Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:29 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,615,518 times

Advertisements

Hey folks / neighbors:

We're looking to get our 3rd home built by a custom builder and we're looking @ maybe getting Radiant Barrier installed (sprayed) in our attic.

For whom all lives in the Central Texas area; Including Houston, Austin & Dallas. Do you feel it was worth getting put into your home? Any comments / feedback from owners & not dealer feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:40 PM

277 posts, read 577,263 times
If you're getting your home built I would think its totally worth it. It'll take at least 10-15% of your heating in AC costs. Along with a radiant barrier I've also read that keeping your attic sealed can also save a ton of dough in the long run. I saw a Discovery Green channel special about a house in Houston that was LED certified & their attic was kept at a temperature only 5 degrees warmer/cooler than the rest of the house depending on the time of year.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:48 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,615,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gribbler View Post
If you're getting your home built I would think its totally worth it. It'll take at least 10-15% of your heating in AC costs. Along with a radiant barrier I've also read that keeping your attic sealed can also save a ton of dough in the long run. I saw a Discovery Green channel special about a house in Houston that was LED certified & their attic was kept at a temperature only 5 degrees warmer/cooler than the rest of the house depending on the time of year.
Thanks, I been contemplating pretty hard about going with it.

Heck, I even talked my wife out of accepting a deal for a 2200 sqft home to a 1900 sq ft. Main reason: efficiency cost and of course no more BS rooms that are not really needed (like dining rooms or bigger game rooms). I want to live a little more lighter and coming from a 2 story (2800 sqft) home, which kicked our behinds on utilities (also was a newer home built in 2002). I am wanting to save as much as I can to get cooler summers, warmer winters w/o a BIG utility bill. So every little bit will help. Live little more simpler to simplify my wallet

Old 10-12-2009, 05:56 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
If you are getting a home built, a spray in radiant barrier is not a very good idea. It is a good idea if your retrofitting and do not need a new roof. What you want to get is upgraded roof decking with a radiant barrier already installed, i.e. cool-ply or one of the other brands. This has alot more durability and effective life than the spray in type. I find it hard to believe your builder did not mention this option. Personally, I would use the opportunity of new construction to go solar as much as possible.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,745 times
I would use the opportunity of new construction to go solar as much as possible.

Solar has come a long way...
Quote:
October 06, 2009
Dow Brings Out Line Of Photovoltaic Solar Shingles

The Dow Chemical Company (NYSE: DOW) today unveiled its line of DOW™ POWERHOUSE™ Solar Shingle, revolutionary photovoltaic solar panels in the form of solar shingles that can be integrated into rooftops with standard asphalt shingle materials. The solar shingle systems are expected to be available in limited quantities by mid-2010 and projected to be more widely available in 2011, putting the power of solar electricity generation directly and conveniently in the hands of homeowners.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:40 PM
rwr

268 posts, read 611,930 times
Default Most bang for your buck.

I have been a custom homebuilder in South Texas for almost 40 yrs. and I think the following items will give you the most bang for your buck: radiant barrier roof decking(all lumber suppliers carry it); continous ridge vent; hardie soffit with continous vent; hardie facia and siding; Tyvek housewrap; vinyl insulated Low-E windows; Hvac of 14 SEER or more; R-30 batt attic insulation, R-13 ext. wall insulation & polycel: insulated garage door; and lastly - ceiling fans everywhere. Good luck and God Bless.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:30 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
I would use the opportunity of new construction to go solar as much as possible.

Solar has come a long way...
Yep! knew those were coming out (there are already some on the market) and plan on retrofitting my house when the roof is due in 2 years. Cost about 2x more on a retrofit. Not so much when building new, Calculator shows I could just about run my whole home w/ photovoltaics.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:46 AM

745 posts, read 1,324,285 times
Default radiant barrier foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gribbler View Post
I've also read that keeping your attic sealed can also save a ton of dough in the long run. I saw a Discovery Green channel special about a house in Houston that was LED certified & their attic was kept at a temperature only 5 degrees warmer/cooler than the rest of the house depending on the time of year.
A sealed attic, with no vents? How is that done, and how does it keep out moisture and remove it from the house??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
What you want to get is upgraded roof decking with a radiant barrier already installed, i.e. cool-ply or one of the other brands.
You can have the top of the line foil layed right before the decking is layed,
which saves you 80 percent of the cost and is much stronger foil than the type that comes with the decking.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I saw a program on sealed attics but its been awhile. bascailly the venting is not need in the south except to cool the attic. Its not for moisture control but to vent the heat bulid up. The same reason you can use blow i9n insualtion because tyhe attic get hot enough to evapoate any moisture unlike i cold climate most of teh eayr., Alnog the coast if you cheack dow even recommend the pare type wall insulktion be cut to vent if facing the room.Outside mositure barrei on coast recommeded.just the opposite from cold clmates.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 AM

6 posts, read 26,341 times
Sealed attics are great. Basically you are moving the "thermal envelope" to the outside and bringing the ductwork inside. This is the key to having an efficient home. The internal walls become "partitions" with NO thermal bypass. As for moisture, the key is to properly size the AC unit or go with an "inverter" type unit that will run at part-load and provide constant de-humidification. (Mitsubishi, LG, Samsung, Daikin, Fujitsu) just to name a few.

Unfortunately, it is usually cost prohibitive to "seal" an attic after the fact. This is really best used for new construction. Plus, if you have combustible appliances - furnaces, hot water heaters etc. You must create an "equipment room" to isolate the equipment and bring in fresh combustible air. Also, for safety you need to install both a visual and audible Carbon Monoxide alarm.

Here is info on sealed attics: RR-9801: Vented and Sealed Attics in Hot Climates;

As for radiant barrier, if you are going with a vented attic go ahead and spend the extra money to buy the radiant barrier decking. For existing homes, you can install radiant barrier foil as do-it-yourself project. From atticfoil.com

Here is a video on the install process:

Radiant Barrier Install Video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: