Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:11 AM

5 posts, read 15,870 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

In the past we've flown into Harlingen and grabbed a shuttle to SPI. I think it cost us around $70 round trip. This time we couldn't find the same shuttle service for any Harlingen airport info and decided to fly into Brownsville instead.

It looks like one can catch the RioGulf Coast Express - Brownsville/South Padre Island International Airport - (http://www.flybrownsville.com/shuttleschedule.asp - broken link) - to Port Isabel. It looks like it costs $2 per person. Once we get to Port Isabel we will grab the SPI Wave shuttle, which is free, to where we are staying.

My question is has anyone ever taken the RioGulf Coast Express to SPI and back to the Brownsville airport? According to the chart, it looks like the trip to SPI will take a bit over an hour. How reliable is the RioGulf Coast Express for the reported times at stops? Going down to SPI isn't so much an issue as going back to the Brownsville airport to catch our plan home at the end. I am trying to figure out how much time we should plan for or how early to leave in case there are bus issues.

I have to say I wish I had known about the RioGulf bus to Port Isabel the two other times we flew in. What a world of difference between $70 per person and $2 per person. But with the $70 you got picked up at the door of your rental and you knew you'd be at the airport on time. My worry is about how reliable the public transportation is on the way back.

Thanks for anyone's input/thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:09 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
I don't know about the bus, but I can tell you that my daughter and I just took a SPI trip flying into and out of the Brownsville airport and it is tiny! Very tiny and not too busy. I wouldn't worry about arriving at the airport an hour and a half before scheduled to fly like you might with a busier airport. They don't even open the security area until just about when you're scheduled to leave so daughter and I spent a good amout of time sitting around and waiting.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:08 PM

I am very curious to see how small the Brownsville airport is in comparison to Harlingen. Harlingen is pretty small too.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest_NE View Post
I am very curious to see how small the Brownsville airport is in comparison to Harlingen. Harlingen is pretty small too.
Smaller.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:37 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,625 times
WHen I was last at the Brownsville airport around 4 or 5 years ago, there was only 1 gate. The Harlingen airport is very nice and has maybe 8-10 gates.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
WHen I was last at the Brownsville airport around 4 or 5 years ago, there was only 1 gate. The Harlingen airport is very nice and has maybe 8-10 gates.
A bit of an exaggeration here, but to give the poster an idea of how small the airport is-as I was filling out paperwork for my rental car I felt as though I could reach over and grab my suitcase right off the carousel. Seriously, I did run over and grab the bag quickly while the nice lady at Budget was filing my drivers license and credit card info. So small, so easy. After I wasn't able to find my rental car in the correct spot, she left her counter, ran out to the parking lot and found the car and drove it up to the entrance within minutes. She could do this because there was nobody else there who needed help. It's that small!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:04 AM

Well, small isn't bad as long as our flight arrives in and out of the airport on time. We'll see after this trip if we go back to flying through Harlingen or not.

Anyhow back to my initial question - I wonder how reliable the Rio Transit system is between the airport and Port Isabel...

Old 06-24-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest_NE View Post
Well, small isn't bad as long as our flight arrives in and out of the airport on time. We'll see after this trip if we go back to flying through Harlingen or not.

Anyhow back to my initial question - I wonder how reliable the Rio Transit system is between the airport and Port Isabel...
Small was great, everything went smoothly and on-time. Wish I could help you on your transit question. You may want to ask at www.spiforum.org. Lots of SPI and Port Isabel locals there who can probably answer your question.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the forum tip, TXNGL !!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times
SPI is the airport in Springfield, Illinois
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas