Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:51 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times

Advertisements

I'm currently finishing up a master's degree here in the States, and I'm applying to do my Ph.D. at York University and the University of Toronto (I'm also applying to several other Canadian Ph.D. programs). Although I'm originally from Michigan, I'm focusing on Canadian universities for two reasons -- the methodology I specialize in is much more prevalent in Canada and Europe than in the US, and I want to obtain permanent residency and eventually Canadian citizenship. After finishing my Ph.D., my goal is to become a professor at a college or university, preferably somewhere in Canada.

York (my top program choice) and U of T are both in Toronto, but I do NOT enjoy city life at all, so I wouldn't enjoy living in Toronto or its suburbs. Are there any small towns or small cities within a reasonable (max. 110 kilometres) commuting distance to York and/or UToronto? Looking on the map, places like Hamilton, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, and Barrie seem to be somewhat close. How are these towns in terms of safety, walkability, rental/home prices, overall cost of living, and arts/culture? I'm single right now, with no kids yet, so schools aren't a huge concern at the moment. I'd prefer a university town (I've always lived in university towns), but pretty much any small city will do.

I've never been to Ontario (except Windsor, which doesn't really count ), so I'm not too familiar with the GTA. Factoring in traffic, gas prices, snow, etc., would it be reasonable to commute from any of these towns, or am I better off just biting the bullet and living in the 'burbs (assuming York and/or U of T accepts me, of course)?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by northstar22; 01-28-2012 at 11:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 12:23 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,387 times
Try one of the former boroughs.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
Try one of the former boroughs.
Sorry to be clueless, but what do you mean by "one of the former boroughs?" Are these like neighborhoods in Toronto, suburbs, or surrounding towns?

Just to clear things up, I don't want to live in an urban area. I'm looking for either small town/city or suburban, with a preference for a small town or city. I'm not looking for inner-city neighborhoods in TO.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:22 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,493 times
Most phd want to live as close to campus as possible. I don't know what your program is, but with all the time your going to spend doing research, studying, taking classes, and teaching, trust me you don't want to add the stress of commuting 1.5hours+ everyday.

Also, how small is small for you? Hamilton for example is not that small. If your willing to live in Hamilton, you might as well live in Toronto (outside the downtown core). The former boroughs are former suburbs of Toronto that are now a part he city limits, like North York (where York University is ), Etobicoke, East York and Scarborough.

I don't know if you alright done this, but check the University of Guelph, University of Waterloo and McMaster university (Hamilton) if they have your program.

If you really don't want to live in Toronto, I'll choose Hamilton. Rent is cheaper than Toronto (the cost of everything else is about the same though) and you can commute to Toronto easily by public transit. The Go bus runs every 30 mins (express) from Hamilton to downtown Toronto, and there is also a bus that runs frequently from Hamilton (McMaster) to York University.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:13 AM

377 posts, read 1,695,749 times
Toronto is simply much too large of a metro area to make commuting from any of the surrounding small cities tolerable. Although you may not enjoy city life, the determent to your quality of life with a large commute may offset any gain you'll get from living in a small city - especially if you go with U of T. From York, commutes to places like Barrie, Caledon etc, may be somewhat reasonable.

As somebody else mentioned, you may want to consider the universities in any of the cities you mentioned. Can't comment on your program specifically, but many (McMaster, Waterloo) are all fine schools.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:45 PM

5,898 posts, read 6,102,230 times
How do you differentiate between small cities and big cities or suburbs? Or why do you prefer small cities?

Old 01-30-2012, 06:51 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,357 times
You should visit Toronto. It truly is a collection of small communities. I've had people tell me that they find parts of Toronto more small-town like than they could have imagined it being (big leafy trees, small streets, quiet, etc). With GTA traffic (the worst in north america) keep in mind that 110K in distance might equal a 2.5 hour ONE-way commute in real time, unless you can travel significantly off-hours frequently (ie 11am - 2:30pm, or 8pm - 6am kind of windows).

Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 AM

61 posts, read 194,813 times
Yeah you are going to spend a fortune commuting as well as the time. I would invest the money in living in High Park in Toronto. As another poster said, Toronto is a collection of communities.

That said, Guelph is a small town that is nice.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:20 AM

Are there at least any decent suburbs in the GTA? Brampton? Mississauga? Kanata?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Are there at least any decent suburbs in the GTA? Brampton? Mississauga? Kanata? [Emphasis added.]
Kanata is a suburb of Ottawa, bub.

Last edited by maclock; 01-30-2012 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto