Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times

Advertisements

When the developers (Simon Malls) first announced they had changed the plans for our new mall years ago to an "open air" concept I was livid. NO WAY! Not in Texas. Who on earth would do such. Well, I've come to love it. I like the fact that if I'm only wanting to run to a "mall store" that is usually in the mall I don't have to park and walk a year and a half to get to it. I can park right in front if there is a space (but I don't do this much as I don't like all of the traffic trying to back out and pedestrains) or rather close and make a beeline straight for it. No winding my way thru a major department store and then out into the mall.

HOWEVER, I did figure out one HUGE drawback to the open air mall............ STROLLERS! What a MAJOR PITA! By the time our mall here opened, Firewheel Town Center, I did not have any kids in strollers but I've had my baby niece w/ me. In a closed air mall you just go in and out of stores w/ no hinderances. In an open air mall you have to open every single door in and out of every store. HORRIBLE! I guess this is why I don't see too many stroller pushing moms or families at this type mall. The outdoor playscape is great though for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:01 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Keep in mind that this is the new concept in mall design today, the replicating of the town square. It's fast becoming a very popular thing all over Texas. There has not been an indoor shopping mall built in Texas since the early 2000s. I did appreciate the air-conditioning in indoor malls when they were chic, but you can also appreciate the outdoor architecture and ambience of the town square and how this multi-faceted concept is bringing more people together, doing more things. Granted, there are drawbacks with everything. You wouldn't want to be walking around the town square in a lightning storm.

Still, I've let this idea grow on me, and there are many benefits to the "new" mall.
I wish they would build them in more established parts of the city and not out in the suburbs. Waco is doing this now with it's new town center. It's actually bringing lots of people downtown and expected to increase the downtown population a lot! *Were now transforming into a college town*

Old 04-28-2009, 11:42 AM

99 posts, read 281,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I wish they would build them in more established parts of the city and not out in the suburbs. Waco is doing this now with it's new town center. It's actually bringing lots of people downtown and expected to increase the downtown population a lot! *Were now transforming into a college town*
I was down there on Saturday. Have you heard anything new on the Hotel Indigo construction? I saw the parking lot has been started, but didn't notice any work on the building itself.

Also, what's the deal with the hotel on Waco Dr and I35. I saw a Raddison sign is finally on the building but it's still not open. That hotel has been under construction for 4 years now...

Old 04-29-2009, 05:33 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
We have things similar like the Houston Pavillion in Houston, but it's rarely new so it lacks lots of stores. Also There is River Oaks Shopping center (http://www.riveroaksshoppingcenter.com/shoppingguide/shoppingguide.htm - broken link)which is also located in Houston. Dallas has Highland Park Village and Victory Park. Austin has The Domain, and San Antonio has the Riverwalk (http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/OurMembers/Shopping/index.asp - broken link).

Forgot another one, Houston also has Rice Village.
Alot you left out in whole the Houston area. You already included Houston Pavilions downtown, Rice Village.

1. Market Street (The Woodlands)
2. Sugarland town center/ Mall entrance (Sugarland)
3. Pearland town center (Pearland)
4. Cinco Ranch Town Center (Katy)
5. Houston Outlets (Cypress)
6. Highland Village (Houston)
7. Uptown Park (Houston)
8. Upcoming West Avenue (Houston)
9. Upcoming City Centre (Houston)

That's all i can think of the top of my head.

San Antonio
1. Riverwalk
2. San Marcos
(I know there's probably more but that's all i know)

Not familiar enough with Austin but i know they have some new type of citywalk ( can't remember the name though)

Dallas
1. Victory Park
2. Mockingbird Station
3. Outlets (North of Dallas)

That's all i know for Dallas

Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
If sports is any indicator of the future trend, a few years after an open-air mall opens, it will be retrofitted with a retractable roof.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:19 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If sports is any indicator of the future trend, a few years after an open-air mall opens, it will be retrofitted with a retractable roof.
Yeah, but a whole town square?? Can you imagine how much money the sheer size of one gigantic retractable roof would cost?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:23 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Default It Could Happen

Quote:
I would not be surprised if you saw that more often, jluke, where cities would go into their inner cores and rebuild by using this concept. And you probably could see something like this even in smaller cities. Waco may well provide the impetus for this innovation.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem154 View Post
I was down there on Saturday. Have you heard anything new on the Hotel Indigo construction? I saw the parking lot has been started, but didn't notice any work on the building itself.

Also, what's the deal with the hotel on Waco Dr and I35. I saw a Raddison sign is finally on the building but it's still not open. That hotel has been under construction for 4 years now...
I haven't heard any updates on Hotel Indigo, and the hotel your talking about I believe is finished or finally being finished. The city kept running out of money.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:58 AM

7 posts, read 20,821 times
picture please

Old 05-25-2009, 10:48 AM

7 posts, read 20,821 times
bumpbumpbump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas