Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 22,669 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all of you for taking your time to guide us. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:17 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,945 times
You're welcome most definitely, and yes I'm an art fanatic, especially where music is concerned.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:54 AM

32 posts, read 61,537 times
I've grew up in DFW, and am in an interracial relationship. I've lived in Dallas and Austin. I'd go with Dallas over Austin and Houston. I see Dallas and Houston being very comparable cities, but the climate in Houston with that infamous humidity is unbearable in the summer. Dallas gets hot, but never AS humid as Houston. The economy in healthcare and IT in Dallas is very strong, especially in north Dallas, which is surrounded by highly diverse and middle to upper middle class neighborhoods with tons of transplants from everywhere you can imagine. There are plenty of lakes in the area (17 in the DFW area alone), all easily accessible with running trails, picnic tables, marinas, etc. Dallas proper is not a conservative city, considering it went to Obama in the election. Dallas does have a good electronic/techno seen, I've got several DJ-like friends (ex-ravers actually) who always have something happening on the weekend. Hope this helps.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:37 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
5) Houston is the least Eco Friendly and I would say right now Austin is the most, but Dallas is pursuing some very green projects.
Possibly, but...
Green Houston
EPA: Houston ranks #1 in Energy Star homes - Los Angeles Times
Houston to be ground zero for Reliant, Nissan electric car deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
6) They all have quiet neighborhoods, but Austin probably has the lowest overall crime rate and Houston the highest.
Wrong. The crime rate in Dallas is higher.

I know from many of your other posts, you don't exactly like Houston and aren't very unbiased about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris006 View Post
I've grew up in DFW, and am in an interracial relationship. I've lived in Dallas and Austin. I'd go with Dallas over Austin and Houston. I see Dallas and Houston being very comparable cities, but the climate in Houston with that infamous humidity is unbearable in the summer. Dallas gets hot, but never AS humid as Houston.
Here we go with this again.
All of Texas is HOT in the summer. It is not a large enough of a difference to seriously take into account things like wind speeds and humidity in deciding where to live. The people in these forums who live in other Texas cities get a little out of control with exaggerating the humidity in Houston. It's average 10% higher than Austin... I looked it up. Houston also rarely has triple-digit temperatures. The more inland cities, it happens more frequently.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:02 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post

Here we go with this again.
All of Texas is HOT in the summer. It is not a large enough of a difference to seriously take into account things like wind speeds and humidity in deciding where to live. The people in these forums who live in other Texas cities get a little out of control with exaggerating the humidity in Houston. It's average 10% higher than Austin... I looked it up. Houston also rarely has triple-digit temperatures. The more inland cities, it happens more frequently.
While I dont disagree with you, you must concede that the humidity is certainly stronger in Houston. For people who are not used to it, that is more overwhelming even if the temps are 5 degrees cooler.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:58 PM

Houston
Humidity graph (//pics2.city-data.com/w2/hum21292.png - broken link)

Austin
Humidity graph (//pics2.city-data.com/w2/hum20755.png - broken link)

Dallas
Humidity graph (//pics2.city-data.com/w2/hum21015.png - broken link)

San Antonio
Humidity graph (//pics2.city-data.com/w2/hum21885.png - broken link)

Corpus Christi
Humidity graph (//pics2.city-data.com/w2/hum20979.png - broken link)

Beaumont
Humidity graph (//pics2.city-data.com/w2/hum20788.png - broken link)

Is there really enough of a difference here to try and persuade people to avoid Houston based on the one factor? Because that's what several people here do... rather ridiculous, if you ask me.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:25 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:

Is there really enough of a difference here to try and persuade people to avoid Houston based on the one factor? Because that's what several people here do... rather ridiculous, if you ask me.
No of course not. I think if that were the decideing factor, the person would probably be making a mistake.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
The short answer is yes. Instead of complaining that humidity shouldn't be considered so strongly in the comparison Dallas and Houston, one could actually respond with something positive to say about Houston. I guess all that humidity fogs up the mind down there.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
The short answer is yes.
Why? Seems rather ridiculous. You're going to imply summer in north Texas isn't completely uncomfortable as well?

Quote:
Instead of complaining that humidity shouldn't be considered so strongly in the comparison Dallas and Houston, one could actually respond with something positive to say about Houston. I guess all that humidity fogs up the mind down there.
Humidity shouldn't be a deciding factor in which city to choose IMO.

You implied that it should.

I corrected it.

BTW, no need for the unoriginal insult.

Last edited by AK123; 01-26-2010 at 07:49 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Why? Seems rather ridiculous. You're going to imply summer in north Texas isn't completely uncomfortable as well?

Humidity shouldn't be a deciding factor in which city to choose IMO.

You implied that it should.

I corrected it.

BTW, no need for the unoriginal insult.
I swear I was the first to use that one, oh well. You know what, the Dallas vs Houston thing has been going on ever since I can remember. Maybe it's time we resolve our differences and accept the fact that both cities are in Texas, both have sprawling suburbs, impressive skylines, strong economies, friendly people, crappy weather, and disappointing football teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas