Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:40 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiptonGuy View Post
I recommend West Toledo or Point Place.

Start or Whitmer School Districts.
Point Place is mostly Woodward School District, baaaad school!

Once you get past Ottawa River it changes to Washington Local District (that's Whitmer school, much better but touches a very, very slim area of the Point)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,362 times
I personally live in Toledo on the North-West end, and I have friends who live on the South end.
DO NOT LIVE THERE IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE!
My best friend's mom (her parents are divorced) lived on that end of town, and she was brutally murdered. There are lots of problems on that part of town.
If you can find a nice house on the North end, please do, for the safety of your children if nothing else.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 7,351 times
Not a good choice. One of the areas of Toledo where crime and drugs are more abundant.

Old 10-08-2023, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 332 times
Exclamation No, never

I used to live at Hillview apartments back in the late 80s, and we moved 400 miles away bc the crime, drugs, gangbangers, shootings, and theft. My brother and I saw a woman get shot, but when my 4 yr old brother was snatched up by some sicko, who lured him to an abandoned apartment, my family got out. However all our family still lives there. I can’t imagine what it’s like to live there now bc then there were jobs, and now, not so much. Honestly, Ppl in Toledo and Detroit areas don't feel they have community, family, zero trust, and zero loyalty to anything other than maybe drugs. Most people feel forgotten, bc they’ve lost everything when they lost their livelihoods. The car manufacturers were the heart of Detroit and Toledo and that is when all colors of ppl could make a decent living, they saw a future, and had a sense of belonging, a purpose. They have no hope anymore. It’s a “I got nothing to lose mentality,” and the feeling of dread in many areas is palpable, and scary AF. Not to mention there ain’t a whole lot to do there for kids, and adults mostly go drink; rather it be at home, local bars or clubs.

Old 10-19-2023, 06:17 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettle111 View Post
I used to live at Hillview apartments back in the late 80s, and we moved 400 miles away bc the crime, drugs, gangbangers, shootings, and theft. My brother and I saw a woman get shot, but when my 4 yr old brother was snatched up by some sicko, who lured him to an abandoned apartment, my family got out. However all our family still lives there. I can’t imagine what it’s like to live there now bc then there were jobs, and now, not so much. Honestly, Ppl in Toledo and Detroit areas don't feel they have community, family, zero trust, and zero loyalty to anything other than maybe drugs. Most people feel forgotten, bc they’ve lost everything when they lost their livelihoods. The car manufacturers were the heart of Detroit and Toledo and that is when all colors of ppl could make a decent living, they saw a future, and had a sense of belonging, a purpose. They have no hope anymore. It’s a “I got nothing to lose mentality,” and the feeling of dread in many areas is palpable, and scary AF. Not to mention there ain’t a whole lot to do there for kids, and adults mostly go drink; rather it be at home, local bars or clubs.
Much has changed since the 1980s and in 2023 specifically, Toledo's violent crime rate is half of what it was in 2022. While the city may not be the auto industry hub it used to be, other employers have expanded. In May 2023 Toledo's Unemployment Rate was at 4% while the national average is at 3.8%, pretty close to average. There's also plenty to do if one is inclined and might suggest the world-class Toledo Museum of Art, Imagination Station, Toledo Zoo, baseball games at Fifth Third, Metroparks and the Toledo Botanical Garden, festivals, the Toledo Farmers Market and varying outdoor events year-round.

Old 10-19-2023, 09:26 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Much has changed since the 1980s and in 2023 specifically, Toledo's violent crime rate is half of what it was in 2022. While the city may not be the auto industry hub it used to be, other employers have expanded. In May 2023 Toledo's Unemployment Rate was at 4% while the national average is at 3.8%, pretty close to average. There's also plenty to do if one is inclined and might suggest the world-class Toledo Museum of Art, Imagination Station, Toledo Zoo, baseball games at Fifth Third, Metroparks and the Toledo Botanical Garden, festivals, the Toledo Farmers Market and varying outdoor events year-round.

Agreed. While I know the auto industry as a whole is turbulent to say the least....I'm doing fairly well with it as of late. And I always hear people say there's nothing to do in Toledo besides go out to bars or whatever. I never understand that. That just sounds like what those particular people do and that they have a limited scope of what there is to do or a lack of very many personal interests. Like what are you going to do that's so different if you move to some other city or state? Those people seem like the types of people that run away from things and seek fulfillment from new places and experiences when at the crux of the matter....they're actually the humdrum blah person....and they stay that person no matter where they move....and just wind up sitting in a bar in some coastal area or big city wherever but nothing fundamentally changes. I for one....don't have enough time to do all the things that I would like to in and around Toledo. So many newer restaurants and bars I haven't checked out. Festivals I'd like to attend. Artists and musicians I'd like to see. Groups and community activities I'd love to be involved in if I had more time. Maybe it's just me...but I think it's usually not the places that lack character or life....but the individual complaining about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo