Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times

Advertisements

Have been reading posts on TX forum for only a few months--but I am struck by how many people (when they are asking for information because they want to relocated to TX) are doing so because they WANT to vs. HAVE to....

We have only moved when DH has been relocated for work...so I guess I am a little out of the loop---and it has been like 23 years since my last move but

1) are so many of these people working from home so they take their income/job with them when they move and that is why they seem pretty unworried about employment?

2) are they confident that their industry is so worker-starved that they will find a job here paying what they need to live on that they aren't really worried? Is the job market so hot they don't have to have a job before they come--
think there are only a few areas that are really that desparate for people(especially mid-salary people and above) because most of the people I know who live/work in DFW area don't feel that sanguine about changing jobs w/o time and effort to put in and contacts to speed the process...which out-of-town people usually don't have...

3) are they independently wealthy, so having a job is not something to worry about anyway?

4) Are most of these people not really moving but just kind of wishing out loud by posting about possibilities?

I guess I just don't get the thinking behind people--especially people w/kids--who seemingly consider moving w/o having a safety net of good employment under them...Am I missing something in the equation/postings???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 07:00 AM

549 posts, read 2,194,939 times
Maybe its a little bit of everything you mentioned. Not sure why it needs to be analyzed though.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:17 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,687,192 times
I've seen this in posts throughout all the forums. It's mind-boggling to me, too, but then I think most people who are moving are coming because of the outrageous real estate in their areas and probably have savings and figure with the cost of living lower here, they'll be okay for a few months while they job hunt? Or maybe their spouse has a job and one is moving ahead of the other? I'm sure some of them are just being transferred, or they are gathering preliminary info on the areas they want to live in, but plan to have a job lined up and waiting wherever they choose to relocate. The twentysomethings probably figure they can always find work in restaurants and retail while they're looking for a real job, which... they're right, they can. Those are my theories anyway!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
that is kind of my backround assessment as well--not what I call real thinking however...

Old 06-13-2007, 08:40 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,148,243 times
I think perhaps, loves2read is worried about the socio-economic impact of so many people moving without jobs already lined up, especially if they fail to find employment relatively quickly.

I think such types of moves are not that uncommon, it's just now that we are so intouch with complete strangers (via the internet) that we are more aware of the events.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 AM

55 posts, read 156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Have been reading posts on TX forum for only a few months--but I am struck by how many people (when they are asking for information because they want to relocated to TX) are doing so because they WANT to vs. HAVE to....

We have only moved when DH has been relocated for work...so I guess I am a little out of the loop---and it has been like 23 years since my last move but

1) are so many of these people working from home so they take their income/job with them when they move and that is why they seem pretty unworried about employment?

2) are they confident that their industry is so worker-starved that they will find a job here paying what they need to live on that they aren't really worried? Is the job market so hot they don't have to have a job before they come--
think there are only a few areas that are really that desparate for people(especially mid-salary people and above) because most of the people I know who live/work in DFW area don't feel that sanguine about changing jobs w/o time and effort to put in and contacts to speed the process...which out-of-town people usually don't have...

3) are they independently wealthy, so having a job is not something to worry about anyway?

4) Are most of these people not really moving but just kind of wishing out loud by posting about possibilities?

I guess I just don't get the thinking behind people--especially people w/kids--who seemingly consider moving w/o having a safety net of good employment under them...Am I missing something in the equation/postings???
For us it is a combination of things, but it is more want than need, I suppose. We don't HAVE to move, but we'd like to. We're working toward that goal. We have a specific school in mind for our kid and a community we'd like to be a part of. We will not be moving to TX until the job comes along. There is a chance that my husband will get transfered there with his current job. That's how this all started, ironically. His company was going to transfer him last year and we did some research.

We happen to be very lucky. We own a nice home. It is so expensive here that it prevents many with good salaries from doing the same. I have friends from California that moved to TX because had they stayed in CA they'd be forever paying high rent. Never ever owning.

Regarding the job..I have heard of people moving and then looking for work. We'd never do it.

When I work, (currently a SAHM) I work from home as an underwriter. I've been doing that for years.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 AM

549 posts, read 2,194,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPadge View Post

I think such types of moves are not that uncommon, it's just now that we are so intouch with complete strangers (via the internet) that we are more aware of the events.
Good point. I believe this is happening in a lot of areas with lesser expensive real estate such as NC and SC.

It is what it is.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:55 AM

108 posts, read 570,450 times
I find it incomprehensible that someone would pick up and move to another city without having a job lined up beforehand.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:13 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,885 times
What always strikes me about the Texas relocation questions is how many people don't seem to realize that Texas is larger than some countries and is bigger than putting some states together. Therefore, the "Where should I live" questions are so scary as it is often obvious that the people asking the questions haven't done enough basic research to even know how different the areas of Texas are, muchless enough research to know job markets, etc. It seems that the state forums could be much more helpful to those people who have done their research first, so they could ask more educated questions, not shot in the dark questions.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:15 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,384,846 times
i must say i have always wondered the same..however NONE of it applies to me...i am an Emergency Room Registered Nurse......i DO write my own ticket and can literally put my finger on the map and find a job with a good income anywhere..............but those who are not medical professionals? yeah...i do wonder, i just dont get it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas