Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 10:40 PM

124 posts, read 122,023 times

Advertisements

Why is Texas so far behind in healthcare? I wasn't aware of the education issues or the healthcare issues until I moved down here. This actually alarms me to be honest.

Feds rank Texas worst healthcare provider - Houston Chronicle

Texas Dead Last In Health Care Quality, Federal Study Says - Law360
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 10:59 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,620,882 times
You can get excellent health care in Texas, I don't know why it would rank dead last. Some of the best health facilities in the world can be found in Houston, DFW, San Antonio, Austin. The only reason I can think that would drive down the score is there are so many immigrants from other countries who don't have health insurance, and probably fear deportation if they show up at a health facility seeking medical attention.

It could be overhyped, over exaggerated and taken out of context, too, especially by people who don't like Texas and will jump at a chance to point the finger at Texas.

Texas does not offer 3rd World health care to its citizens. It's last place ranking is distorted and doesn't tell the whole story.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 10-27-2016 at 11:09 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 12:01 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,774 times
Texas isn't "behind" in health care. It is home to the world's largest, most comprehensive aggregation of medical talent and facilities in the world, namely, the Texas Medical Center in Houston, Texas. It is literally second to none in the breadth and quality of the services it offers.

Sloan-Kettering, Johns-Hopkins, and the Mayo Clinic all secretly aspire to be half the institution the Texas Medical Center is once they grow up.

Patients who want the best medical care available in the world travel from all corners of that world to Houston, Texas, to obtain the high-quality medical care they seek. That includes the indigent, as well as patients for whom cost is no object.

And the same will be true when humans have established permanent outposts on other planets. Patients in need of the best medical care available will still be traveling to Houston for that care. They'll just be traveling most of the way to Houston via spaceship. Then they can Uber over to the Med Center.

But they won't be asking the spaceship jockey to take them to Poughkeepsie. Or Sausalito. Or Rancho Cucamonga.

No, indeed. Rather, they'll be saying, "Get me to Houston, Warp Factor 5! There's an operating table with my name on it."

Too bad the Houston Comical completely forgot about their world-renowned neighbor down the road. Then again...the Comical has been getting away with impersonating a newspaper for a long time. It may be time for them to simply drop the laughable pretense.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:50 AM

2,327 posts, read 3,937,599 times
Both sources are from summer 2012...

Old 10-28-2016, 05:24 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,350,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
Why is Texas so far behind in healthcare? I wasn't aware of the education issues or the healthcare issues until I moved down here. This actually alarms me to be honest.

Did you even your own links?

The drag on the Texas ranking is insurance rates.

You are confusing healthcare with insurance rates and the articles you posted are misleading at best.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:59 AM

124 posts, read 122,023 times
To be honest we have had better health care overal in other states then here. I can't compare Houston, but we have had better healthcare.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:20 AM

439 posts, read 437,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post

By Feds, would these be the same clowns who are now in charge? Help me understand here.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:24 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,052 times
We get it: you hate Austin, and now you are finding everything you can wrong with Texas itself. Please go back to wherever you came from and stop trolling the Texas forums.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:15 AM

439 posts, read 437,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
We get it: you hate Austin, and now you are finding everything you can wrong with Texas itself. Please go back to wherever you came from and stop trolling the Texas forums.
That is okay. They don't have to leave. By tradition, Texans hate Austin politics as well. As the stench of an out house should be preferred by Texans to that of the confines of a courtroom, so should our government always be kept part time.

If it ain't broken in Texas and you fix it, you ain't smart.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:20 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,003,193 times
Give a rest TrollyChic. We don't need your junk.

It's delightful though that you don't like TX. Adios with your hatred and negativity! That poison is infinitely worse than anything you complain about.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 10-28-2016 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas