Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 05:53 PM

181 posts, read 499,705 times

Advertisements

I drive a long distance across the GTA and it's not so bad, traffic slows me down maybe 10-15 minutes max.

I looked at Google Maps which shows the traffic flow, and other American cities like Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle and San Francisco had much worse traffic. Clogged highways in every direction it looks like.

I know traffic should always be a concern in a city, but people in Toronto truly believe traffic is a phenomenon that only occurs in Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 06:50 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,714,899 times
It might slow your route down for only 10-15 mins, but everyone takes different routes to get to their destination. My routs from work to home have little to no traffic. But not everyone is lucky like me.

Overall, Toronto has bad traffic. Look up the various studies out there for North American cities. Toronto is always mentioned among the worst.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,059,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
I drive a long distance across the GTA and it's not so bad, traffic slows me down maybe 10-15 minutes max.

I looked at Google Maps which shows the traffic flow, and other American cities like Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle and San Francisco had much worse traffic. Clogged highways in every direction it looks like.

I know traffic should always be a concern in a city, but people in Toronto truly believe traffic is a phenomenon that only occurs in Toronto.
um, do you use the Star Trek Deluxe Teleporter 5000? The drive across your city towards Oshawa makes me want to quit my job. Die on the Gardiner, or hit a snarl on the 401...no different than some mega-cities, worse than a lot of others, and never a picnic.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:36 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,474,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post

You commute from where to where and at what hour?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:21 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,657 times
Yes more details.

I live at DVP/Lawrence. I work at Queen/University. Usually it takes me about 30 minutes to get into work driving (subway/bus combination would take an hour, and my son's day care opens at 7.40 and I have to be at work at 8.30).

The drive home takes at least 50 minutes. This makes everyday a close call from leaving at 5pm to make it for 6pm daycare pickup.

*IF* there's no accidents, or some jackass double parking infront of starbucks, then it's moderately ok. But somedays it's just killer.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:20 PM

181 posts, read 499,705 times
Comparatively, it doesn't seem so bad. People rant and rave how Toronto's traffic is worse than LA. That can't be true. The reality is, driving across the city in rush hour, there's going to be traffic. Why wouldn't there be?

I think recent studies shows that even Vancouver has worse traffic than Toronto.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:23 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,657 times
People in Toronto rant and rave about how bad traffic is; I agree Vancouver and LA traffic is worse. But then again, Vancouver is constrained by geography and bridges, and LA has one million more people than TO. So those should have worse traffic. But that doesn't mean that traffic here isn't that bad.

I don't mind rush hour traffic; I mind traffic that's bad from 7am - 11am and from 4pm - 8pm, and on Saturdays, and Sundays, and if it's slightly rainy outside

Also traffic now is the lightest it will be all year; wait until the first week school starts up again.

http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/pdf/20...nualAme-mi.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto