Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you have arthritis to what degree does Texas humidity aggravate your condition, if any?
NO AFFECT, bring on that Lone Star State humidity! 0 0%
MILD aggravation, but I'm staying put. 2 100.00%
MODERATE aggravation, but it won't get me outta Texas! 0 0%
SEVERE: The humidity doubles me over. Drier West Texas is looking good. 0 0%
ALL of the Above: As a Life-long Texan, the humidity has worsened my arthritis over the years. 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:57 PM

Location: of Photo: MCBH Marine Corps Base, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii
16 posts, read 78,356 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I've lived in Texas prior, mostly around Randolph AFB, but at that time I was in heathy mid-life condition. Currently I live in a dry desert climate in the west.

Due to "over-use" in two branches of military service I am in long-term physical therapy and about to "graduate" to the gym side where I get rehabilitation.

Primarily to all Arthritis/Ortho Patients - or family members of such
I am trying to place myself in the best possible location for future bi-lateral total knee replacement surgery as I've been told by VA is likely to occur at some point. Temple, I heard long ago while living in SA, is actually one of the best VAMC's for ortho issues since it's also attached to Scott & White. This sounds like an easy decision to move there, or Georgetown, or Austin. (I would like to think I could manage a commute for medical appointmnets since I've come so far from the point of original diagnosis - see profile for details - yet I have to admit on extreme bad days I cannot push a car gas pedal so I don't know how wise that would be, unless there is DAV shuttle transportation from Austin or Georgetown).

On my best days I am still challenged, but eager to travel and as needed I do wear braces to protect my gains in PT. I like these communities because of their proximity to the AUS international and I enjoyed my visits to Austin.

FYI: I am highly motivated in physical therapy, for staying as healthy as possible allows me to live life to the fullest,* which for me means traveling our great nation and internationally. In contrast to my early years, now I have to consider the affects of humidity on my orthopedic situation for which I have no experience.

1) How does the humidity of the Temple, Georgetown, or Austin area affect your ortho condition/arthritis?

2) What personal thought can you share regarding my dilemma, realizing one of the Best VA's for ortho treatment in Texas also may at the same time, offer a contraindication in the form of humidity?

3) Please share additional thoughts or ideas you find may be of assistance.

I am new to orthopedic problems and this surprise and life-changer all came down in April of 2009. However, I've come a long way since those days of being on crutches. Keeping the gains I've made requires daily physical therapy of 2 hrs +. I am dedicated and a hard worker in physical therapy, but there is no point fighting humid weather if it would worsen my condition.

I very much enjoyed my time in Texas when I was healthy, but need your insights to humidity related issues now that I am a bit "gimpy." I'm still getting used to the idea of being given handicapped placards. My VA doctor initially marked "permanent" on the dmv form, but I told her to mark it for review in a couple of years. I'm for optomism!

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts, insights, and experiences!

*(See the movie recommendations in my profile)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 PM

Red face Please Pardon my Narrowed City Focus: All of Texas, Please Share Feedback on Humidity Affect on your Arthritis

Any Texans out there wish to share how the hot and humid weather in summers affects your arthritis issues.

Please also indicate your city when posting.

Thanks!

ps. I'm also open to suggestions as how to better present this question to get some responses. A specific Texas city board? A different approach?

Thanks, from a newbie.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:50 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
I have a mild case of it in one of my fingers, but really, the weather doesn't bother it. I have a few mildly painful days with it when the weather first starts to change from hot to colder, but i don't take anything for it.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:48 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,233,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I have a mild case of it in one of my fingers, but really, the weather doesn't bother it. I have a few mildly painful days with it when the weather first starts to change from hot to colder, but i don't take anything for it.
When living in Houston I'd get an odd pain in my wrist about the time fall sets in. It'd last a few days then go away.

Watching the weather, I learned that when a low pressure system landed in the Oregon/Washington state area I'd get that pain. Once that same front passed through southeast Texas the pain would go away.

With regularity.

Having moved to Dallas the phenomena changed a bit, maybe affecting a different area of my body or less severe.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:45 AM

Default Changing Weather and Arthritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Love Roses, Thank you for the feedback!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:48 AM

Default Surveying the Affects of Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
When living in Houston I'd get an odd pain in my wrist about the time fall sets in. It'd last a few days then go away.

Watching the weather, I learned that when a low pressure system landed in the Oregon/Washington state area I'd get that pain. Once that same front passed through southeast Texas the pain would go away.

With regularity.

Having moved to Dallas the phenomena changed a bit, maybe affecting a different area of my body or less severe.
Thanks WillysB,

I've decided to head on down to Austin, and travel up to Temple there and inbetween, to inquire of folks 1:1. A bit of a dirct ortho survey in the places I'd think about relocating to, so to speak.

Appreciate the feedback!

Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,239,219 times
A side note.....living in the Temple you would have easy access to one of the best hospitals in the country - Scott & White. If you're not familiar with it, it's worth checking out - for someone with health issues, it would be a big plus.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:38 PM

Cool Scott & White and Texas Snowmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
A side note.....living in the Temple you would have easy access to one of the best hospitals in the country - Scott & White. If you're not familiar with it, it's worth checking out - for someone with health issues, it would be a big plus.
Thank you for your comments, GayleTX. At the time of your recent post I had taken the opportunity to fly to Austin in order to enjoy a week taking a second look at communities between there and Temple, for the very reason you noted. Indeed, the VA Hospital at Temple is enhanced by its association with Scott and White.

I surveyed several fellow veterans at the orthopedic clinic and their feedback was essentially as follows: the hot humid weather of the summer is not so much a problem for their arthritis or orthopedic issues. The greater problem and weather related aggravation is due to the cold damp winter humidity associated with rain and related dampness.

Some told me of increased diffuculty during the recent, but rare, Texas snow and cold snap. Some noted they could feel the weather change coming on, and one noted increased swelling around joints.

Of course, it is an individual thing, and some toelerate the changes in barometric pressure more that others based on their unique circumstances, but overall, the feedback was consistent. The discomfort was not enought to make them want to move to drier climates assosciated with the desert. So too, many were on medication for pain and thus could not provide accurate feedback due to the masking of their symptoms and pain levels.

The VA physical therapist I spoke to stated naturally there will be aggravation to joints when barometric pressure changes since all joints have a components that are pressurized.

I did note that the Temple VAMC has a therapeutic swimming pool in the basement, and in addition to physical therapy and occupational therapy, also has a kinesiologist and chiropractor on board. These aspects are big pluses to the Temple VA as not all VAMC's have a therapeutic pool.

From what limited information I gathered it is primarily complicated ortho surgeries and cases that are sent over to Scott & White for treatment. The VA conducts surgery on most ortho patients in their care since they are set up to do so. I gained much information that will be helpful in my future decision to call a place home. All in all, this was a worthwhile trip and for many reasons, I always experience happiness being back onTexas turf!

I particularly enjoyed the many Texas snowmen that dotted the landscape upon my arrival. To be sure, I enjoyed this refreshingly whimsical welcome on my return to the Lone Star State!

Many Thanks for the feedback,
LadyVeteran

Old 03-08-2010, 08:07 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,833 times
I have a daughter (in her 20's) in Austin with severe arthritis, and yep, humidity is troublesome year-round, but worse combined with cold weather. Rapid weather changes any time of year also cause great difficulties. She always knows three days in advance when storms approach, even when the meteorologists do not! As for me, I had a simple knee surgery due to injury two years ago, and yep, still feel it during weather changes and have found that humidity is a big trigger (any temperature). I guess it all depends on what level of pain you feel, and perhaps how much of a factor inflammation is with your condition. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas