Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,618 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I have relocated to Toronto at the beginning of July. I was working in Quebec at the University, as a Java developer, for 5 years in the research and development department. I decided to take a new start by moving to Toronto.

I have been approached by some recruitment firms Robert Half, Keen Technology, Maxim Group. No headhunter has been able to get me an interview yet. All they do is call to see if I've found a job and if I went to some job interviews(expecting me to give them company names).

I had 2 job interviews which didn't work.

First physical interview : Small company
The position was "Java developer". After phone interviews, quick talk about salary expectations and the usual, I went on-site and did some pair programming(unit testing only) on a medium size project. We solved few bugs. At the end, we talked about their company, their compensations(healt insurance, etc., no salary). They called me later to tell me that they didn't think I would be a fit for the position eventhough I didn't do bad at the interview. I don't know if it was about my salary expectations or my Master degree in IT.

The second interview (Medium size company) 9 developers
It was about a Senior Java Developer position. After a phone interview, I was sheduled for a pair programming interview. I was doing some pair programming on some basic Java topics with an intermediate developer I think.

My general attitude during the interview[LIST][*]I was explaining the problem before attempting to solve it[*]I was sharing the keyboard,[*]I was clearing my throat[*]talking about what I was going to do before writing code[*]I was looking at him in the eyes while talking or listening to him[/LIST]
I solved all of the questions with elegant solutions and at a moment he told me that time was up. He said he was to talk with his boss and that the boss would meet me in few minutes. I didn't solve all the problems at an incredible speed but I was satisfied with the pair programming session(interaction with the developer, my results, etc.).
The boss came in and told me "There's been a change, I think we're done for today". No explanation, and no phone call later... I don't think I did wrong at all as I didn't miss any exercises.

I am starting to run out of time/money and I am not able to get many interviews. Is it difficult for me to get a job because of the summer? Lots of jobs ask for a Java Entreprise Edition experience which I don't have. Most small/medium companies don't use J2EE(EJB, JMS, etc.) and I have never worked for a big company.

What should I do? I am looking at job offers on Monster, Craigslist and canada.indeed.com.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,485 times
Default Hello

I was just searching for some Java jobs as well came across your posting. I signed up just to give you this comment so I will not see a response but feel free to email me at xxtremeProgrammer at gmail (in the proper format of course just because i don't want any scripts grabbing my email addy. Anyway have a look at this site here to learn J2EE it's a really good course i'm going through right now. Here is the link:

[url=http://www.javapassion.com/j2ee/#Introduction]Free Java EE (J2EE) Training & Tutorials Online Course by Sang Shin[/url]
[url=http://www.javapassion.com/]javapassion.com root page[/url]

It's a really good course and if you pass me your email I can send you an MVC J2EE beginner example. Sorry I couldn't really answer your question but that should help you learn J2EE.. Hope your search goes well!! Take care and good luck!!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:53 PM

33 posts, read 207,788 times
Hi birdman,

As I get from your post it looks like whoever is getting in touch regarding the job may be considering you as a fresher (i.e not having any industrial experience(s)), Though I am not aware about your salary expectations but my suggestion to you would be try to lower the figure in the initial stage. It is a very short time to predict anything, hang on .. it takes time.

Regards,
Deb

Old 02-21-2009, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,305 times
HI Guyz,

I Recently moved to Toronto and iam looking for job on JAVA. But i have no idea about market here like what technologies(JSF,struts,springs,hibernate,Ejb..) are mostly using here and how can i prepare my resume like what experience( US Experience/Canada exp) i have to put.

my e-mail id is ksridevi24@yahoo.co.in.

If anyone can help me that should be great....

advanced thanks

Old 02-23-2009, 12:49 AM

163 posts, read 628,643 times
american express technologies is always looking for contractors. if you are interested, please send me a private message, and we can discuss next steps.

btw, i am not a recruiter. i just work there. the corporate head office is in markham.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,150 times
I too am considering relocating to Canada. As a visitor to Montreal and Toronto on numerous trips, I fell in love with the people and the entirely of Canada. Toronto is my reasonable choice of relocating, as I do not speak French and could not transistion in Montreal smoothly.

I am familiar with the Universities but how are the schools in Toronto; my child is 15yrs. She adapts very with little motivation. We will need an active schedule...she speaks English, Chinese, and Spanish.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,309 times
I hope you found what you weere looking for. If youshare you experiences, it would help us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto