Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 04:41 AM

5,549 posts, read 9,534,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Yeah I agree. From Lubbock to the OK panhandle it's the Great Plains region which makes up a good part of the midwest. So geographically this northwest part of TX is just like parts of the midwest. So now the only question is the culture. Do you think there is a cultural difference between northwest TX and Kansas or northwest TX and Nebraska?
Culturally, TX/OK are going to have more akin to one another. Southern accents are quite prominent in NW/Western Oklahoma...and I've been to Amarillo/Lubbock several times and get the same accent that is much closer to some derivative of Southern speech as opposed to something that is Midwestern like KS/NE, Iowa, the Dakotas, etc.

The vast majority of Kansas is going to demonstrate similiarity with Nebraska culturally. IMO, Kansas is the prime transition state....it is a confluence of Midwestern/Western culture, and on its extreme Southern borders a very slight hint of Southernness.

No one is arguing that there are not some topographical/geographical similarities in these areas of NW/Western Texas, but to assert that mere topography warrants a segmentation of the panhandle of TX (or any part of Oklahoma for that matter) and regrouped with the Midwest is not true.

So, after all my longwindedness, the simple answer to your question is YES, there are definite cultural differences between the panhandle of TX and Kansas/Nebraska.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 04-27-2010 at 05:02 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Thank you ol' buddy! We are still gonna have to meet at Bill's Catfish one of these days and discuss the annual Red River Shootout game over the best catfish in the world and some buttered up hushpuppies! Even if you are on the wrong side of that classic match, you a still a hell of a good guy! Hook 'em Horns! hee hee!
Hahahaha!

Well 'ol Friend, I'm not so sure I'm on the wrong side of the Red River Shootout.

Keep reading the Good Book and you'll see that the Lord has a thing for the Crimson & Cream! I will gladly concede that there are stars over Texas (as it should be and rightly so), but the eye of the Good Lord is on the Oklahoma Sooners!!!

Well, there we go again. Leave it to the Okie and Texan to turn the conversation to football! LOL. (BTW, I was awfully proud of how Colt handled himself in the national championship game after getting injured. He gave witness to his faith in the Lord, which I very much appreciated. Great young man; I wish nothing but the best for him in the NFL.)

Old 04-27-2010, 11:36 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,068,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Culturally, TX/OK are going to have more akin to one another. Southern accents are quite prominent in NW/Western Oklahoma...and I've been to Amarillo/Lubbock several times and get the same accent that is much closer to some derivative of Southern speech as opposed to something that is Midwestern like KS/NE, Iowa, the Dakotas, etc.

The vast majority of Kansas is going to demonstrate similiarity with Nebraska culturally. IMO, Kansas is the prime transition state....it is a confluence of Midwestern/Western culture, and on its extreme Southern borders a very slight hint of Southernness.

No one is arguing that there are not some topographical/geographical similarities in these areas of NW/Western Texas, but to assert that mere topography warrants a segmentation of the panhandle of TX (or any part of Oklahoma for that matter) and regrouped with the Midwest is not true.

So, after all my longwindedness, the simple answer to your question is YES, there are definite cultural differences between the panhandle of TX and Kansas/Nebraska.
OK. It sounds like you live in OK so you have experience with northwestern TX and OK. So you think TX and OK are similar but neither are very similar to KS, NE, etc. OK I can go with that. I haven't met many people from KS over the years so I don't know if there are any differences between people from KS and people from TX. I would say KS and TX are definitely more similar than TX and NM. What do you think?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
OK. It sounds like you live in OK so you have experience with northwestern TX and OK. So you think TX and OK are similar but neither are very similar to KS, NE, etc. OK I can go with that. I haven't met many people from KS over the years so I don't know if there are any differences between people from KS and people from TX. I would say KS and TX are definitely more similar than TX and NM. What do you think?
>>>>>
So you think TX and OK are similar but neither are very similar to KS, NE, etc. OK I can go with that.
<<<<<

The differences are primarily cultural. As you and others have alluded to, there are obvious topographical similarities in some of the "plainsy" areas of all the states mentioned.

I've met many folks from Kansas over the years; in my experience, they are some of the nicest/laid back folks on the planet. In this sense, Kansans (and I would throw Nebraskans in there too) are very much like Okies/Texans. However, as I noted in another thread, our dialects in OK/TX are more a derivative of Southern speech, while KS/NE, etc. are gonna have a lot more Midwestern flavor to their speech and overall culture.

Also, Kansans by-in-large, are much (much, much) more understated than Okies/Texans. It is hard to describe, there just seems to be a natural spark of pride in Texans, as well as the Okies I know. Maybe it is the unique blend of Southern pride mixed with the classic Frontier spirit? Sometimes that comes across as arrogance, but what it really is, is an exuberance/zest/love for life. Okies and Texans know how to express this in a much more boisterous way. Of course, I can't think of a rowdier bunch than when the Okies/Texans get together. (From my experience, it is only those crazy Louisianans that can get wild/crazy and party like we do.....and Louisianans are the only folks that I've met that can compete with the overt pride of Okies/Texans. Maybe they just express their pride in a similarly boisterous manner like Okies/Texans?)

I would not say that Kansas shares more cultural commonality with Texas than New Mexico. Having been to both KS and NM several times, I would not say that either is overtly similar to TX. NM is definitely the SouthWEST. TX certainly has some Southwestern flavors, but it is more SOUTHwest if you know what I mean....much heavier Southern culture than Western culture. KS is a lower Midwest state that pulls from a host of cultural regions: Midwestern, Western, and a touch of Southern. Along with West Virginia, I do not think there is a better example of a transition state than Kansas.

TX is much more like OK and vice-versa....and both TX/OK have more in common with Arkansas, and to a lesser extent Louisiana (which in many ways is unlike anything....Louisiana may be the most culturally unique state because of the odd mix of Southern and French influence.....Oklahoma also has a very unique culture with its mixture of Southern/Native American/Cowboy-Frontier cultures.)

So again, at the end of the day, I do not see how Texas is Midwestern culturally in any way. I agree, there are some topographical/geographical similarities in small portions of TX/OK with KS and the rest of the West Midwest, but that is probably where the similarities stop.

Good dialogue. Cheers.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 04-28-2010 at 04:40 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 09:40 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,910,879 times
Quote:
......I would say KS and TX are definitely more similar than TX and NM. What do you think?
It depends largely on proximity, I think.

West Texas and Eastern NM are very similar, just as the Panhandle is probably similar to the parts of OK and KS that are the closest. I'm guessing at this last, since I have no experience with the upper Panhandle area, having only driven through a few times.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,987,678 times
Quote:
>>>>>
So you think TX and OK are similar but neither are very similar to KS, NE, etc. OK I can go with that.
<<<<<

The differences are primarily cultural. As you and others have alluded to, there are obvious topographical similarities in some of the "plainsy" areas of all the states mentioned.

I've met many folks from Kansas over the years; in my experience, they are some of the nicest/laid back folks on the planet. In this sense, Kansans (and I would throw Nebraskans in there too) are very much like Okies/Texans. However, as I noted in another thread, our dialects in OK/TX are more a derivative of Southern speech, while KS/NE, etc. are gonna have a lot more Midwestern flavor to their speech and overall culture.

Also, Kansans by-in-large, are much (much, much) more understated than Okies/Texans. It is hard to describe, there just seems to be a natural spark of pride in Texans, as well as the Okies I know. Maybe it is the unique blend of Southern pride mixed with the classic Frontier spirit? Sometimes that comes across as arrogance, but what it really is, is an exuberance/zest/love for life. Okies and Texans know how to express this in a much more boisterous way. Of course, I can't think of a rowdier bunch than when the Okies/Texans get together. (From my experience, it is only those crazy Louisianans that can get wild/crazy and party like we do.....and Louisianans are the only folks that I've met that can compete with the overt pride of Okies/Texans. Maybe they just express their pride in a similarly boisterous manner like Okies/Texans?)

I would not say that Kansas shares more cultural commonality with Texas than New Mexico. Having been to both KS and NM several times, I would not say that either is overtly similar to TX. NM is definitely the SouthWEST. TX certainly has some Southwestern flavors, but it is more SOUTHwest if you know what I mean....much heavier Southern culture than Western culture. KS is a lower Midwest state that pulls from a host of cultural regions: Midwestern, Western, and a touch of Southern. Along with West Virginia, I do not think there is a better example of a transition state than Kansas.

TX is much more like OK and vice-versa....and both TX/OK have more in common with Arkansas, and to a lesser extent Louisiana (which in many ways is unlike anything....Louisiana may be the most culturally unique state because of the odd mix of Southern and French influence.....Oklahoma also has a very unique culture with its mixture of Southern/Native American/Cowboy-Frontier cultures.)

So again, at the end of the day, I do not see how Texas is Midwestern culturally in any way. I agree, there are some topographical/geographical similarities in small portions of TX/OK with KS and the rest of the West Midwest, but that is probably where the similarities stop.

Good dialogue. Cheers.
If I were to describe the comparison between Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas, this would probably be the best way to say it. Its spot on, and I agree that Kansas has an oh so subtle touch of southern influence, but for the most part there is a pretty palpable drop in southern influence once one is beyond Oklahoma. But then again, the only parts of Kansas Ive actually been to are Kansas City and Emporia.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:32 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,643,483 times
Quote:
>>>>>
<<<<<

Good dialogue. Cheers.
And EXCELLENT post and points, my friend!

Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
>>>>>
<<<<<

Good dialogue. Cheers.
Yeah Texans definitely have lots of pride. I definitely agree with that. Texans have container ships of pride in their state. In the Bible God took 6 days to create the Earth and everything on it. Most Texans think that God took 5.5 days to create Texas and the last 0.5 day was to create all the rest of the universe.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
It depends largely on proximity, I think.

West Texas and Eastern NM are very similar, just as the Panhandle is probably similar to the parts of OK and KS that are the closest. I'm guessing at this last, since I have no experience with the upper Panhandle area, having only driven through a few times.
Yes this is true. I lived in Lubbock for 4.5 years and half the people in Lubbock grew up in NM (Clovis, Portales, Ruidoso, etc.).

Old 04-28-2010, 08:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,910,879 times
Yep...I'm a Tech-ex, and knew quite a few students from the bordering counties in NM. I didn't know at that time that they were paying in-state tuition. That agreement still holds today, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas