Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 22,074 times

Advertisements

I am a single Black female Ph.D. graduate who has moved to Toronto to assume a teaching position. While walking downtown in Toronto, I only see interracial couples (mostly Black males and White females). When I see black women they are alone, in small groups with other black women, or are pushing a baby stroller (alone). Do Black women in Toronto get dates at all?

Old 11-25-2012, 04:09 AM

120 posts, read 496,240 times
When I used to live in Toronto with my current girl friend I noticed this too. However Im a skinny white boy and I met my current sexy black girlfriend in Toronto. Walking around even in Toronto we got dirty looks, mostly from black guys but we just laughed it off. I think the reason why you might see more black women alone than with a white guy is because for the most part white men think black women are not interested in them and only like black guys. That is not always the case and it is slowly becoming more common to see a white guy with a black girl these days.

I met my girl friend at a mall however for you I would either recommend on line dating, that way you know who is interested in you easier or just go to a bar and have a smile on and guys will approach you without feeling like you are not interested in them.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,469 times
As you can see, Toronto has people from all over the world and there are many interracial couples of all sorts. But yes, there is a lot of black male - white female & white male - asian female. But despite being such a multicultural society, people still hold stereotypes of each other. And many hold a stereotypical view of the black female as someone who prefers black men, is a single mom, or is loud & aggressive. I've worked with some well educated black women who have had to battle the initial assumptions people will make about them, both socially and even in the workforce. One problem is that Canada does not have a black middle-class like the US, so unfortunately, many remain lower on the socio-economic ladder and this feeds stereotypes.

You are obviously an intelligent woman so once people get to know you, people will realize what a great catch you are. I would present yourself as young professional, proactively hang out in places/join clubs where you can meet like-minded people, and just be yourself. I don't believe most people are racially against dating a black woman but they just need an opportunity to get to know you and you need to seek out these opportunities. It will eventually work out.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:13 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
This is this social stigma regarding black women and Asian men.
You see black male date women of other races, and Asian women dating men of other races all the time, but seldom black women dating men of other races, or Asian men dating women of other races. It does happen but much less frequent.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,686 times
I'm white guy in Toronto and my girlfriend is black. Her previous boyfriend before me was a Korean guy.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 PM

9 posts, read 50,640 times
i'm a black profession and i've had no trouble having guys of all different races hit on me. i've dated guys of every race and don't really see there being a stereotype in toronto (honestly). depends on where you are livin in the city (downtown vs. east end vs west end, ect), there are a lot of white/fillipino guys who would drop to the ground to date some black girls (but truth be told, some of these boys look as the ghetto type, probably looking for thier ghetto girl.. and i mean this in the sense that they'd date an asian or white ghetto girl..but would love to have a black girl as thier prize/arm candy).. sorry if that comes off rude/racist or any other manner.. i am 100% not racist so take that with a grain of salt.

to ask if black women get dates at all is a pretty rediculous question. don't stand on the street with your face all screwed up and kissing your teeth and i'm sure guys will approach you. i've had random strangers (men, women, old, young, various races) come up to me to tell me that i have a great beautiful smile.

walk around with a noticebly happy demeanour and i'm sure people will come up to you..

Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 AM

33 posts, read 70,121 times
if you only see interracial couples downtown then you must be walking in circles

yes black women do get dates

this question was stupid and your perceptions/observations are skewed ......doctor

Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 PM

27 posts, read 58,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoniaT View Post
I am a single Black female Ph.D. graduate who has moved to Toronto to assume a teaching position. While walking downtown in Toronto, I only see interracial couples (mostly Black males and White females). When I see black women they are alone, in small groups with other black women, or are pushing a baby stroller (alone). Do Black women in Toronto get dates at all?
Where did you move from?

Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,815,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoniaT View Post
You have the wrong impression. Down town Toronto...and you are probably talking about the Yonge Street strip that peaks at the Dundas Square by the Eaton Center. The couples you see are not representational of Toronto or the urban dating scene. The black males you see are those from the west and east ends of the city..what most of us consider the projects. These black men are not the cream of black society..They shack up with young white welfare mothers..thinking it is a step up from black girls in the projects. They are not from down town - they are there because it is a hang out area for the poor and for criminals.

There are other parts of the city that is more in keeping with the real social and romantic spirit of the city. Check out the neighborhoods a mile or so east and west of main street. It's a more sophisticated culture..Take a street car ride over to Riverside...Broadview and Queen Street...then slowly stroll to the east in the gentrified hood...you will get a better feel- The cool Torontonians do not hang out down town...Unless it is the business crowd on Bay Street...Good luck-If I see you in Riverside- You can buy me a coffee.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:24 AM

1 posts, read 21,290 times
I am in the same boat, moved from the states black professional woman....white men look but thats about it. I've never been one to surround myself with lots of other black women or women in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.