Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,182 times

Advertisements

I just ran across this thread and I know it's old, but I'm hoping to hear from those still interested in the topic.

As a 3-year resident of Birckhead Place and life-long resident of Toledo, I can say that most of what has been said on this forum about Birckhead is accurate. It's kind of bizarre, but this is still a very pleasant, safe and almost freakishly quiet neighborhood; amazing given it's location, with most of the noise coming from streets that border the community.

That said, the Board is ineffectual. It's members are well intentioned, but they have absolutely no idea what they're doing. I even served on this body briefly but resigned in frustration, and am considering moving. It's such a shame that this once beautiful and special neighborhood is slowly being taken over by people who don't know or care about it's unique history (among other things, it's Ohio's first gated community) or it's lovely houses; each one so different.

What Birckhead desperately needs is for people who care about historic preservation and about restoring and maintaining this community's unique nature, to buy a house here and to become active members of the Board; not people who want a big relatively inexpensive house that they can't (or won't) maintain and that they may rent out (which the bylaws prohibit, but which the Board has been very lax about enforcing!)

If you're relocating to the Toledo area (especially if you're a health care professional, with 3 major medical centers close by, or a symphony musician looking for an excellent orchestra) and you're passionate about historic neighborhoods, PLEASE consider Birckhead Place; we need you! If you're interested, ask me about Toledo too. Despite the negative press (some deserved), there are many hidden jewels here as well; like Birckhead Place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 AM

227 posts, read 626,339 times
Birckhead Place is charming... I love historic homes so it is kinda disappointing to see that many historic homes had been torn down and replaced with 50s homes... thought there are still many stunning properties there. Anyone that is looking in places like the Old West End would find it worthwhile to at least drive around Birckhead, just to see how it compares.

Blockhead Place is surrounded by a traditionally blighted (though now more transitional) areas, but I have yet to hear of any crime within the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
View detailed profiles of: