Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,036 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I need your help soon. I am moving from the Seattle, WA area to the Dallas, TX area this year and need some help finding out where to live.

Some things about me and my family:
My husband and I are 40 years young/old, but we are very "young at heart" people. We like to dance and have a good time, we love all kinds of music (rock, R&B, techno, pop, etc.), we love watching movies, love walking our dogs (3 bassett hound dogs), love working out at the gym, my husband likes theme parks (scary rides, etc.) and I love to shop. We also love meeting new people. We are liberal minded people, we are democrats, we are not religious, we are very open minded people and we support the gay community where we live now. My husband is black and I am white. We have a 20 year old son who is finishing college at UW. We do not know if our son will stay here in WA or if he will move with us, so schools/colleges are not an issue. We own our own small healthcare computer consulting business. My husband does the computer consulting for hospitals and I work from home doing the accounting, legal and administrative duties for the business.

What we are looking for:
1) A place where it has more liberal, democratic, open minded people like us.
2) A dog friendly place to live.
3) LOW Crime Rate Area - A safe area is VERY important to us.
4) Some what close to things to do (dancing, music, shopping, movies, food, etc.).
5) A place where "mixed" couples will not be an issue.
6) We do not want to be in a place where there are a "majority" of young college kids - We do not want to live in a "college" town with 18-22 year olds. A majority of 30-40's would be nice, but not a requirement.
7) We are looking to rent a house (dog friendly) for about 6 months and then we will buy a home.
8) Not too far from the airports because my husband travels for work so I would be taking him to and from the airport.
9) We do not want to live in a place where it is very religious.
10) We just want to live in a nice safe open minded neighborhood where a "mixed" couple will feel comfortable.

What areas in Dallas, around Dallas, or outside the Dallas area would you recommend and why? Please help. Thank you in advance for all your help. I really appreciate any feedback on where to live in the Dallas area. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
DFW area is open minded in general. The mid-cities come to mind. Grapevine, Coppell, Southlake or some of the North Dallas suburbs.. I have lived in Grapevine and that is why I mention it. It is low crime and there are not a lot of young college kids. The area is for the most part upper middle class. Shoppping is pretty much everywhere in the DFW area. Dance and music clubs are closer to the city (Dallas) which is quite a drive. Arlington is a college town and there are a lot of tourist things to do (Ranger baseball stadium, Cowboys Stadium, Six Flags etc) There are a lot of other areas as you will get more suggestions. The DFW metro area is approaching a 7 milion people in population, and remember it is called the Big-D for a reason. Once you settle you will probably stay in your own area since you have to drive a lot to get anywhere out of the ordinary. It is fine for visitors, but for residents it's a fact of life.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:46 AM

206 posts, read 503,599 times
San Francisco dude. Youll hate Dallas

Old 04-09-2010, 07:51 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman15470 View Post
I thought about steering them to Arkansas but then decided to let reality creep take care of it.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Check out Lakewood. Its going to be the closest to those requirements for Dallas.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:19 PM

423 posts, read 824,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Chanel View Post
5) A place where "mixed" couples will not be an issue.
The only place I can think of it where it would be an issue is some random rural town in East Texas. But since you don't intend on moving there, you should be ok

Old 04-10-2010, 01:15 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
No he won't. He needs to check out Oaklawn area of Dallas.

Dallas is The San Francisco of Texas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTxvJ...eature=related

While you are at check out Deep Ellum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Azyz...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT9IQZs_x1Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman15470 View Post

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-10-2010 at 01:26 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 11:05 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
You won't hate Dallas. Theres all walks of life that live here. Lakewood, Oak Lawn or Knox Henderson seem like the areas I would steer you toward. I dont understand why everyone assumes Dallas is a big closed minded & overly religious place. If people here are overly religious they are awfully shy about it. I have never encountered someone that mentioned that stuff to me.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
The only people that appear stuck up and religious are people that are over 55. Occasional you will run into some young bigoted twerps that were raised in a religious household.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
You won't hate Dallas. Theres all walks of life that live here. Lakewood, Oak Lawn or Knox Henderson seem like the areas I would steer you toward. I dont understand why everyone assumes Dallas is a big closed minded & overly religious place. If people here are overly religious they are awfully shy about it. I have never encountered someone that mentioned that stuff to me.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:42 AM

307 posts, read 1,097,430 times
I didn't know liberal, democratic, open minded were mutually exclusive...

Why can't you be libertarian, Libertarian, and open minded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas