Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 11,818 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am currently a senior at Ohio State and will be attending UT Law this coming fall. I don't know anyone from this area and will be living there on my own, at least for the first year. I would like any advice you have about where a quality neighborhood would be to live. I am looking for a one bedroom apartment where I would feel safe (and my parents would feel safe leaving me there). Preferably, I'd like to live a little bit off campus, away from the undergrads, as the party scene is not really something I'm interested in. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 12:15 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,863,541 times
Anything north or west of campus that you find should be in a decent area.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:08 PM

652 posts, read 2,711,718 times
I am a third year law student graduating in May. I have found living in Toledo less than stellar. My first year I wanted to live near campus in a college-like neighborhood in walking distance to bars/coffee shops/amenities - I chose Campus Village and it was miserable; the apartments were poorly built, you could hear everything around, the tenants were disrespectful, had loud car stereos and loud parties. I then moved to the suburbs thinking it would be better. It turned out to be a very boring and stressful year having to deal with rush hour traffic, bad roads, and not near anything for younger people. My last year (currently) I live about 2 miles west of campus - it's a lot like Campus Village from my first year but with slightly more respectful tenants. The apartments are still poorly constructed with noises coming from all directions, very little insulation and extremely high utility bills.

If I had to do it all over I would have lived in one of the loft conversions downtown from the start like the Commodore Perry or LaSalle. They aren't too expensive, are in walking distance to the stadium and ice arena, good bars and entertainment, have INDOOR parking garages (no snow and ice), much safer than the campus area, and are near all of the court houses and many attorney's offices, dry cleaners and other professional services. It would have been particularly helpful for me this year since I work downtown in the mornings.

Congratulations on going to law school - it is a very rewarding experience and I have found the professors at UT to be very helpful and generally nice people, I think my experience in Toledo would have been better had I chose to live in a better place from the beginning so you can learn from my mistakes.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Anything north or west of campus that you find should be in a decent area.
Northwest is the suburb Sylvania. It is generally a safe and clean area but more geared for families living in McMansions. Also, the traffic going from Sylvania to UT would be pretty bad during rush hour and it's pretty expensive to live there.

I have a friend who lives in Sylvania and she likes it but she is also married with a child and fairly well off.

Since you said you just graduated from OSU, I'm assuming you're a traditional student and don't want to live in a family oriented 'burb.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:57 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,660,828 times
Hey, congratulations and good luck. You have a great future.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:42 PM

No word from the original poster?

Old 04-12-2009, 06:49 AM

3 posts, read 11,818 times
Default Reply to all

Hi everyone, I'm sorry that I have not replied to the messages. The last two weeks have been crazy because spring quarter just started. Work and school nonstop for the last two weeks. I really appreciate all of your help. nickw252, I appreciate your help. Actually, those lofts sound interesting and something that I would really like. Do you know of any links or anything I could use? Again, thank you all.

Happy Easter!

Old 04-12-2009, 01:19 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,426 times
I would second Nick's suggestion of the La Salle apartments downtown. They are a little more expensive than the typical apartment in Toledo, but they are by no means outrageous. I looked at living in them and I think the two bedroom apartments ran $800-900/month. They are really nice, and the rooftop garden (probably around 12 floors up or so) gives GREAT views of the city.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:23 PM

12 posts, read 47,728 times
I went to MSU undergrad, East Lansing has a cute strip of shopping, dining, eating, bars, it's no chicago or NY but it was fun. I since have worked for a few years living in royal oak, mi (also cutesy, fun place to live) and am making decisions about what law school to attend this fall.

I went to toledo today to check it out. It's lucrative because the tuition is reasonable. I was horrified by what the living options are and ended up crying my eyes out at the thought of being stuck there. There is no cute strip of coffee shops, botiques, dinning to go to, and definitely nothing within walking distance. Near campus I saw some cheap student housing with a lot of fast food places, great. The nicer housing options near campus looked like residential suburban living with absolutely nothing to do and nowhere to go. I like to go out and do things! If I was married with children, then this would be a better place. (even then I don't know)

I checked out downtown, not even close to as terrifying as Detroit but it's also no gem. As a female I would not feel safe walking my dog around town. Last year I checked out the waterfront area downtown, that's nice in the summer, but not really somewhere I see myself going as a law student...

If I am wrong, correct me please! (I'd love to save on tuition by going to UT)!!

I am thinking worse case scenario I will live in Ann Arbor, MI and drive 40 some minutes to Toledo for class.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:29 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,531,626 times
Here's one that gives info and reviews: Toledo Apartments for Rent - Toledo Apartments Reviews and Ratings

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo