Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:15 AM

437 posts, read 2,241,164 times

Advertisements

Wow, I wish I could get her on here to talk about East Texas. I like to talk to people who have been there.

In crime huh? to funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 11:11 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,662,328 times
Hey Bound, I just talked to my mom and she said there is only one nice RV park in Tyler (or the area) she could not remember the name but she said if you looked in the rv park book you would be able to pick it out. She did say that Tyler state park is really nice also though. All of them deal with dogs since she travel with animals also. If you want to drive to Austin, Lonestar RV park is really nice and Blazing Star in San Antonio is good. Lots of good ones on the coast also.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:23 PM

Thanks a lot Neddy. Tell her thank you for me. I sure would love to know how she likes that area of Tyler. Can you ask her?

Thanks

Old 12-12-2006, 05:16 AM

Bound I can tell ya without asking her. She is not that fond of East Texas. She is a Hill country gal. That's where her heart is. With that said she loves the Tyler area but the rest of the area not so much. She likes the beauty of the area esp during the spring but everything else she see's is a bit shabby to her and she is not really a prissy woman or anything. Not at all impressed with the RV park they stay in Jefferson to be near family. (I have family near Caddo Lake and Lake O the Pines) Lots of retirees around Lake O the Pines. How she feels about it is her thoughts. I love the area went to school over in East Texas but had many more ties to the Hill Country. If I did not have those ties I always thought I would be living in Tyler since I grew up in Dallas ( I am a Texas mutt with divorced and remarries parents got 2/3rds of the state covered!)

Old 12-12-2006, 09:20 AM

Thanks Neddy. We were thinking of maybe looking in other places. We were set on Tyler and Longview at one time but didn't look any further. Now that I have been on here I thought I should maybe look around in other areas.

I have heard a lot about the Hill Country but feel it might be too expensive for us being retired. Dallas is too busy for us. San Antonio might be also.

We just want a slower life style. That is why we thought of Tyler and Longview.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:09 PM

For retirement I would look just west of Kerrville in the Hill country. Far enough away from the big cities that land is still somewhat cheaper for the hill country. Once ya get land out of the living expenses are pretty cheap. Let me know if ya need to know some local hill country rv parks have reviews and some personal experience with some!

Old 12-12-2006, 04:16 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,996,838 times
My parents RV quite often and my dad doesn't care what the weather is! They live in Northern California northeast of Modesto in Oakdale and when he's ready to go...he's ready to go! He can't stand the Tule Fog and gets depressed by too much fog and overcast, so then he heads south. They pack their cats, stock up on food, the proper clothes, and start heading south. They drove from Oakdale to Springfield, Missouri to see me in June. It took them five days as they took their time. On the way back, it took them three days as my dad was anxious to get home. That time he allowed my mom to drive..
I drove from Las Vegas to Springfield, left about 7am in the morning and was in Amarillo by 9pm. I just stopped for gas in Flagstaff and Alberquerque (got caught in Alberquerque's evening rush hour too ). The next morning in Amarillo, I left at dawn as I hadn't declared my animals who were with me and had snuck them into the room, so I wanted to get out both to get to Missouri faster and avoid the motel staff. I made it to Springfield, Missouri by 2pm that afternoon. I didn't enjoy Oklahoma City's freeways....pothole hell.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:25 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,297,605 times
I don't care for East Texas and Tyler is one boring ass town, but I have to admit that it's pretty around there. I think the Hill Country is MUCH nicer, though. Check out Wimberly for an example of what the Hill Country is all about.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:50 PM

Well, tell me more. What is boring? We are in our 60's so maybe boring would be great for us.

I tried to find info on Wimberly but couldn't. Any ideas. It just gave me peoples names with the same name. I was looking up pictures in Wimberly. Is that part of Austin or out of San Antonio?

Old 12-13-2006, 06:09 PM

Wimberly would be closer to the Austin side of the hill country. I would think that if Tyler was to slow then Wimberly would be off the map slow....lol. go check out the website for Texas Highways, its a great mag and has some really cool pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas