Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:36 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,686,276 times

Advertisements

I've been wracking my brain, but I can't come up with a good reason. Stay where you are.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:49 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Thumbs up Come On Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcube View Post
So, hubby and I are thinking of moving to Texas. He may have oppurtunity to work near Richardson. We've never lived anywhere but in Iowa. We have visited Texas a couple times, but only in Canton. Another area we have thought about is Missouri, kinda in between Iowa and Texas weather.

So, convince us to move to Texas Benefits?

I've been telling him that we would be able to enjoy the outdoors etc more in Texas since our winters here are long and you just can't do anything outside. We both hate driving in snow/ice. Things that I'm worried more about in Texas, tornados (no basement) and poisonous animals. We have a small 8lb dog and would not want anything to happen to her. Plus I want my hubby to around for a very long time We currently have a large basement that we mainly use for storage and safetly.

We don't like living in large towns where traffic is bad (such as Chicago etc). We do like suburbs.

Sharon & Steve
There are plenty of reasons to come to this great state. You can live basically in almost any area. It's a very livable state to be in and what you're looking for certainly would not be far away. Our weather is great, with plenty of sunshine throughout the year. We have mild winters, and this year is no exception. It does get hot, though, in the summer months, so you'll want to make sure your air conditioning works. And it is a fantastic place for anyone who loves the outdoors.

Come! See what this place is all about. I'm saving you some seats.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:46 AM

397 posts, read 1,026,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade_word View Post
Why move to Texas, you ask? Give me any reason not to move to Texas. I dare you.
I can give you several reasons why "I" would not move there. However, on this forum, it always just results in a shouting match. For some reasons, most of the Texans on here simply refuse to hear any of the negatives about TX. I have my thoughts about why. However, different places for different people. There are also lots of good things about TX. I think it all depends on your personal tastes and predilections.

Trust me, as a Californian, I will with pleasure give you a list of reasons of what is wrong here. However, I will also tell you many of the good things and why I love to live here. Why is it that so many of you cannot give a balanced view of things, and take any little complaint about TX as a huge insult? One of two things always happens:
(1) Some says it's because TX gets insulted/disrespected a lot, but so does CA. On this very forum!
(2) Someone says "because there is nothing wrong with TX!" This statement is as true as if I were to say we do not have a huge deficit in CA. Every place can be improved.

Just like CA is not for everyone, neither is TX! You always tell the snotty Californians to drop the attitude (which some of them should), but so should you.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:11 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
I can give you several reasons why "I" would not move there. However, on this forum, it always just results in a shouting match. For some reasons, most of the Texans on here simply refuse to hear any of the negatives about TX. I have my thoughts about why. However, different places for different people. There are also lots of good things about TX. I think it all depends on your personal tastes and predilections.

Trust me, as a Californian, I will with pleasure give you a list of reasons of what is wrong here. However, I will also tell you many of the good things and why I love to live here. Why is it that so many of you cannot give a balanced view of things, and take any little complaint about TX as a huge insult? One of two things always happens:
(1) Some says it's because TX gets insulted/disrespected a lot, but so does CA. On this very forum!
(2) Someone says "because there is nothing wrong with TX!" This statement is as true as if I were to say we do not have a huge deficit in CA. Every place can be improved.

Just like CA is not for everyone, neither is TX! You always tell the snotty Californians to drop the attitude (which some of them should), but so should you.
The only time MOST get upset and respond back is when the comments that are negative are false. Such as, "Texas is all HOT, flat, boring and has NO trees". I've heard that bs so many times it is sad...... really sad. Texas is a HUGE state and very diverse in topography and the people that say that bs have not really seen much of it in the first place. Oh, and the "bad crime" some say like we live in a "war zone" is what one poster stated. LOL!!! Sure When the spout off we have "no diversity" or "culture". Things like that are what REALLY get our ire up and we just respond back to let others know that for the most part the person spouting the negative is wrong. Sure some spots are "hot" or "flat" and have "no trees" and we will be the ones to let you know where to find those.

We have also experienced MANY people move here from California on the boards that went on to put it down to no end w/ a bunch of false information. Turns out most of those had a bad personal relationship BEFORE they moved here and I guess thought moving here would help As someone else said that is like having a baby to help a failed marriage.

The thing is you don't see us on here on the Texas board posting threads about how horrible OTHER states are. Venture over to the California boards and take your pick. There are dozens of threas about NOTHING BUT Texas bashing. On the California boards We can't dare correct them or we are told we are "too proud", arrogant, hypocrites, liars, uneducated, uncultured. Hear that all the time and it does get old. Most of us have been to California MANY times to all parts of it along w/ many other states and countries yet these so-called "cultured" people from Cali have more "travels that us" only because they have the beach and mountains in their own state???? Okay

Oh, and dare I forget the "Mexican Food" debates. Oh geez. Our mexican food and/or "Tex-Mex" is "not real mexican food" according to them. WHAT!!! Just because the people from Mexico to California came from a DIFFERENT REGION of Mexico they have a differenty "type" of "Mexican food" too. So do we. People in Mexico use what is common to THEIR area and when they relocate they bring it with them. So we have more sauces and such.... big deal. But people from California make a HUGE DEAL about it. Whatever...... sorry, but I guess I'm a bit more "cultured" and used to traveling to other regions and having different fare. Even in Texas we have different regional cuisines.

Yes, we are always told to "drop our attitude" but they never realize they have just as bad of one if not moreso. As in wer are not "tolerant". Okay, we accepted you when you came here. We go visit your area and accept it. But you come here and you can not accept us and our differences.

We also give PLENTY of the negatives when people looking to visit or relocate ask about specific areas. It is the generalizations made by those that don't "love Texas" or just hate it period for some off the wall reason that we trump back w/ the truth to their bs.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:17 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,759 times
I realize there are negatives to Texas, but the positives far outweight them, in my opinion, or I would not live here. I do think the rest of the nation is put off by what I call our "Texas Nationalism," but it is just pride--based mostly on our heritage as an independent nation and our independent thinking. Forgive us.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I realize there are negatives to Texas, but the positives far outweight them, in my opinion, or I would not live here. I do think the rest of the nation is put off by what I call our "Texas Nationalism," but it is just pride--based mostly on our heritage as an independent nation and our independent thinking. Forgive us.
The thing is.... all these other people from other states are just as "pridefull" of their home state and make no bones about it at all. You don't see anyone telling them they should drop it or they are "arrogant" because of it. For example look at the people from California. They say repeatedly they come from "THE BEST STATE" and would not move. They brag to no end just as much if not more. I don't care and it doesn't bother me at all. You don't see us going over there and telling them how awful a place it is and how bad their attitudes are just becaue of their personal beliefs and because they like where they live so much. Funny thing it is......

Old 02-02-2008, 05:40 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,280,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Crime isn't worse here than New York. At least according to a friend of mine who lives there. Sounds like you just aren't happy where you ended up and you maybe need to look into another town.
Actually, Texas ranks #12 as the most dangerous state in the union and New York's ranking is #31. Of course, that's not to say there aren't safe areas in Texas and dangerous areas in New York.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:32 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,518,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post

Many Californians take the truth as an insult, just look at the Cal. forum.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:49 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,280,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Many Californians take the truth as an insult, just look at the Cal. forum.
The people on the Texas forum do the same. Actually if one were to frequent the other forums, it's probably the same crud-o-la there as well.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:49 PM

4 posts, read 12,561 times
Well my exp with texas remeber this is all just this month and in a town of 8000, there was one random murder where the guy was chopped up and spread out in a field, home invasions, armed robberies and shootings oh I almost forgot the whitney high sex scandal, the vice principal for sexual favors has been telling students sex or they will be sent to alt school. Oh then there are the 5 students claiming of being beat for no reason except the color of hier skins by faculty. Then the fact there is that much crazy stuff going on in such a small town they push it under the rug so they dont scare off tourist dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas