Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 14,179 times

Advertisements

Hello All!
I have been looking through all the very informative post on small Texas towns but I still need some help. I am looking to relocate to a small town (no more than 10 or 15k polulation) within 250 miles in any direction from Dallas. My requirements are good schools, diverse community, has nursing home in town or in nearby town (30 miles away or less), low home prices, extra curricular activities available for my kiddos (preferrably dance/gymnastic, karate, or art classes), pretty landscapes, and a safe community. I have been doing alot of research on my own and would appreciate any feedback given.

-Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 04:31 AM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Default Is This Serious?

I'd hasten to question if this is even a remotely serious inquiry due to the sheer distance you are implying here in your thread's title. Either.....

(1) ....you are seeking job opportunities and are moving in from out-of-state and are looking from something with a few conveniences and little traffic.

(2) ....you mentioned Dallas and would actually like to find out about areas close to the outskirts of Dallas, which might be best handled in our Dallas forums. Our locals there can help you.

(3) ....you know absolutely nothing about our great state because we happen to have cities within 250 miles of Dallas (i.e. Houston, Austin, Shreveport, Abilene, Oklahoma City, Tyler, Waco, etc). Yes, some of them are outside of Texas.

(4) ....you are just another troll putting on another meaningless thread with ideas that have been previously explored dozens of times right here on this Texas forum in an effort to get us all worked up.

Now, having said all this, if this truly is legit, please let us know. But narrow your search to about 50 to 75 miles if you target any city in Texas. Good luck to you on your search.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:31 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saramacevedo View Post
Hello All!
I have been looking through all the very informative post on small Texas towns but I still need some help. I am looking to relocate to a small town (no more than 10 or 15k polulation) within 250 miles in any direction from Dallas. My requirements are good schools, diverse community, has nursing home in town or in nearby town (30 miles away or less), low home prices, extra curricular activities available for my kiddos (preferrably dance/gymnastic, karate, or art classes), pretty landscapes, and a safe community. I have been doing alot of research on my own and would appreciate any feedback given.

-Sara

Rusk Tx.

They have several ETMCs around there. And I see the state mental penitentary has a sign up looking for RNs and LVRNs(??) right on the front lawn. Population 5500. Very good schools. I don't know what kind of dance and karate you would find there, but I wouldthink Palestine (22 miles) or Jackonville (17 miles) would have something. They are around 15000 in population.

Palestine would be another choice. I don't know about the schools though.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
250 miles? Over a 4 hour drive or an hour flight? That's a big area you are looking at!

Gunter, Texas is a small town north of Dallas with exemplary schools. It's in Grayson County.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:50 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Do you have any idea how many towns are in 250 mile radius of Dallas? Climate, topography, everything changes in that distance from Dallas, depending on which direction you go.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Do you have any idea how many towns are in 250 mile radius of Dallas?
A really ridiculous thread, IMO!

Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
You'll find your best answer on a google map.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 14,179 times
Excuse me if I have offended all you regular users of this site. I was only putting this question out because there seems to be alot of knowledgable people who frequent here from many different places in Texas. I thought I could get some imput to narrow my search for safe and friendly small towns because going through a map is incredibly grueling as there is a large amount of towns near Dallas. I certainly did not ask for anybody to list me every small town w/i a 250 mile radius. I have lived in Dallas all my life and for reasons too lengthy to elborate on I am seeking to move out of Dallas and head to a small town where we can live a more "simple" life. My whole family is here so I wouldn't want wherever I live to be to far to drive back here on a weekend (the reason for the 250 mile radius). Thank you EasilyAmused and Farnorthdallas for your feedback....that's all I was wanting, just some recommendations.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Whitehouse, Bullard, or Lindale would suite your criteria very well.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:08 PM

308 posts, read 638,315 times
I'd go west - Stephanville, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: