you may get a taste of Atlanta. Yeah, we were the last ones to free the slaves and yes, black folks were only allowed to go to the fair on the first monday in oct. until 1972, and although we preffer beef to pork and breakfast burritos, I'm southern and proud of it.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:27 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,294,012 times
East Texas is "Southern" but the rest of the state is definitely NOT in my opinion.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:23 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,178,892 times
Re: the State Fair I think it was more like 1962.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,763,589 times
I think the black community here is quicker to call themselves southern. The Latino community (at least in Dallas) seems to think Southwestern is more appropriate of the ones Ive talked to. Personally, I think DFW is a cross between Southern/Midwestern/Southwestern. The people here seem more southern, the landscape seems midwestern, and the large presence of hispanics make it seem more Southwestern.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:09 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,178,892 times
Not Midwestern. Sorry.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,763,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Not Midwestern. Sorry.
The landscape definately is.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:06 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,236,061 times
Do Texas natives consider Texas the South or Midwest
Texas natives don't consider Texas the south or midwest. It's a whole 'nuther country.

Geesh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas