Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 10:04 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,867,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Why are we comparing Texas Medical Center to the Southwestern Medical District? Yes, SW Medical District is expanding, but even after the expansion it will not be on the level of the Texas Medical Center.
You'd have to ask Mister Nifty, he brought up the absurd comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:08 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,987,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skys the limit2 View Post
The UT Southwestern Medical Center is co-located within the Dallas Medical District where hospitals like Parkland are also located. The overall district is called the "Dallas Medical District".

Here is a photo from 10-12-10 of the Dallas Medical District, located two miles north of Downtown Dallas:

If you click on the photo it will take you to a Flickr page I have created for the Dallas Medical District that contains many facts and figures for the center.

In addition to the Flickr page I have also created an Imageshack album that contains numerous photos for the Dallas Medical District located here:

ImageShack Album - 15 images

And as a slideshow click here:

ImageShack(TM) slideshow

The square footage information on the UT Southwestern website is for its buildings only and do not include other hospital and medical facilities that are co-located next to it, such as Parkland Hospital.

Further, there are two mammoth hospital projects currently underway in the Dallas Medical District that will add 3.7 million square feet to the Medical District.

One is the gargantuan new Parkland Hospital at 2.4 million square feet and the other is St. Paul Hospital at 1.3 million square feet. The two hospital projects together represent an investment of $2.1 billion dollars.

At 2.4 million square feet, the new state-of-the-art Parkland Hospital would be the equivalent of a 113 story skyscraper if it were being erected vertically!!

However the new Parkland Hospital will be more mid-rise in height at 17 stories at its tallest but spread over a significantly larger footprint.

There is also a mammoth 6,000 car parking garage that will be constructed right next door to the 2.4 million square foot hospital. A new Dallas Area Rapid Transit rail station will connect directly to the new Parkland Hospital.

The new Parkland Hospital DART station is part of the massive 28 mile expansion of the DART Green Line which has now made DART the largest light rail mass transit system in the nation. The Parkland DART station will become enormously successful for not only serving the Dallas Medical District directly but also will provide mass transit to the dense residential developments that are springing up left and right surrounding the new hospital.

Here is a super cool video of the new Parkland Hospital project that provides a glimpse of the spectacular, world-class facility that is rising in the Dallas Medical District (select 720p HD to view it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euRMGpsyDms

An image of the new, state-of-the-art, 1.3 million square foot St. Paul Hospital under construction can be seen as the last image in the Imageshack photo album (the Imageshack link located above). The new St. Paul Hospital will be 1.3 million square feet, which is equivalent to a 61 story skyscraper if it were to be erected vertically.
What's going to happen to the old Parkland Memorial Hospital?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:39 AM

912 posts, read 1,890,931 times
Quote:
The UT Southwestern Medical Center is co-located within the Dallas Medical District where hospitals like Parkland are also located. The overall district is called the "Dallas Medical District".

Here is a photo from 10-12-10 of the Dallas Medical District, located two miles north of Downtown Dallas:

If you click on the photo it will take you to a Flickr page I have created for the Dallas Medical District that contains many facts and figures for the center.

In addition to the Flickr page I have also created an Imageshack album that contains numerous photos for the Dallas Medical District located here:

ImageShack Album - 15 images

And as a slideshow click here:

ImageShack(TM) slideshow

The square footage information on the UT Southwestern website is for its buildings only and do not include other hospital and medical facilities that are co-located next to it, such as Parkland Hospital.

Further, there are two mammoth hospital projects currently underway in the Dallas Medical District that will add 3.7 million square feet to the Medical District.

One is the gargantuan new Parkland Hospital at 2.4 million square feet and the other is St. Paul Hospital at 1.3 million square feet. The two hospital projects together represent an investment of $2.1 billion dollars.

At 2.4 million square feet, the new state-of-the-art Parkland Hospital would be the equivalent of a 113 story skyscraper if it were being erected vertically!!

However the new Parkland Hospital will be more mid-rise in height at 17 stories at its tallest but spread over a significantly larger footprint.

There is also a mammoth 6,000 car parking garage that will be constructed right next door to the 2.4 million square foot hospital. A new Dallas Area Rapid Transit rail station will connect directly to the new Parkland Hospital.

The new Parkland Hospital DART station is part of the massive 28 mile expansion of the DART Green Line which has now made DART the largest light rail mass transit system in the nation. The Parkland DART station will become enormously successful for not only serving the Dallas Medical District directly but also will provide mass transit to the dense residential developments that are springing up left and right surrounding the new hospital.

Here is a super cool video of the new Parkland Hospital project that provides a glimpse of the spectacular, world-class facility that is rising in the Dallas Medical District (select 720p HD to view it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euRMGpsyDms

An image of the new, state-of-the-art, 1.3 million square foot St. Paul Hospital under construction can be seen as the last image in the Imageshack photo album (the Imageshack link located above). The new St. Paul Hospital will be 1.3 million square feet, which is equivalent to a 61 story skyscraper if it were to be erected vertically.
Is it just me or is that long stretched out, pano picture of the hospital district impressive? What makes it even more impressive is how close it is located to greater downtown Dallas as is apparent in one of the pictures in your slide show. And having the DART line slice right through it takes the cake. Doesn't a commuter line service it to the south? I'm sorry, considering everything that it has going for it, I just don't see how this Medical District doesn't compare to the Texas Medical Center in houstoN.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Is it just me or is that long stretched out, pano picture of the hospital district impressive? What makes it even more impressive is how close it is located to greater downtown Dallas as is apparent in one of the pictures in your slide show. And having the DART line slice right through it takes the cake. Doesn't a commuter line service it to the south? I'm sorry, considering everything that it has going for it, I just don't see how this Medical District doesn't compare to the Texas Medical Center in houstoN.
Its not big enough...........

Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Its not big enough...........
Okay, I'll give you that. But the Southwestern Medical District of Medical Centers, which is what this really is and is also what the Texas Medical Center in Houston truly is, is part of greater downtown Dallas.
Follow me here:
The Southwestern Medical Hospital District is part of a larger Stemmons Corridor which is made up of Southwestern itself, the Dallas Market Center, a rather large hotel district to the south of all that with the Hilton Anatole and the Renaissance hotels being the two main centerpieces. It also takes in the Victory Park development, as well as the Dallas Design District, with these, in turn, transitioning into Uptown Dallas and into downtown Dallas.
Now, just why is the size of the so-called Texas Medical Center being compared to downtown Dallas and not to the greater downtown Dallas area which also includes Southwestern?
I don't think so.
As I pointed out, this type of comparison is misleading and is certain to confuse new Texans and visiting tourists.
When passing by the Telecom Corridor, one would never guess that it contains over 25 million square feet of space. Perception wise, the Texas Medical Center in Houston does look a lot larger than the Telecom Corridor. Also perception wise, the greater downtown Dallas area looks a lot larger than the Texas Medical Center as it is, in fact, much larger as the area has at least twice the number of hotel rooms as the Texas Medical Center has hospital beds.
Once again, as far as quality urban area goes, nothing compares to Central Dallas, not even downtown Houston or its Uptown area.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:43 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,980,651 times
Quote:
Because it is not really that big. That pano pic is nice, but is nothing compared to the Texas Medical Center. And the TMC is served by light rail, and a few stops south of it, there will be a commuter rail stop within the next few years. Plus, it's at the heart of Houston's Inner Loop. The TMC has A LOT going for it.

Quote:
Dallas is denser than Houston when the correct numbers are used to compute population density. To wit:

Dallas in 2010:

Population (from 11-15-10 census estimate): 1,320,126
Land mass (hasn't changed in decades!): 342.5 square miles
Density people per square mile: 3,854.4

Houston in 2010:

Population (from 11-15-10 census estimate): 2,306,455
Land mass (as of 2010): 640 square miles
Density people per square mile: 3,637.9

FURTHER, Dallas had a denser city population than Houston even in 2000. Just look it up on Demographia's website that recaps the final 1990 and 2000 census information for all cities over 50,000 people:

2000 Census: US Municipalities Over 50,000: Ranked by 2000 Population

Dallas in 2000:

Population: 1,188,580
Land mass: 342.5 square miles
Density people per square mile: 3,470

Houston in 2000:

Population: 1,953,631
Land mass: 579.5 square miles
Density people per square mile: 3,372

So, Dallas was denser than Houston in 2000 per the final Census Bureau data for 2000 by 98 people per square mile.

Now in 2010 Dallas has grown denser faster than Houston over the last decade and now is more dense per square mile by 216.5 people per square mile.

Dallas is the REAL metropolis of Texas and growing more so by the day!
May I ask where you are getting your numbers from? Houston has not annexed any land since 1996, so I don't know why you show it increasing to 640 square miles of land. It is at 607 total square miles, with 579 of that being land. So, YES, Houston IS denser than Dallas (3,983 vs. 3,845). You link the Demographia site, which also shows that Houston's urban area is slightly denser than Dallas. So, Dallas was denser than Houston in 2000, but Houston became denser than Dallas since then.

And you say Dallas is the "REAL" metropolis of Texas, but name a 95 square mile area of Dallas that has more people (600K) and is denser than the Inner Loop of Houston. You can't. I love the DFW area, but let's actually post facts and not wrong information like you did.

Quote:
Dallas County has 880 sq mi of land, with a population of 2,492,850.

Harris County has 1,729 sq mi of land, with a population of 3,984,349.

Dallas County has more people on a smaller amount of land.
There is not much of a difference, especially considering how much larger in land area Harris County is compared to Dallas County.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Okay, I'll give you that. But the Southwestern Medical District of Medical Centers, which is what this really is and is also what the Texas Medical Center in Houston truly is, is part of greater downtown Dallas.
Follow me here:
The Southwestern Medical Hospital District is part of a larger Stemmons Corridor which is made up of Southwestern itself, the Dallas Market Center, a rather large hotel district to the south of all that with the Hilton Anatole and the Renaissance hotels being the two main centerpieces, and the Victory Park development, as well as the Dallas Design District, These, in turn, transition into Uptown Dallas and downtown Dallas.
Now, just why is the size of the socalled Texas Medical Center being compared to downtown Dallas and not the greater downtown Dallas area which also includes Southwestern?
I don't think so.
As I pointed out, this type of comparison is misleading and is certain to confuse new Texans and visiting tourists.
When passing by the Telecom Corridor, one would never guess that it contains over 25 million square feet of space. Perception wise, the Texas Medical Center in Houston does look a lot larger than the Telecom Corridor. Also perception wise, the greater downtown Dallas area looks a lot larger than the Texas Medical Center as it is, in fact, much larger as the area along has at least twice the number of hotel rooms as the Texas Medical Center has hospital beds.
Once again, as far as quality urban area goes, nothing compares to Central Dallas, not even downtown Houston or its Uptown area.
You cannot compare that! Southwestern Medical District is completely separated from the so called "Greater Downtown Dallas". You are now trying to compare the whole Stemmons Corridor. The Stemmons Corridor isn't connected to Uptown or Downtown. Heck, Uptown and Downtown isn't even connected. Stop making up stuff!

Old 12-22-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
You cannot compare that! Southwestern Medical District is completely separated from the so called "Greater Downtown Dallas". You are now trying to compare the whole Stemmons Corridor. The Stemmons Corridor isn't connected to Uptown or Downtown. Heck, Uptown and Downtown isn't even connected. Stop making up stuff!
I am not making stuff up. See, you just don't understand what the "Texas Medical Center" is supposed to be while there was a time that I drove around and through it on a scooter. It supposedly includes the Veterans Hospital which is a distance apart from the Medical Center. Please, don't get prissy with me as this isn't nitpicking that I'm doing here. I will agree with the marketers of Texas Medical Center that much of the space included into the "Texas Medical Center" is within a district. But, and here is the point of my argument, it doen't do so any more than the Southwestern Medical Center District transitions into the greater downtown Dallas area.
In making my argument, I'm just using the same tactic.
Look, there is a hospital across 288 along Braes Bayou that is considered within the Texas Medical Center "district." There is a hospital all the way across Herman Park on the other side of it considered within the district as well.
By the same token, nothing in the Houston area, not downtown Houston or Uptown Houston, compares to the greater downtown Dallas area.
Nothing!

Old 12-22-2010, 02:12 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,980,651 times
Quote:
I am not making stuff up. See, you just don't understand what the "Texas Medical Center" is supposed to be while there was a time that I drove around and through it on a scooter. It supposedly includes the Veterans Hospital which is a distance apart from the Medical Center. Please, don't get prissy with me as this isn't nitpicking that I'm doing here. I will agree with the marketers of Texas Medical Center that much of the space included into the "Texas Medical Center" is within a district. But, and here is the point of my argument, it doen't do so any more than the Southwestern Medical Center District transitions into the greater downtown Dallas area.
In making my argument, I'm just using the same tactic.
Look, there is a hospital across 288 along Braes Bayou that is considered within the Texas Medical Center "district." There is a hospital all the way across Herman Park on the other side of it considered within the district as well.
By the same token, nothing in the Houston area, not downtown Houston or Uptown Houston, compares to the greater downtown Dallas area.
Nothing!
Likewise, no area in DFW compares to Houston's Inner Loop in sheer size and density. It's easily the most urban area overall in Texas. Dallas' urban core is underwhelming for a city and metro of its size (I guess you can thank FW and some of the suburbs for that).

Old 12-22-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Because it is not really that big. That pano pic is nice, but is nothing compared to the Texas Medical Center. And the TMC is served by light rail, and a few stops south of it, there will be a commuter rail stop within the next few years. Plus, it's at the heart of Houston's Inner Loop. The TMC has A LOT going for it.

May I ask where you are getting your numbers from? Houston has not annexed any land since 1996, so I don't know why you show it increasing to 640 square miles of land. It is at 607 total square miles, with 579 of that being land. So, YES, Houston IS denser than Dallas (3,983 vs. 3,845). You link the Demographia site, which also shows that Houston's urban area is slightly denser than Dallas. So, Dallas was denser than Houston in 2000, but Houston became denser than Dallas since then.

And you say Dallas is the "REAL" metropolis of Texas, but name a 95 square mile area of Dallas that has more people (600K) and is denser than the Inner Loop of Houston. You can't. I love the DFW area, but let's actually post facts and not wrong information like you did.

There is not much of a difference, especially considering how much larger in land area Harris County is compared to Dallas County.
In the picture above, is it a thousand acres?
Please, quit squirming and just answer the question.
(Look off in the distance at the top of the picture, across the bayou, and on the other side of all those apartments. Now tell me, all that medical stuff, which is located south of the Medical Center, isn't considered part of those 1000 acres?)
As I said, the marketers of The Texas Medical Center are being misleading.
(I'm just beginning to realize that, as you think you know what you are talking about, you don't.)

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 12-22-2010 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: tweak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas