Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times

Advertisements

So it looks like I'll be relocating to Toledo for a year or so. My guess is I'll still be traveling back and forth from Cleveland a few times a month, but I still need a home "nest" for Toledo.

I haven't done much searching yet, but I'm a guy who loves walkable neighborhoods. My first instinct is to look Downtown.

Any recommendations for Downtown apartments?
Any recommendations for neighborhoods outside of Downtown?

Thanks and I look forward to my move in a few weeks!

Ideally, I'd like something under $1000 a month. I also generally prefer historic properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 PM

180 posts, read 341,610 times
Plenty of downtown options that meet your criteria! A few I'd recommend:
Lasalle Apartments, the Commodore Perry, and the Standart Lofts. The latter were just renovated and hit the market in the last couple months. All three are within a couple blocks of 5/3rd Field (Mudhens - baseball) and Huntington Arena (Walleye - hockey).

Old 02-10-2012, 03:31 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,830 times
Along with those three big apartment buildings johio83 mentioned, there's also the Riverfront Apartments which is a tall building and are really affordable but I don't think they're that cool, in my opinion, especially if your budget is anywhere close to 1000. The Bartley Lofts are cool, they're condos but some are for rent. They have indoor parking and I believe a rooftop pool.

Further out in the Uptown area there's the Hillcrest which is a huge historic building. There's not much around it, but Adams St. with its bars are close, which is a plus.

All the places we mentioned are in "Downtown Toledo" (Warehouse District, Downtown/Arena District, & Uptown). You also asked about other neighborhoods and the only good walkable historic neighborhood worth your time would be the Old West End. The Old West End is literally adjacent to Downtown, Uptown to be specific. Throughout the neighborhood there's lots of beautiful old huge houses, many of which are divided up into really cool apartments (many are quite affordable for all the character you get). That would definitely be worth looking into. There's not much in the way of businesses or amenities in the OWE though, mostly residential, churches, ans the Art Museum. Anything downtown is a quick bike ride away though.

Museum Place apartments is a complex of big old buildings across from the Art Museum, and might be worth checking out as well.

Good luck with your search and welcome to Toledo! Feel free to ask away about anything.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:37 PM

Guys, thanks for the in depth info -- exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I'll let you know my further questions as they come to mind!

Last edited by costello_musicman; 02-10-2012 at 04:16 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
With a nice budget like that, and only a year to see the city, I'd go with Downtown. The Old West End would be a good option if you happen to dislike large apartment complexes for some reason though.

There are other neighborhoods that could fit the bill, but you might as well keep it simple and go for the best match given your criteria: Downtown. Especially if you'll be working downtown.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:42 PM

Question: I'm really starting to like the Old West End. What would you say are the best/premier areas of it and why? Any sections I should completely avoid?

Old 02-13-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Question: I'm really starting to like the Old West End. What would you say are the best/premier areas of it and why? Any sections I should completely avoid?

The OWE is one of those types of neighborhoods where its immaculate and beautiful with great people on one block, and abandoned houses and gangs on the next. You really just have to scope it out before you make any decisions, but I maintain that its the coolest, nicest, most progressive neighborhood in the city.

The neighborhood is the best the farther south you go toward Monroe St and the Art Museum. You don't want to be real close to Detroit Ave because its full blown "hood" as in low income, run down, high crime...same thing if you get near Central Ave, and you wouldn't want to go past Collingwood to the East. Myself personally, I would probably want to be on or around Parkwood, Scottwood, Robinwood, no farther up than Islington, to be safe but you can decide your comfort level for yourself.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 PM

Now I've been pondering possible buying, since for the first time in my life, I am experiencing "reverse sticker shock" outside of Cleveland.

The Old West End seems to interest me, and more so now that I saw some prices...WOW!

Can you guys give me an opinion on these Old West End properties?

2200 Scottwood Avenue #310, Toledo OH | MLS# 5029760 - Trulia

2561 Parkwood Avenue, Toledo OH | MLS# 5033337 - Trulia

Scottwood Avenue, Toledo OH - Trulia

Old 02-24-2012, 10:24 AM

They seem like good places. That Parkwood one is about the farthest north I would care to live, but its still good around there.

Just to elaborate on the neighborhood. You initially mentioned liking walkable neighborhoods. I don't know if youll find the OWE walkable. I mean its fine for literally walking, but when I think of the term walkable, I think of a place where all, or at least a decent amount of my daily needs can be accessed by foot. The OWE, while having ample historic housing stock, lacks any kind of business district. Youll be able to take care of some stuff, banking, dry cleaning, dining and entertainment, maybe even your work(?) downtown...but beyond that you'll probably still find yourself leaving the central city for other things. There's next to zero shopping downtown, the most critical of all being a grocery store. Hopefully these things being in walking distance isnt essential for you though.

I personally found living in the Westgate / Old Orchard area to be weirdly walkable for me. From my apartment I had the best grocery stores, as well as coffee shops, and other dining within a few blocks walk. I wouldn't consider the streets walkable as the businesses are a little more suburban style, but just in terms of having key amenities extremely close.

I think Downtown Perrysburg might be the most walkable place. Just a 3 block little downtown, but theres cool apartments above the businesses, several clothing stores, several nice restaurants, a coffee shop, a library, hardware store, parks nearby, and importantly, a grocery store.

Just my two cents as far as the topic of walkability in Toledo goes. Old West End is still hands down the coolest neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo