Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto's outer boroughs
Etobicoke 6 27.27%
North York 11 50.00%
Scarborough 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 01:46 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Yeah, it's weird. I like Scarborough, but I wouldn't put it first. I guess everyone else feels the same.
I don't like anything about Scarborough except for the Chinese food.
There is really nothing else that will ever draw me there. Driving in Scarborough is depressing and I just wish it were part of Pickering or Markham instead of Toronto.

I went to the Bluff and was extremely underwhelmed. Toronto will probably be better off with Scarborough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 03:27 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't like anything about Scarborough except for the Chinese food.
There is really nothing else that will ever draw me there. Driving in Scarborough is depressing and I just wish it were part of Pickering or Markham instead of Toronto.

I went to the Bluff and was extremely underwhelmed. Toronto will probably be better off with Scarborough.
I'm not that familiar with Scarborugh north of the 401, but Scarborough south of the 401 does have some nice areas, and is quite urban for a suburb. It also has the best South Indian food in town. There are some neighbourhoods near the Bluffs that are beautiful. I don't think anyone ever said the Bluffs were anything spectacular, but there are some parts that make for a nice place to watch the sunrise or walk on the shoreline. The area around Cliffside in particular has a great section of Bluffs. I first discovered the area when I was working in the film industry. They used to do a lot of shoots in the area.

I don't find Scarborough particularly depressing, but what I like about it is that it definitely has its own distinct vibe which is very different from the Old City and the other 'boroughs'. I think you're being pretty hard on it, but you're pretty hard on just about everything and everyone so at least you're consistent

Old 08-04-2013, 10:02 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:

I don't find Scarborough particularly depressing, but what I like about it is that it definitely has its own distinct vibe which is very different from the Old City and the other 'boroughs'.
Bland street, cookie-cutter houses, gritty neighbourhood.

I simply don't see the character or uniqueness you talked about. Of course it is different from the old city, which is actually an interesting vibrant city. Scarborough honestly can be put anywhere in Saskatchewan or Texas and no one can tell where it is. It is just one of those nondescript suburbs where people live in their nondescript houses and drive their cars every day to suburban malls with huge parking lots.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:43 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,130 times
Quote:
I don't find Scarborough particularly depressing, but what I like about it is that it definitely has its own distinct vibe which is very different from the Old City and the other 'boroughs'. I think you're being pretty hard on it, but you're pretty hard on just about everything and everyone so at least you're consistent
What "distinct vibe" would that be? A poorer version of Etobicoke?

Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
What "distinct vibe" would that be? A poorer version of Etobicoke?
It's not something I can explain. It just feels different than other parts of Toronto. Certainly working class. Quite urban in many parts. It's hard to explain. But Scarborough definitely has its own vibe for me - actually stronger than North York's, which feels different in different areas. Scarborough pretty much all feels like Scarborough. Same with Etobicoke and OT, East York.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:02 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,970 times
Scarborough and Etobicoke definitely have their own vibes/feel different.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:47 PM

I agree...Etobicoke and Scarborough are mostly postwar suburbia and are quite different from most of the Old City of Toronto.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 PM

Last minute surge for Scarberia?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,970 times
Maybe lol.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:27 PM

Well, after 10 days North York seems to be the winner by 3 votes. The survey results are depressing to me because it shows how few CD posters know or care enough about Toronto to even take part in this simple survey. Sometimes I think it might be better for me to put my time and effort into an account at a Toronto or Canada-based forum and leave CD.

1.5 votes a day for 10 days. Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto