Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:19 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,334 times

Advertisements

You're avoiding the issue of why the double standard with JT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
A type of leaf, just not tea leaves:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 05:04 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
well, I live in Toronto, and the mayoral election probably affects me on a personal level more than the PM election, or whoever gets elected in the US (I don't know why Canada cares so much about it).
Totally agreed! Have you decided who you're voting for? John Tory has my vote!!

Old 09-13-2014, 09:20 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
So let me get this straight. You started this thread titled "Sympathy for Rob Ford" but then made outright attacks on all people and media that don't express our most "sincere" sympathies in your book. Then you bring up Justin Trudeau and want us to compare a young, healthy good-looking political star with a morbidly obese drunken clown, and you expect people to look at this comparison with a straight face?

That's right, I'm trying real hard to maintain a straight face right now.

Last edited by bostonkid123; 09-13-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-13-2014, 12:01 PM
cl4

36 posts, read 58,349 times
Quote:
I don't remember supporting him.
Cool. I just misread some of the posts up thread and it didn't seem to make sense.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
There is no double standard. Justin never lied about his smoking marijuana. Justin is in good company with millions of Canadians who have done just what he has.

Now Ford, from day one lied. PLUS crack use is a whole different ball game than marijuana. Even the law treats it differently.

Now if you have evidence of Justin hanging around criminal gangs,appearing drunk in public, videos of threatening to kill people, lying about drug use, behaving like an idiot in public and embarrassing Canadians on a level not seen before, then I suggest you contact the press.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
fair enough, but has the media been applying the same kind of scrutiny on all past mayors/government officials, including the ones they generally like?

The media's witch hunt campaign against Ford is a bit obsessive and excessive.

By the way, all the "heart felt" speech about Ford's illness, it is nothing but publicity and I don't believe a word of it. Politicians will be stupid to tell what they really feel.
Name another mayor in all of Canada that has even remotely behaved the way Ford, and his brother, have.

The media loves a freak show, and Ford has given it to them.

The Story behind the Rob Ford Story · thewalrus.ca

Old 09-13-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I don't remember supporting him.
I wouldn't say you supported him, but you definitely defended him a few times.

Your words from several posts.

"McGuinty held the province for years and was 10X worse than Rob Ford. "

"I care about a man's ability to run the city. What he smokes in his own time has zero relevance to how I judge him as a mayor.

Not that I am a fan of him, but if there is some sort of legal ground for this dimissal, then use it and dismiss him. Otherwise, just stop all the useless talk and verbal attack and let the man do this job."

"he may not be the greatest mayor, but how our leftist media such as the Star repeatedly reported about him in the darkest possible light is basically harassment. It is more like a personal vendetta than impartial news reporting."

Of course now that time has passed, it turns out that the press were correct. The mudslinging the Fords directed at the press ( remember the reporter he had to apologize to about peeking over his fence ), directed at the police chief who was doing his job ( another apology ) was childish, the stuff of farce, embarrassing to watch and nauseating.

Last edited by Natnasci; 09-13-2014 at 02:30 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 10:00 AM

I believe Ford also "is in good company with millions of Canadians" considering massive amounts of substances being smuggled across the border and never ending discoveries of drug labs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There is no double standard. Justin never lied about his smoking marijuana. Justin is in good company with millions of Canadians who have done just what he has.

Now Ford, from day one lied. PLUS crack use is a whole different ball game than marijuana. Even the law treats it differently.
Why would I contact the press if I did? They'd never report on it. That's my point, though, the red flags are their but the media is avoiding it because they're (especially the CBC) want Harper to lose and for some reason think that JT's the man who will defeat him.

Quote:
Now if you have evidence of Justin hanging around criminal gangs,appearing drunk in public, videos of threatening to kill people, lying about drug use, behaving like an idiot in public and embarrassing Canadians on a level not seen before, then I suggest you contact the press.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:37 AM

681 posts, read 1,560,881 times
Quote:
I believe Ford also "is in good company with millions of Canadians" considering massive amounts of substances being smuggled across the border and never ending discoveries of drug labs...

Why would I contact the press if I did? They'd never report on it. That's my point, though, the red flags are their but the media is avoiding it because they're (especially the CBC) want Harper to lose and for some reason think that JT's the man who will defeat him.

Ahhhhhh - the grand conspiracy. I can lend you my tinfoil hat... it will protect you!

Old 09-14-2014, 02:17 PM

That's pretty weak. Media bias is hardly in the realm of "conspiracy". But just out of curiosity, why do you wear one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto