Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 01:42 PM

85 posts, read 237,362 times

Advertisements

First off, I would like to say thank you to all the people on the Texas board who are residents and born and raised Texans for providing everyone else with such great knowledge.

My little story; I am a 23 year old paramedic who was born and raised in Southern California (Ventura County). Being so young, I try to set myself up for having a bright future, raising a family and being able to provide my wife and kids with the life they deserve. I am currently in the process for testing with the Sheriff's Department and the California Highway Patrol. However, with having my career in the medical field...I am able to continue my testing in TX with various Sheriff's Departments. As well all know CA is in the dumps. Having the lifestyle that I want to enjoy is just not going to happen here in CA, and when I think about it....im actually a little hesitant to start a family in CA due to its instability.

So my question is this.....being 23 and having the mindset of "you only live once" is now the best time to pack up and head out? I just feel that since I dont have any responsibility yet with a house, or kids....im think that now would be the best time. My only struggle would be the girlfriend. But then again, if she cant appreciate whats best for me and eventually us, then I guess she isnt the one. Ohh and im looking at moving to the Houston area. My research has told me that the Houston Police Dept and Harris County Sheriffs Office are great departments, along with the Texas Highway Patrol.

What do you guys think? Now or never? If you can share some of your stories of uprooting a life you know to come to a new place...I would really appreciate it. I guess I am just making it more difficult than it needs to be. Thanks guys and gals in advance for the thoughts, advice, and opinons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:48 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
If you don't have or can't find the gal to make the move with you then now would be good, tho' I'm of a mind that any time is better than never, with or without. But then, I'm not good with relationships.

Buckle up, for safety.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:50 PM

85 posts, read 237,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
If you don't have or can't find the gal to make the move with you then now would be good, tho' I'm of a mind that any time is better than never, with or without. But then, I'm not good with relationships.

Buckle up, for safety.
Thank you, I appreciate the words of wisdom.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:18 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
I picked up and left the East Coast at age 30. I sold my house there and after some research, moved to San Antonio, lock, stock and barrel. Three days after being here, I had a job, an apartment, and 2 friends who have blossomed into a long term friendship.
Since then, I have created a wonderful life and have been happier than I ever could have been back east. Being in the health care industry made it easier to transition. My family, to this day, continues to ask when I am moving "home". I always say, my home is San Antonio.
Being single and knowing I needed a change made it happen. It was the best thing I ever did. That was 25 years ago.
That's some of my story, so if you feel the need to find a new territory, go for it. You sound like your making choices and working out details. It's an adventure and a new beginning. So, go for it for yourself. Not for everyone else.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:09 PM

26 posts, read 79,281 times
Bighorn-Come to Texas. It is a state of greatness! This state is so vast that it has something for everyone. I want to give you some advice. My son is a a paramedic in Austin and all he talks about is the Austin P.D. They have great pay/benefits and get to work in a beautiful city with little violent crime. The Texas Highway Patrol has a rep as poor paying and being a tough agency to work for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: