Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:17 AM

7 posts, read 22,687 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all replies!

We are a young (early 30's) professional interracial couple.
We had it with NYC, too crowed, loud, dirty and expensive. (Not to mention the econmy went down the drain)
We are looking to move to TX, but we dont know which city should we pick.
We are debating between Dallas, Austin or Houston.

What are we looking for:
1, Diversity (we are black and white)
2, Liberal (or not too conservative)
3, Nursing Jobs, and Computer Jobs
4, Parks, Outdoors, Hiking, Nature, biking, (maybe a nice lake too)
5, Organic, eco friendly, (whole foods, farmer markets)
6, quiet neighborhood, nice surrounding - apt for around $800
7, arts, (we like House or techno music)

Thank you for all to take your time to help us with your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:32 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
In the city proper of any of the three, you'll be fine. You'll be fine in most of the 'burbs as well. With regards to diversity, Austin is the least diverse, and the old sundown dividing line of I-35 still bears atavistic traces from the segregated days of yore - the east side is still predominantly black while the west side is still mostly white. All three cities, outside the 'burbs, are mostly non-conservative. I don't want to use the word liberal per se as you're from New York, and you'd be shocked to find many Democrats here aren't like the Democrats from NYC. They're more Libertarians who support elements of certain social programs. IT jobs will be easiest to locate in Austin and Dallas though Houston has plenty in industry-specific IT departments. Nursing jobs are most prevalent in Houston with Dallas following. Austin is a distant third. All three have significant park spaces, but the edge goes to Austin for hiking as Dallas and Houston are less likely to go vertical. And, if you like Whole Foods and places like it, then look no further than Texas, because Whole Foods started in Austin, Rice Epicurian started in Houston and HEB has the Central Market brand in all three cities(HEB is from San Antonio). You might have to clarify your definition of quiet, as all three cities have plenty of lively nightlife, but as compared to New York City, most likely you'll be happy no matter where you live unless you move to a loft over a club or bar. If you're into the arts, Houston and Dallas easily have the edge. Austin has a vibrant live music scene, but their techno scene is well behind the other two.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I can't answer the "music" part but can pretty much the rest:

I would probably lean toward Dallas, but Houston might work as well. I will second what TexastheKid said: if you stay within the city proper of any of these towns you will be with a mixture of cultures and ideas, the burbs may be a little different. Although you may not find Austin as diverse when it comes to things like race, it is the most liberal of the three and Dallas the most conservative. This doesn't mean you won't fit in regardless. It does mean, like he mentioned, you will find all three cities totally different from NYC> Some good, some bad.

Jobs wise, like anyplace right now, they are not as easy to come by as a year or more ago, but they can be found. This is true even in the nursing field. By the way, both Houston and Dallas have some great hospitals and medical facilities.

Nita

Old 06-22-2009, 02:18 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can't answer the "music" part but can pretty much the rest:

I would probably lean toward Dallas, but Houston might work as well. I will second what TexastheKid said: if you stay within the city proper of any of these towns you will be with a mixture of cultures and ideas, the burbs may be a little different. Although you may not find Austin as diverse when it comes to things like race, it is the most liberal of the three and Dallas the most conservative. This doesn't mean you won't fit in regardless. It does mean, like he mentioned, you will find all three cities totally different from NYC> Some good, some bad.

Jobs wise, like anyplace right now, they are not as easy to come by as a year or more ago, but they can be found. This is true even in the nursing field. By the way, both Houston and Dallas have some great hospitals and medical facilities.

Nita
Dallas is not more conservative than Houston. Dallas was leaning Democrat in 2004 (Kerry won Dallas proper in 2004, but not the county, and we elected a Democrat sheriff), and took over outright in 2006.

Democrats didn't start taking office in Harris until 2008 for the most part--the county and city of Houston are still more "purple" than "blue."

However, to the OP I would say that any of the three would serve you fine. Austin doesn't have a very big black community but excels in the other areas you are looking for.

The other thing I would say is DEFINITELY don't give up a job to come here until you find a replacement. The job market is better in most of Texas than the rest of the country, but it isn't good by any means, and we still have the stories of lawyers working at Wal-Mart here as well. Don't up and move unless you have work locked down.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Dallas is not more conservative than Houston. Dallas was leaning Democrat in 2004 (Kerry won Dallas proper in 2004, but not the county, and we elected a Democrat sheriff), and took over outright in 2006.

Democrats didn't start taking office in Harris until 2008 for the most part--the county and city of Houston are still more "purple" than "blue."

However, to the OP I would say that any of the three would serve you fine. Austin doesn't have a very big black community but excels in the other areas you are looking for.

The other thing I would say is DEFINITELY don't give up a job to come here until you find a replacement. The job market is better in most of Texas than the rest of the country, but it isn't good by any means, and we still have the stories of lawyers working at Wal-Mart here as well. Don't up and move unless you have work locked down.
I think I was referring to the entire metro area, not Dallas proper, I don't know which area is more liberal versus conservative as for the city themselves. Thanks for the information though.

As for not moving without a job, I agree with you 110%. I can't imagine anyone, even in a good market relocating without a job. Actually I take that back. When we moved to Texas in 1988 we did move without a job, but we had a very large savings (large for those days, not today) and Hubby was doing quite a bit of free lance PR work. So it wasn't totally without a job.

Nita

Old 06-22-2009, 03:01 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
The lakes up here around Austin, namely Travis, are getting shockingly low. Just thought I'd mention that.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:17 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
I see interracial couples all the time in Austin. Its not a big deal. That being said.

1)I would say Houston is more diverse though.
2)Austin is definitely the most progressive of all the cities.
3)The job market in all three cities are very good right now.
4)When it comes to the outdoors Austin wins hands down.
5) Houston is the least Eco Friendly and I would say right now Austin is the most, but Dallas is pursuing some very green projects.
6) They all have quiet neighborhoods, but Austin probably has the lowest overall crime rate and Houston the highest.
7) Tough call. Austin has a big centrally located bar/club/music scene but I wouldn't consider it artsy. Dallas and Houston also have lots of bars/clubs/music but its spread all over the place. If you are talking about culture than Houston is the best.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
To the OP, you cant go wrong with any of the cities you have selected. All have special things to offer.

The organic and eco-friendly side of you would make me suggest Austin, however Dallas also has lots of parks and is making good stides. Houston is the least eco-friendly and organic.

For the Arts, either Dallas or Houston. Both have lots of programs related to the arts. Fort Worth has some of the best art museums in the country. In fact I would actually place Fort Worth ahead of Austin, Dallas, or Houston for culture.

You will find lots of quiet and nice neighborhoods in all three cities.

As far as which city is the most liberal, it depends. Austin is the most accepting of alternative lifestyles. Dallas and Houston as cities are both liberal (diverse, gay friendly, democratic voting patterns, etc.). I dont know as much about Houston, but I know that Dallas has a openly gay sheriff, and that they almost elected an openly gay mayor. The areas around Dallas and Houston are not liberal however.

For Computer jobs, Austin or Dallas. Nursing jobs will be available in any of the cities.

For Diversity, Houston is the most diverse, followed closely by Dallas. Austin isnt diverse at all really.

For Techno music, Dallas is the hands down winner. I also like Techno and Trance and have been clubbing at in all three. Dallas has more good techno clubs and alot more local DJ's.

Hope that helps.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatapor View Post
What are we looking for:

1, Diversity (we are black and white) This is a toss up between Dallas and Houston, but I would give Houston the edge. Really though you can find a pretty good amount of diversity in all 3 cities. Nothing as compared to New York or L.A., but yeah this is America so the diversity is there.

2, Liberal (or not too conservative) I would say Austin is the most liberal of the 3, but truly all 3 are a good balance of middle of the road conservatives and liberals. I'm a gay liberal man living in the DFW metro and have not had any issues living here.

3, Nursing Jobs, and Computer Jobs Houston for nursing and Dallas for computer jobs. Austin is really good for computer jobs too, but all 3 are good for any of these jobs really.

4, Parks, Outdoors, Hiking, Nature, biking, (maybe a nice lake too) I would say Austin is the front-runner here, you can find nice lakes and trails, especially the Katy trail in Dallas. Not sure how Houston is in this arena but front what I've gathered you can find good outdoor activities too. That being said the outdoor culture is nothing like it is in say for instance Colorado or the PNW. Probably not even New York, but you can find it here.

5, Organic, eco friendly, (whole foods, farmer markets) Austin for me is the clear winner here. I would say a higher percentage of Austinites are environmentally concious and pro-active. BUT, you can find whole foods and farmer's markets in Dallas and Houston. In fact, here in Dallas we have some really good vegan and vegertarian restaurants.

6, quiet neighborhood, nice surrounding - apt for around $800 From what I understand real estate would be cheapest in Houston. You can find apartments like that in Dallas and Austin for that cheap, but maybe not in the type of neighborhood you want. Really thoug if you do some searching and are willing to give up on the square footage you could find a good apt. for that price in any of the 3 cities.

7, arts, (we like House or techno music) For Arts definitely Houston or Dallas. Not to say Austin doesn't have a great arts scene and in fact has a wonderful local arts scene. But if you're going for world class arts i.e. opera, ballet, sculpture, historical, etc., you'd want to refer to the bigger two cities. I would give Houston the edge here, but if you're adding Ft. Worth to the mix, DFW gives Houston a run for it's money. Actually Ft. Worth has a spectacular Opera House and Dallas has an awesome Opera House opening this fall (OMG i'm friggin excited ) Also, referring to House, techno, electro music in general I happen to be a HUGE fan of electronic music and can say without a doubt Dallas is the best place for this type of music out of ALL cities in Texas. That's not to say you can't find good clubs and good techno music in the other 2 but seriously there are a plethora of clubs here where you can find GREAT local djs, and many world renowned djs who visit here very frequently. One of my fav places to go is called the Lizard Lounge in Deep Ellum and there are constantly great electronic artists coming here from around the world such as John Digweed, Benny Benassi, Deadmau5, Deep Dish, etc. Other great clubs are places like S4, Fallout Lounge, The Slip Inn and others. Ok, I'll stop raving now.

Thank you for all to take your time to help us with your opinion.

Anyway, this is my own personal take and is by no means the gospel. Really and truly you'd be good by going to any of these three cities. You'd just have to experience for yourself.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:03 PM

7 posts, read 22,687 times
Thanks. Great advice! especially the art part! seems like you appreciate arts as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas