Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 03:15 AM

23 posts, read 25,734 times

Advertisements

The Toronto area has seen its unemployment rate jump from 7.8 per cent last summer to 8.4 per cent in December. It might helps to take your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 05:40 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
The Alberta oil and gas fields are cutting back on employment, due to the low price for crude oil, world wide. Some oil drilling locations have been shut down, until the crude oil price moves up.

Toronto, as the largest city in Canada has jobs. The problem is that YOU have to have superior education and actual working experience, to get the good ones. Recent University grads with little or no actual working experience in their field, are going to have problems being hired, as all ways.

For the woman from Spain.....your husband will NEED to speak English to be employable in Toronto, as that is the language of business here. Unlike the USA, Canada has few Spanish speakers.

For the person who commented on all the expensive homes along the highway from Niagara Falls to Toronto. That part of Ontario has a very high average annual income, compared to the east coast cities that you mentioned. It has been a long standing tradition for young people to leave the Maritimes, to come to Ontario, or the western Provinces, to make a living. About a third of all the people in Canada live within a 200 mile radius of Toronto. The population of Ontario and Quebec combined is about 60 percent of the national total of 35 million people. That explains some of the concentration of employment and commerce in southern Ontario.

Toronto has the head offices of all the Canadian major banks, plus the corporate offices of about 60 percent of all the major corporations that do business in Canada. Add to that the Provincial Government ministries, and the Federal Government's local offices, and you have a huge concentration of high paying white collar jobs here. Add to that the City of Toronto's work force, at about 90,000 people, including Fire Police, EMS, transit, public works, water and sewage, parks and rec, roads, and hydro, and that alone represents a huge employment market. The add the private retail sector, hotels, food service, and transportation, and you have more employment possibilities.

It all comes down to the same basic question. What skills and education do YOU have to offer a employer ?

Jim B.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:23 PM

23 posts, read 33,627 times
You can also make a lot of money in the trades in Toronto.

Plenty of millionaires who become rich off service businesses.

I see too many young guys getting useless degrees in social science in University, when they could make far more working in the trades.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:48 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSH View Post
You can also make a lot of money in the trades in Toronto.

Plenty of millionaires who become rich off service businesses.

I see too many young guys getting useless degrees in social science in University, when they could make far more working in the trades.
Social science degree here, with high paying job out of uni, so maybe not so useless afterall

Old 07-10-2015, 11:36 PM

659 posts, read 899,336 times
Masters degree, 16+ years experience in field, job hunting since August 2014.

Nothing. Moving here helped me get interviews. Lots of them. But still no job. Living off savings, temping, renting guest room to get by

Old 07-10-2015, 11:37 PM

659 posts, read 899,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Social science degree here, with high paying job out of uni, so maybe not so useless afterall
Seriously, you need to get me some leads or something!

Old 07-13-2015, 08:08 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I keep hearing Toronto has a great job market in Canada and then I hear Toronto is not at a good place economically. Really how hard is it to get a job in Toronto? Especially compared to other cities in Canada? I know Calgary is probably the best city for jobs but I'm not quite sure where Toronto lies as I hear different opinions from everywhere.
Not good. Even if you get a job, taxes and the cost of living are so obscenely high it's almost impossible to live anything but a very basic life.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
Not good. Even if you get a job, taxes and the cost of living are so obscenely high it's almost impossible to live anything but a very basic life.
Depends on the job.. If its a low skilled, low paying job sure.. Otherwise if you are skilled and can make good money(like anywhere practically) things are fine. Rent is pretty affordable in Toronto (at least for me) as are day to day costs. I'm doing more than alright here and travel 2-3 times per year overseas. Than again I went to College for 3 years and had realistic expectations at the start of my career. Got an entry level job, worked my butt off and moved up!! Like any place, individual results may vary.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:23 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Depends on the job.. If its a low skilled, low paying job sure.. Otherwise if you are skilled and can make good money(like anywhere practically) things are fine. Rent is pretty affordable in Toronto (at least for me) as are day to day costs. I'm doing more than alright here and travel 2-3 times per year overseas. Than again I went to College for 3 years and had realistic expectations at the start of my career. Got an entry level job, worked my butt off and moved up!! Like any place, individual results may vary.
Well you sound like you're doing very well for yourself - congratulations. I envy that. I don't know very many people (any?) who aren't either just barely scraping by or working so hard they're driving themselves into the ground.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
Well you sound like you're doing very well for yourself - congratulations. I envy that. I don't know very many people (any?) who aren't either just barely scraping by or working so hard they're driving themselves into the ground.
Really - I suppose if you live beyond your means than yes.. Sure if I paid a mortgage on a 1 million dollar home or driving a top of the line Mercedes, i'd probably be just scraping by too..

My partner and I rent a two bedroom 1000 sq ft apartment for 1250 bucks per month. This is not hard for us to carry at all.. Leaving plenty left over for living expenses. I know some people scraping by but I know plenty who are doing well.. The one's doing well usually have some sort of industry demand skill/education and they have patience and stick with their job, work hard and move up the ladder. If I was scraping by on a crap job - i'd simply look to industries that are in demand and invest in training for the skills required to make myself more marketable to those well paying jobs. They're out there but it does take some work. This is the case with most places - at least Toronto has a large and diverse economy - there are many places that are really feeling the hit because one industry is in decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto