Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 06:27 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Please stop "Mansplaining"

I was referring to Tornado warnings. We had them every single Wednesday for the entirety of the summer I was in Michigan. For the entire state. I remember because I thought it was so crazy.
It's not mansplaining, but if it makes you feel better try this graph posted by me, a woman-> https://data.lansingstatejournal.com/tornado-archive/

A tornado watch is possible tornados, the conditions are right. Tornado warnings are for already formed and spotted tornados.
Warnings for the entire state wouldn't even be possible unless there is some sort of freak massive outbreak and certainly not repeatedly every Wednesday. Tornados don't come on a schedule. However testing of the warning systems do, which IMO it sounds like that is what you experienced.

But again you can check my link, all this stuff is easy to look up and verify. The NOAA keeps pretty good records for the entire country.

Quote:
What I find terrible is so many people are moving to TN and TN actually is due for a major earthquake as well... and then to have twisters? I just wish people would be told the truth.
Memphis isn't the entire state, the state is 700 miles long, there is quite a bit of difference from one area to another. People looking to move need to do thorough and ACCURATE research, especially if they have fears regarding specific events. Relying on here say and stereotypes isn't smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 06:33 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's not mansplaining, but if it makes you feel better try this graph posted by me, a woman-> https://data.lansingstatejournal.com/tornado-archive/

A tornado watch is possible tornados, the conditions are right. Tornado warnings are for already formed and spotted tornados.
You don't know what you are talking about.

Not to mention that you continue to duck the question. Which isn't... do actual tornados touch down. It is what is your life like under constant yammering threat of attack weekly.

It is downright criminal how people from the midwest try to mislead people.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:44 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
You don't know what you are talking about.

Not to mention that you continue to duck the question. Which isn't... do actual tornados touch down. It is what is your life like under constant yammering threat of attack weekly.

It is downright criminal how people from the midwest try to mislead people.
I think your argument is with the NOAA, good luck.

(and yes the question is how often do they touch down, because THAT is the threat, not the weekly testing of the sirens)

I don't want to make another post but there is NO constant threat, read the GRAPH (facts, not feelings).
Quote:
No it isn't... the threat is how your life is impacted by the constant threat... where as in Boston the threat of a blizzard is like 6 times a year, at most, with 3 actual blizzards happening.

Last edited by DubbleT; 02-21-2022 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: rebuttal

Old 02-21-2022, 06:47 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think your argument is with the NOAA, good luck.

(and yes the question is how often do they touch down, because THAT is the threat, not the weekly testing of the sirens)
No it isn't... the threat is how your life is impacted by the constant threat... where as in Boston the threat of a blizzard is like 6 times a year, at most, with 3 actual blizzards happening.

Old 02-21-2022, 06:58 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,854,799 times
“A powerful storm system roared across the southeastern United States on
Wednesday, April 27, 2011. This storm system spawned 39 tornadoes in the Huntsville
forecast area and a total of 62 tornadoes which impacted locations in the state of
Alabama. [...] In the wake of this system, hundreds of people were left injured and/or homeless, along
with approximately 100 people who lost their lives in the northern Alabama area alone.
Across the state of Alabama, 272 people lost their lives and at least 1969 (almost 2,000
people!) were injured. Some of the devastation was literally unimaginable with
countless homes, neighborhoods and even portions of cities or towns either partially or
completely destroyed."

Hope you weren't planning to move to Alabama

Old 02-21-2022, 08:27 AM

266 posts, read 236,097 times
Wow 2000 injured

I will say about blizzards that they make driving very dangerous. I was once on highway in snow and driving super slow and careful at 35 mph but my car still spun out of control and I could have died

But when snow happens we can stay home

If you stay home and a half mile wide f3 zig zags thru your town at 3 am and plows over your house what good is that

Old 02-21-2022, 08:39 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,854,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
Wow 2000 injured

I will say about blizzards that they make driving very dangerous. I was once on highway in snow and driving super slow and careful at 35 mph but my car still spun out of control and I could have died

But when snow happens we can stay home

If you stay home and a half mile wide f3 zig zags thru your town at 3 am and plows over your house what good is that
I think the fear factor is based on the lack of control over the situation. For example I know for a fact that many people are killed every year by the trains that come through town here. The brightline in Florida kills a dozen or so per year, which is more than die to lightning in the state, despite being the lightning capital of the country. However I feel no fear about the train, because I feel like I'm in control by being careful driving across the tracks.

Not sure this is entirely rational, since brakes could always give, could snag a bumper on something stuck in the tracks going across, could get rearended by a drunk driver and pushed into the tracks, I guess anything could technically happen. Plus we can control lightning risk somewhat, but then comes into question what is a reasonable safety precaution and what is neutoric, especially when lightning is extremely common and just a part of life.

I guess for tornados, or for lightning, you could move to a high rise. They seem like the safest place to be for both. Not sure about quakes.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:39 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
I may live in a bubble, but this doesn't pass the smell test to me. First, maybe you lived on the east side of MI, but the west side is pretty insulated from tornadoes because of Lake MI. Second, Michigan doesn't usually get the severe tornadoes seen in the plains and in the south. And I've never been in a house that doesn't have a basement. I assume most of the upper midwest has basements too.
Southeast Michigan is highly prone to tornadoes just like Indiana and Ohio are. Your right that much of Michigan is protected by the lakes but East/southeast Michigan is very much part of the tornado region.

Old 02-21-2022, 08:48 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
I think the OP is not putting the tornado threat into perspective. Yes we get Tornadoes in Tennessee....really bad ones that made national news a year or two ago. The entirety of the South and most of the Midwest receive them. I have lived all my 5 decades in places that get tornadoes. Tornado warnings have always been part of my life. I have seen the aftermath of tornado destruction. I have never had my own property damaged by twisters nor have I known anyone who has. There are 6 million residents of Tennessee. If tornadoes were to damage a 100 houses a year that is a tiny and statistically insignificant number of people affected each year. Tornadoes are incredibly destructive of you are very unlucky and end up being affected by one. Most residents of the tornado states never see one in their life, they only hear of their aftermath.

Coastal regions however face a vast threat from hurricanes which can be hundreds of miles wide. These monster storms cause mass destruction of whole cities and even regions. Being 300 miles from blue water I feel
Relatively safe. The OP living in Boston is far more likely to face hurricane damage than I am to face tornado damage.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:04 AM

266 posts, read 236,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I think the fear factor is based on the lack of control over the situation. For example I know for a fact that many people are killed every year by the trains that come through town here. The brightline in Florida kills a dozen or so per year, which is more than die to lightning in the state, despite being the lightning capital of the country. However I feel no fear about the train, because I feel like I'm in control by being careful driving across the tracks.

Not sure this is entirely rational, since brakes could always give, could snag a bumper on something stuck in the tracks going across, could get rearended by a drunk driver and pushed into the tracks, I guess anything could technically happen. Plus we can control lightning risk somewhat, but then comes into question what is a reasonable safety precaution and what is neutoric, especially when lightning is extremely common and just a part of life.

I guess for tornados, or for lightning, you could move to a high rise. They seem like the safest place to be for both. Not sure about quakes.
Trains kill that many people? I figured trains kill like zero people a year. That is surprising to me if they kill more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes