Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 06:39 AM

31 posts, read 92,381 times

Advertisements

I went on Craigslist and saw that there was a "Ride and Share" section of the infamous craigslist. I noticed that people were offering out of town rides for a small fee to places like Montreal, Ottawa, and some U.S states. I noticed even one guy had the Chuzpah to offer free rides to women in the gta as long as they gave him head...

Personally I would never get into a car with a stranger in case he or she is a psycho-maniac. Have any of you ever done a ride and share with someone you didn't know ? Why do people still seem to take risks in spite of things we hear on the news such as the Millard Kijiji case?? (And yes I know people he's innocent until proven guilty) .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:12 AM

127 posts, read 269,205 times
1-usually questions like that end up always with answers full of ignorant statements against other ethnic groups because you are already assuming that one group of people is more naive than others .
2-yes i ride shared a couple of times with a guy who owned a van and did a daily MTL-TOR back in 2007 it cost me 40$ at that time and it was great since he had a stop in Mississauga which was my destination. in our days it's a non sense with Mega-Bus prices.

you always have to be careful and always avoid traps but it has nothing to do with being a Canadian or no.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 AM

277 posts, read 786,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzz View Post
1-usually questions like that end up always with answers full of ignorant statements against other ethnic groups because you are already assuming that one group of people is more naive than others .
2-yes i ride shared a couple of times with a guy who owned a van and did a daily MTL-TOR back in 2007 it cost me 40$ at that time and it was great since he had a stop in Mississauga which was my destination. in our days it's a non sense with Mega-Bus prices.

you always have to be careful and always avoid traps but it has nothing to do with being a Canadian or no.
When I lived in Montreal, I think I used the same guy. $40 each way, Mercedes van.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
I did it several times. For example, round trip to Montreal for $60 door to door.
I also took a ride from Vancouver to Seattle for $30 a few years ago.

Additionally, I usually find a driver to take me to YYZ (or back from YYZ) everytime I need to go and cost is $30 per person, or $40/45 for two. Takes less than 30 minutes, compared with 1+ hour by ttc or $60 by taxi.

I don't know why people are so scared of being killed or something. Yes, it could happen, but so could a piano fall from a building and land on your head.

Some people without jobs need to make some money, and I need to save money yet get the convinience. I see absolutely nothing wrong with such arrangement (if someone judges). It actually does good to the economy.

In an expensive country like Canada where even public transit is expensive, you just have to be creative to save money.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:26 PM

127 posts, read 269,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I did it several times. For example, round trip to Montreal for $60 door to door.
I also took a ride from Vancouver to Seattle for $30 a few years ago.

Additionally, I usually find a driver to take me to YYZ (or back from YYZ) everytime I need to go and cost is $30 per person, or $40/45 for two. Takes less than 30 minutes, compared with 1+ hour by ttc or $60 by taxi.

I don't know why people are so scared of being killed or something. Yes, it could happen, but so could a piano fall from a building and land on your head.

Some people without jobs need to make some money, and I need to save money yet get the convinience. I see absolutely nothing wrong with such arrangement (if someone judges). It actually does good to the economy.

In an expensive country like Canada where even public transit is expensive, you just have to be creative to save money.
it happened just Yesterday in the heart of Downtown

Teacher killed by falling metal at Montreal construction site - Ottawa - CBC News

Old 08-06-2013, 04:37 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzz View Post

Old 08-06-2013, 10:56 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times
It's all about being cautious, using your judgment, and not taking a ride from someone with whom you feel uncomfortable. It's also important to let people know where you're going, have them phone you periodically during the day to check-in, and if things get uncomfortable, get the hell out.

I personally haven't used this service, though I would definitely consider it. If I were a female, I would certainly not go with a guy who wanted to be paid pay in BJ's. That's just common sense, although at least he was up front about it. Better that than to be notified about the form of payment when the ride is over. "Umm, er, gee, I'd really like to do that for you, but my last bout of oral lesions hasn't fully cleared up, and I wouldn't want to pass the old herp' on to you. But I can give you money to go get one from someone who doesn't have a disfiguring STD. Here's 50 bucks."

It's all about being cautious, using your judgment, and going with your gut. And perhaps keeping a razor blade under your tongue during the entire trip.

Last edited by TOkidd; 08-06-2013 at 11:04 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 PM

340 posts, read 523,997 times
We Canadians, are definitely a friendly bunch (no doubt), but too overly naive and trusting... I don't think so.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:57 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadora View Post
We Canadians, are definitely a friendly bunch (no doubt), but too overly naive and trusting... I don't think so.
I don't know about that. I still know people who leave their front doors unlocked all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto