Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,257 times

Advertisements

So I recently got a new job in Toledo and I'm currently living an hour away, and I would love to move closer before winter hits. However, I work for a non-profit which means my income isn't spectacular and I'm really having a hard time finding a place that's affordable but still nice. It seems that all of the apartments with rent around $500 have terrible reviews, and I don't know Toledo well enough to know what neighborhoods I should avoid. Does anyone know of any apartments, $550 a month max, that they would recommend? I originally wanted to find a place that allows animals because I would love a cat, but at this point I'm willing to give that up if it means living in a decent place. Any and all thoughts are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 01:22 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,838,052 times
Congrats on your new job and welcome to Toledo!

If you haven't already, check out this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/toled...ledo-year.html

There were a lot of nice apartments mentioned in that thread that you can check out. Not sure if all fit your budget but I'm sure most do.

I also wanted to add that many times people are much more likely to post bad versus good reviews of any place online, especially when it comes to apartment communities so you shouldn't base your entire decision on where to live on online reviews in particular.

Do you mind sharing some of the locations you are looking into? Someone may have some experience with that particular apartment community or can provide you advice on neighborhoods or other amenities.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:33 PM

555 posts, read 893,511 times
When my husband taught at UT (2010-14), he rented a ground-floor apartment at Heatherwick House; I spent a sabbatical there with him and liked the place. It's at the edge of your price range, but the neighborhood is very safe, and the management took care of any issues promptly. http://www.noneman.com/pdfs/Apartmen...ct_For_You.pdf

Old 10-13-2015, 03:42 PM

801 posts, read 2,568,175 times
How about Bowling Green? It's still some distance away (about 20-30 minutes down I-75 or Route 25) but it is closer than you are now. You would probably find some sub-$400 pet friendly apartments that are well maintained, safe, and actually in a walkable downtown area that you would really enjoy. I'd go for BG if I were you. If you spend less than expected on the apartment, you can invest in new snow tires.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:26 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,318,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
How about Bowling Green? It's still some distance away (about 20-30 minutes down I-75 or Route 25) but it is closer than you are now. You would probably find some sub-$400 pet friendly apartments that are well maintained, safe, and actually in a walkable downtown area that you would really enjoy. I'd go for BG if I were you. If you spend less than expected on the apartment, you can invest in new snow tires.
I'm going to have to agree to disagree with this suggestion, unless you want to live in a town that is overrun with college students most of the year. The downtown becomes party central on the weekends, so if you're not into that it would get pretty tiresome. Also, I grew up in rural NW Ohio and have never lived anywhere except NW Ohio and SE Michigan (currently) and I have never owned, nor known anyone who owned, snow tires. I have always driven in the winter with regular tires with no problem whatsoever. The problems come when you attempt to drive too fast for the road conditions, as you probably already know if you live an hour from Toledo. Not only that, and you can take this with a grain of salt, but they are predicting a warmer and much less snowy winter for this area this winter because of the strongest El Nino weather pattern in several years which always tends to affect our winter weather.

Back to the question at hand, would a one bedroom apartment work for you, or do you need a two bedroom? If you are willing to go with a one bedroom, your budget should definitely put you in a safe, decent, area. Areas that I would avoid: the Alexis Rd. corridor except for maybe the extreme western part in Sylvania, the Reynolds Rd. corridor (all of it), and anything along Monroe St. east of Douglas Rd., or possibly even Secor Rd. We have owned rental property in Toledo for years (we just rented a lovely one bedroom for $480 but don't have anything else available right now, unfortunately), and we have rented to many people over the years who have related horror stories about renting in those particular areas. Drugs, crime, etc., etc.

I would check out Perrysburg and Sylvania first, if they are too pricey (you definitely won't find a two bedroom for $500, maybe not even a one bedroom) then Maumee is nice and so is Waterville, although Waterville is more outlying. Bedford Township just over the state line in Michigan (encompasses Temperance and Lambertville) is also safe but still close to everything and has some apartments. That one, though, would depend on if you want to move to a different state or stay in Ohio.

Last edited by canudigit; 10-16-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 10-18-2015, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,257 times
I thought about BG, for sure, but the college town thing did kinda make me hesitate, but I'm thinking about it! The ones I'm thinking about checking out are Andover, Kenwood Gardens, Kings Cove and Greystone Lofts. But, like I said, open to any other suggestions! Definitely don't need a two bedroom, 1 bed or even a studio would be just fine! It's just me and probably a cat.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:28 AM

Canudigit, we had friends who lived at Westridge, just off of Reynolds (across from the Botanical Gardens) just a few years ago. Their neighborhood seemed fine then--has it deteriorated recently?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:41 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,318,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Canudigit, we had friends who lived at Westridge, just off of Reynolds (across from the Botanical Gardens) just a few years ago. Their neighborhood seemed fine then--has it deteriorated recently?
I guess I should have clarified what I meant by the Reynolds Rd. corridor because it's such a long road. I was speaking of the area roughly from the Maumee border to Dorr St., particularly around the old Southwyck Mall site. Those areas get pretty rough.

I don't really know much about the area around the Botanical Garden, but it definitely has to be better than the Reynolds/Airport area.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:51 PM

I've not visited since June 2014, but the area felt fine to walk in at that time. (It also has Schmucker's and my favorite Monette's.) I agree with you that things felt a little dicey south of Dorr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo