Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:33 AM

25 posts, read 53,590 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Findlay, OH (about 30 min south of Toledo) and i'm about to get my associates in computer programming. I want to transfer to a University and get a degree in Software Engineering. It's a relatively new field and there are not many schools that offer it yet. That said, I find the University of Houston and the University of Texas in Dallas (UTD) as my best options.

I have a wife and two children; ages 7 and 1, so i'm looking for some input on where to settle in. Obviously, if I didn't have these responsibilities I would just live right on campus but that's not the case. I was researching towns just outside of Houston such as Katy, Sugarland, and Missouri City. I would like a good school system for my children as well as safe. I would like to be relatively close to campus so I would not have to commute very long every day. I have never lived in a big city so this will more than likely be a culture shock to us, but if we live outside of the city it should make the transition a little easier.

I've also looked into UTD but have not researched cities surrounding Dallas. (actually the University is located in Richardson). So if any of you have some input on each city/University I would appreciate it. Obviously our children come first, so suggestions on their best interest (school district, safety) would be greatly appreciated also.

I forgot Houston was along the coast so the beach would be a plus, but I hear the water is pretty nasty. But hey, can't be any worst than the Great Lakes, lol

Economically, it seems that Texas is still doing pretty good compared to the rest of the country and getting a job after graduation is probably greater than elsewhere (Ohio or Michigan)

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 12:08 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
I attended U of H many years ago, I liked it very much. The University of Houston is very much a commuter, adult, with children type university, although changing. I now live in Tyler. There are far more cities to live in near Richardson with probably many more options for houses and schools for your children and closer to school for you.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Thanks for your reply. I've done some research on these two schools. I get the feeling that UTD is pretty conservative and a big Catholic school. That doesn't sound like me and I fear that I wouldn't fit in or I would feel pressure to morph into something i'm not. Is that assumption correct?

On the other hand, you are right, finding a good place to live close to campus and offer good schools for my children seem to lean towards UTD.

U of H seems to have a beautiful campus. Did you commute? What about the cities I listed: (Katy, Missouri City, Sugar Land). Would that be a relatively long commute?

Old 02-06-2010, 12:47 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
I went to UH central campus, and I have taken classes at UH-Clear Lake (branch campus in SE Houston). Never been to UT-D, but I have reasearched it in the past. UT-D is a very small branch of the University of Texas. I understand you would not get the full "college experience" if you went there. However the average SAT scores at this school are very high, and I think even comparable to UT-Austin. It is one of a select few public schools that the state of Texas is considering extra funding to elevate the school to Tier 1 status (think academic status of Michigan, Ohio State, etc). So it is a very good school. You may be thinking of the University of Dallas, which is a private school. University of Texas-Dallas and University of Dallas are 2 separate universities. Overall UH is a good school, but it doesn't have the same academic reputation as UT-D, and currently it is primarily a commuter school, although that is starting to change. However, UH is very large so there are a LOT more cultural and a LOT more athletic events on campus, and there are a LOT more majors to choose from if you were just starting out. You would have to major in computer science at UH, but I am a software engineer with a computer science BS so it is quite common to go that route.

Right now we are in suburban Clear Lake SE of Houston. The schools here are top notch as they get the children of NASA engineers. Also you should know there is a branch of UH in Clear Lake, and I am pretty sure you can take UH-System classes at a site in Sugarland. The branch here in Clear Lake offers only Jr level, Sr level, and Masters level courses. They only have an undergrad in computer science and not software engineering , but as I said earlier it is very common to get a BS an computer science and become a software engineer. Also UH-Clear Lake has an online Masters in software engineering that pretty much caters to the NASA community http://prtl.uhcl.edu/portal/page/por..._EngineeringMS

Consider Clear Lake. You are near the city, but not quite in it, so things will be a bit slower than in Houston. You have all the amenities of the city out here (shopping, dining, hospitals), and you are near a branch university where you can finish your degree. You are also 30 minutes to Galveston, although I am not sure I would consider that a bonus... People commute from the suburbs (Katy, Sugarland) to Houston all the time, but personally I am from a small town so I find Houston traffic nerve wracking. Sugarland is nice, but I don't understand all the attention it gets. I like living in Clear Lake!

Last edited by DanielWayne; 02-06-2010 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-06-2010, 01:20 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
UTD is not a Catholic school. It's a public university. You might be confusing it with Univ of Dallas which is in Irving and a private Catholic university.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:55 PM

Thanks guys,

Yea, I was mixing up UD and UTD : embarrassed:

Speaking of Galveston. What is considered the best beach there?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:12 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
I haven't been to a beach in Galveston in a while so I don't really know about beaches. The West End has the nicest beaches, but it is a ways from the amenities of Galveston. Ain't much out there (the West End) besides vacation homes and beaches. The Strand district is pretty fun, but be careful when you visit Galveston. Some areas can get dicey.

Another plug for UHCL - if you land a job with one of the area contractors after graduation (and provided Congress does not allow the budget cuts at NASA) there is a 99% chance they will pay for your masters in software engineering tuition. That's why UHCL has an online MS in Swen - for the surrounding industry. Also UHCL is small and boring, BUT a few years ago there was a "safety" ranking in some magazine like USNews that had UHCL as the safest campus in the nation. I am a die hard alum of the UH main campus, but the surrounding area of UH main is not the safest. Especially if you have a family to care for. Something to consider.

Last edited by DanielWayne; 02-06-2010 at 06:24 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 11:14 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subiedude View Post
Thanks guys,

Yea, I was mixing up UD and UTD : embarrassed:

Speaking of Galveston. What is considered the best beach there?
They are all about the same...it's just some are real crowded and some are not...If you get away from the city there will be less people on the beaches...

Old 02-08-2010, 05:00 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,741 times
Well, where have you been to a beach before? Texas beaches, especially Galveston, don't hold a candle to Florida or California beaches. So I need to know your perspective.

Also, I understand Galveston is still recovering from Ike. I don't know what the touristy parts are like now, I haven't been down there in forever.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Friends of mine in the League City/Galveston area say things are looking way up. Not every single building is redone, but lots are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas