Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times

Advertisements

I don't think Midwestern people consider it part of the Midwest, either.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:04 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I don't think Midwestern people consider it part of the Midwest, either.
I know my Midwestern inlaws don't...

Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Do Texas natives consider Texas the South or Midwest
Texas natives don't consider Texas the south or midwest. It's a whole 'nuther country.

Geesh....
You sound like the Texas tourism commercial.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The landscape definately is.
I agree with ya on the landscape. Most of the midwest is flat, open farm land. Corn and soybeans is king. The Dallas area is flat, open prairie land. The landscape definitely looks midwestern.

East TX looks like the south (tall pine trees).

Most Texans are southerners. Conservative, Christian, pro-death penalty, likes low taxes, etc.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
I agree with ya on the landscape. Most of the midwest is flat, open farm land. Corn and soybeans is king. The Dallas area is flat, open prairie land. The landscape definitely looks midwestern.

East TX looks like the south (tall pine trees).

Most Texans are southerners. Conservative, Christian, pro-death penalty, likes low taxes, etc.
I agree...I used to think people were exaggerating when they said that East Texas looks like Georgia or Alabama.

But as I drive back and forth throughout the south, I couldnt help but notice that the Tyler area, and the Longview area look just like the rural areas right outside of Atlanta.

And I would say that the North Texas/DFW area certainly looks like the midwest.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I agree...I used to think people were exaggerating when they said that East Texas looks like Georgia or Alabama.

But as I drive back and forth throughout the south, I couldnt help but notice that the Tyler area, and the Longview area look just like the rural areas right outside of Atlanta.

And I would say that the North Texas/DFW area certainly looks like the midwest.
Yeah and north of Houston (Conroe, Huntsville) definitely looks like GA and AL too. As soon as you drive north of Houston it goes from big city to rural south. One time driving north on 59 once I got to about the Cleveland area there was some guy with his truck parked on the side of the highway selling a bunch of different variations of the Confederate flag. This is definitely a southern thing. All the years that I lived in the Austin area I never saw anybody selling Confederate flags on the side of the road.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Yeah and north of Houston (Conroe, Huntsville) definitely looks like GA and AL too. As soon as you drive north of Houston it goes from big city to rural south. One time driving north on 59 once I got to about the Cleveland area there was some guy with his truck parked on the side of the highway selling a bunch of different variations of the Confederate flag. This is definitely a southern thing. All the years that I lived in the Austin area I never saw anybody selling Confederate flags on the side of the road.
Yeah, Huntsville and Conroe, Willis, Lovelady etc, all look AND feel like anywhere in the DEEP south...not just the south, but the deep south...I remember driving through Cleveland and Cold Springs and thinking that the area looks a lot like Mississippi...it could really fit anywhere in the Deep South. Marshall looks exactly like the stretch from Northern Mississippi - Northwest, LA..Other parts of Northeast Texas, Tyler area, specifically, looks more like SE Tennessee, parts of GA and interior SC imo...

Old 01-26-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Yeah, Huntsville and Conroe, Willis, Lovelady etc, all look AND feel like anywhere in the DEEP south...not just the south, but the deep south...I remember driving through Cleveland and Cold Springs and thinking that the area looks a lot like Mississippi...it could really fit anywhere in the Deep South. Marshall looks exactly like the stretch from Northern Mississippi - Northwest, LA..Other parts of Northeast Texas, Tyler area, specifically, looks more like SE Tennessee, parts of GA and interior SC imo...
Yeah that's the thing I like about TX. Even though it's one state it's different worlds rolled into one. You have the south, the southwest and the midwest all rolled into one state. Most states only have one or the other. Texas has all three. There is also a pretty big variation in the weather too. In the winter it's a lot colder in Amarillo than it is in Brownsville. Going from Amarillo to Brownsville you're going from a midwest winter to a subtropical version of winter. Going from Amarillo to Brownsville you go from snow storms to grape fruit and oranges. There again it's all in one state. Big temperature variations and big landscape variations.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:40 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
Texas is a lot of things, but Midwestern it is not. I was born and raised in the Dallas area, and lived most of my adult life either in in west Texas or the Houston area, and none of them feel remotely midwestern. I now live in Oklahoma and they do consider themselves to be midwestern.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:57 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
Quote:
Not where I live.... thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas