Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:41 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Ok I just wondered. I am personally fiscally very conservative and socially very liberal. I guess when people go on and on about conservative vs liberal I take it as socially. Which I feel like isn't good for the progression of this country, it only holds us back. Being fiscally conservative is always smart and I think thats why Texas is so successful. However I feel the socially conservative nature of the education requirement changes will hurt the economic impact of Texas greatly. It worries me of what may come from these blind sinded changes. I hope they are modified before being put into place.
I'm agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:36 AM

316 posts, read 877,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
The ethos I see a lot of in Texas is pure selfishness. A lot of people want all the benefits of society to flow their way: cheap labor, a government responsive to their needs, low taxes. With none of the burdens of responsibility of a civilized society.
How about Live and let live. And less government.

There. Rephrased it for you.

This philosophy has worked well so far. As compared to other states, countries and continents.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Theres still a substantial portion of the population who are Democrats. Also the Republicans are feeding off social and ideological issues while ripping off the Texas consumer: toll roads, deregulation, insurance corruption. That can only go on for so long without a shift.
toll roads, rip offs, Republican, can you say California? They have had toll roads for generations and certainly are not conservative. Almost every state in the union is opting for toll roads, I guess that makes every state Republican. As for deregulation, as in what? Oh and the insurance corruption, all the fault of those nasty Republicans, right? You are aware more people identify themselves as conservatives than ever before aren't you?

Nita

Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
The ethos I see a lot of in Texas is pure selfishness. A lot of people want all the benefits of society to flow their way: cheap labor, a government responsive to their needs, low taxes. With none of the burdens of responsibility of a civilized society.
Another way to look at this is that many people want all the benefits of society to flow their way via the government. They want high wages (via unions protected by politicians), cheap rent/housing (via price controls), great infrastructure (via rich government investment and high taxes), and more.

Too many people aren't willing the pay the price for their own mistakes, whatever they are. They are professional victims, and want to blame other people for their problems.

I think what Texas stands for is not selfishness, but self-sufficiency and responsibility. It is ultimately my job to take of my family. Not you, not my neighbor, and certainly not the government.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,478 times
Xenophobic, much? "Non-English words!!!!" Danger, danger, Will Robinson! Considering that most English speakers have problems with English, I'd think CD would encourage a more luxuriant multi-lingual, intellectually-gratifying tête-à-têtefrom time to time. Philistines. Wait, is this site run out of Arizona? I KNEW IT!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:45 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoseph2 View Post
How about Live and let live. And less government.

There. Rephrased it for you.

This philosophy has worked well so far. As compared to other states, countries and continents.
Only if you base the success of society on how little the rich and corporations pay in taxes. In other other metrics Texas is doing poorly. Highest prison population in the country. Ranked 43rd overall in educational standards. Highest number of uninsured children in the country. Highest number of employed person on minimum wage in the country.

I would argue the state is failing the bulk of the people it is sworn to serve.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Only if you base the success of society on how little the rich and corporations pay in taxes. In other other metrics Texas is doing poorly. Highest prison population in the country. Ranked 43rd overall in educational standards. Highest number of uninsured children in the country. Highest number of employed person on minimum wage in the country.

I would argue the state is failing the bulk of the people it is sworn to serve.
Texas prison population is undeniably high. I believe 2008 data shows California's prison population is actually higher than Texas. But I think incarceration rate is a bit more meaningful than total prison population since Texas is the 2nd largest state. Texas incarceration rate is lower than Louisiana, Mississippi, and Oklahoma. Texas' rate is also declining. Texas makes no secret of the fact it is a law and order state.

Incarceration Rate - Kaiser State Health Facts

The Sentencing Project Interactive Map

As for education standards - I'm not sure what data you look at. I hope it isn't a meaningless one like teacher salaries.

The link below (I hope it works) shows that Texas exceeds the national averages in 4th and 8th grade performance for both reading and math. Texas beats "progressive" California easily.

If the link doesn't work - select state profiles under data tools and choose Texas.

State Profiles Home Page

You have repeated several times that Texas has the highest number of minimum wage workers. It may or may not have the highest total number - but as the 2nd largest state it should be higher than most other states. Texas DOES NOT have the highest rate of minimum wage workers.

From the Bureau of Labor Statistics:

Tables 1 - 10; Characteristics of Minimum Wage Workers: 2008

Some states, such as California, have lower rates of workers earning minimum wage. Unfortunately their unemployment rate is far higher (12.6% now vs. 8.2%) so CA has 100,000s of workers earning ZERO wages at all (or some unemployment). Which is worse?

Old 06-08-2010, 03:41 PM

The difference, in UNEMPLOYED workers, between California and Texas, is about 1,250,000.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data (Texas)

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data (California)

Old 06-09-2010, 08:50 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
More like the US of today is the Texas of tomorrow.

I think you could say the California of today is the US of tomorrow, for better or for worse.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:45 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
More like the US of today is the Texas of tomorrow.

I think you could say the California of today is the US of tomorrow, for better or for worse.
Not all ! White population is lower than in he US (46% in Texas, 65% in the US).
Texas is the future of America racially speaking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas